is MAME worth it?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
edub1030
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

is MAME worth it?

Post by edub1030 »

i'd like to know if it's worth going thru all the trouble to burn MAME. i don't know what games run OK. i see a ton of "pd roms ":? available , but will MAME run them? is it worth the headache?
Moi
QuakeDev Respected
QuakeDev Respected

Post by Moi »

i havent tried it myself. i cant find any roms.... :(
Create your own Dreamcast games using the Quake-Engine:
http://quakedev.dcemulation.org/develop/getstarted.htm
edub1030
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by edub1030 »

i know where to get the "roms" at, but don't know if the games are too big to run on DC, or if just a small number of "roms" actually run. plus all the work of d/loading all the needed tools/files to put it all together to make it run :o is it worth it? (i hope someone tells me it is)
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

edub1030 wrote:i know where to get the "roms" at, but don't know if the games are too big to run on DC, or if just a small number of "roms" actually run. plus all the work of d/loading all the needed tools/files to put it all together to make it run :o is it worth it? (i hope someone tells me it is)
If you're mostly looking to play arcade games from pre 1990 or so: yes.

If you're mostly looking to play arcade games from post 1990 or so: possibly not.
edub1030
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by edub1030 »

yeah i'm not looking to emulate something that was out like last year, but say until the mid 90's, will it run? i'll sacrifice speed to play it.
edub1030
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by edub1030 »

yeah i'm not looking to emulate something that was out like last year, but say until the mid 90's, will it run? i'll sacrifice speed to play it. or do i have to look at the size of each rom to determine if it'll run or not.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

It all depends on a lot of different factors: you would be best off saying which specific game you are after and either checking if there has been a single game optimised release of it (? la TMNT) or get people to post their compatibility / speed results for you
edub1030
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by edub1030 »

cool. thanks for the advice. i love this forum!!!! :D