could the dreamcast come back if...........?

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
joako
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

could the dreamcast come back if...........?

Post by joako »

first of all, as a disclaimer, i realize that the DC is commercially dead, and that there's nothing to be done about that, and none of the following will ever happen.. (sadly)

also, let's assume that piracy never happened on the DC (which obviously scared away a few 3rd party publishers in the first place)..

now, suppose an unnamed company with very deep pockets (US or jap, doesn't really matter), stepped in and bought all the production and publishing rights to the DC from Sega, and then proceeded to completely turn everything around in the market for the DC..

i'm talking about brilliant, well-placed TV ads that concentrate on the DC's games and power (we all know it's there) and low price..
The company then sets out to prepare a "relaunch" of the hardware with several 3rd party companies set to release a few new killer aps..
Taking note of the DC's newfound success, larger companies step in and also turn things up another notch for the DC..

Think about it, though.. What would make this impossible (besides reality)? The DC is a terrifically underrated, unmarketed system that still has the ability in it to impress consumers (mainly because the next gen systems don't look much better, if at all)..

My question is, can the fate of the DC be turned around by the right company?

i know all of this won't happen, but i can dream, can't i? :)
any thoughts on this? Any points i may have missed?
discostu55555
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by discostu55555 »

no, it isnt possible... you know why, because the "dreamcast sucks, sonycubeboxmicrostationtendo is way better" syndrom is already deep set in peoples minds...
im sorry, but i have friends who insist that games that are available on dc and psx look better on psx...yes you read that right, they actually refuse to acknowledge the simple fact that the games run in higher resolutions at faster and more consistent speed with a greater draw distance, etc. i always get a tony hawk 2 looks way better on playstation than dc... and even spiderman for n64 is way better than dc... i mean people let advertising control their reality... i mean im obviously a big dc fan, but i still acknowledge other systems acomplishments, but the general public does not follow my lead...
Arbok9782
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Arbok9782 »

You missed the fact that no matter how great the games are Americans won't "step backwards" they got the next gen systems and probably won't see a reason to go back even if the games are really great. It's all about the numbers, I don't even want to tell you how much it sickens me to see a article praising the Xbox when it is obvious that the source is not baseing it on games, many older (and less wisser) people confuse the system wars like a computer war, the better system statistical wise, is to them the best system, even if it's games are not on par with the others.

It may suck but it's true, as long people know about these "better" systems no one will buy a "inferior" system. Maybe I am just angry at the Xbox, but that's how I feel about it.
SaSSO
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by SaSSO »

;) I think it COULD work- if they stress the low price and the great library of games. Show games like Shenmue and Ecco running and show what the DC REALLY can do. The low price would need to be stressed though, because thats the major app right there. Maybe a portable screen would boost sales because people could regard it as a portable system to bring on planes and such that wouldn't be such a big deal if it broke (at $50). But thats never going to happen, so theres no point in stressing it. :cry: No harm in dreaming though, right?
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

...despite it all, the whole graphics=good thing, and all that other crap, the game boy line still chugs along fine...
bo150000
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by bo150000 »

Lets use some business logic here. The cost factor to produce a DC is way over 49.99 USD. This is what Sega is selling them for now, so they can get rid of the inventory.

As for a third party building the units:

Yes they could cut production costs...lets say 50 bucks a unit (just a guess not a fact). Advertising is exspensive, distrubution, etc. It would then need to sell for at least a hundred bucks (another guess maybe higher.). Why would anyone want to buy a system that has went up in price?

It can never get under $49.99 if the company wants to turn a profit.
###############################
"I am the Game and I am that damn good."
###############################
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I have to agree with Discustu55555 I recently purchased the game Skies of Arcada (its a RPG similar to the Final Fantasy series). I haven't played it really far in, but if I was to compare the graphics on it I would compare them to those of Zelda 64 Ocarina of time. The chairactors on there look like they could have come from that game graphics wise. It is still a fun game but no way even close to comparison to Final Fantasy X.

Im not saying the Dreamcast sucks by no means I went out and bought a second one so that when my first one breaks I have a backup. No matter what people say the ps2, xbox, and even gamecube DOES out perform the Dc in most games graphics and sound wise.

Also being the Dreamcast is the easiest of the newer systems out there to play bootlegs on (the Sega Cd being the easiest) it would discourage game designers. That could have been a major factor on why the Dreamcast went the way it did?
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Ditto Stu.

But listen, whenever you get into an argument like that... just mention the fact that DC came out 4 years after PSx .

That usually satifies the laymen. :roll:
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Chalavet
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Chalavet »

On a side note, I live in Orlando, FL. Orlando is pretty big...a major city in the US. I have not been able to find a single new Dreamcast since December. Also, when they sell used, they are selling for typically $69.99 at Gamestop or even at pawn shops. Not to mention, it isn't like there are huge stacks of Dreamcasts gathering dust. Hardly!! They are gone quick. Not like N64's stacked up to the sky, but they sell because there are still a bunch of great games that you cann't find for anyother system or simply play better. I've got people at Gamestop who ask me all about the great imports on the Dreamcast. Yes, I think the Dreamcast "could" come back if it was resupported by everyone from before, and they released several of the better titles like Sega of Europe (Head Hunter, Rez, Shenmue 2, Space Channel 5 part 2) + with tranlsated versions of several other Japan releases (Eldorado's Gate Series, Sakura Taisen Series {especially since Card Captor will probably be on the WB/Toonami}, Frame Gride, Guilty Gear X, Hundred Swords, etc.}, throw into that games that could have come out but either were finished or close to finished (Half Life, Soul Reaver 2, Propeller Arena Online, etc. ?);and yes, the Dreamcast would be back with a vengeance. Also, before I forget, port the already released Sega games on the other next gen systems, and you've got a winner (Super Monkey Balls, Gun Valkyrie, Jet Set Radio Future), theoretically.
joako
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by joako »

chavalet, that's exactly what i'm talking about..

raising the price of the DC back to $80 or $100 might not be so bad for sales in this case.. it's still less than half (or half) the price of gamecube..

if the DC turned around those other factors (hardware production, 3rd party games, advertising, etc), people might not mind buying more DC's at $100.
Katana_

Post by Katana_ »

Any system COULD make a come back... 3 factors are needed
COMMERCIALS
BIG NAME GAMES
GOOD PRICE

People generally are stupid.. and have no opinion for themselves and follow the crowd.
Chalavet
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Chalavet »

Yes, Katana, you hit it on the head. Not necessarily for the feeble masses, but the fact that marketing pays. When it used to be a 2 system show with Sega and Nintendo, Sega's marketing kicked tons of booty; but with an awesome system like the Dreamcast, I don't remeber too many commercials. I remember the Super Bowl commercial of online play with the sports figures and the Quake III dude as well as WSB2K1, but that is it. If they would have had a Shenmue commercial or Jet Grind Radio commercial, forget about it. It would have been in the bag. Perhaps a nice teaser of the opening Shenmue movie before Ryo walks into the dojo with a to be continued... go to Sega.com for the full video. Also, I have to applaud Sony with all of their demo discs. The Saturn used to have these with the Bootleg Samplers which was great if you buy a system, but being able to buy a bunch of demos just makes tons of sense. It is great advertising. Imagine Quake 3 or UT with only 1 level playable online. Forget it!! People would be hooked. Show a demo of online play at the stores with the option...wanna play?? I also would have loved to see more online playable rpg games like PSO. I thought of a "specialized" game similar to PSO that would be only for a narrow audience (academic).

Who knows???
Ryo1999
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Ryo1999 »

Besides poor advertising (Who in the hell did Sega hire?) and delays. I think the reason why Sega failed (or as I like it 'took a breather'...Hey I can dream, can I?) was the Saturn. I'm not saying "It suX0rz", they did have brilliant games on the Saturn that unfortunately were not ported putting the Dreamcast in its full glory (Online NiGHTS, anyone?).

Now back about why Sega goofed up. At the first sign of loss of its debut, Sega went to do research on their next console (The DC, duh.) This took like 4,5 years until the Dreamcast debut? But why didn't Sega 'call it quits' for the Saturn and focused more onto the Dreamcast? I mean, this would give them more time, more money for research, and enough time to clean out the bugs in the launch software (Many DC launch games were defective. --and check in for inventory (Remember the VMU incident? That was the time when we couldn't play the Soul Calibur mini-game) I think that's what should've happened. Scrap the Saturn and upgrade to DC.

Oh and one other thing, I think that the dreamcast could've had a mini flashrom harddrive (Something small, like 5 megs for first-time buyers) and the ability to play your vmu-games on the system. To this date, I think the VMU was one of the grandest achievements Sega's done Though it was almost the same thing as a PocketStation, the use for looking at the screen in your controller while playing the game was excellent (Check your health on Survival Horrors, time bla bla bla. I can't carry on now because I'm not making sense =/

oh.....another problem could be was choosing the name 'Dreamcast' (Which is pretty innovative) over 'Katana' (Everyone loves ninjas!)
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Let me put this into laymen's terms...
THE
DC
IS
DEAD
IT
IS
ALWAYS
GOING
TO
BE
DEAD
SaSSO
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by SaSSO »

Hey, we can dream, can't we? :roll:
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

So are you trying to say the Dreamcast is dead then?
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Ryo1999
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Ryo1999 »

[quote="Jeeba Jabba"]
Let me put this into laymen's terms...
THE DC IS DEAD IT IS ALWAYS GOING TO BE DEAD
[/quote]

If it's already dead then how can it die now?
Lilmuckers
Resident Transvestite
Resident Transvestite

Post by Lilmuckers »

would be a great plan, but i agree with DiscoStu's post at the top

lots of people i know are in the "dc is crap" mindset

believe it or not, on soul reaver on the PSX he says the classy video sequences are better

THEY ARE EXACTLY THE SAME!

nobody around here who hasn't even played a DC can admit that it is superior.

people who have got a DC and a PSX (like myself) admit that the DC is more superior in everyway apart from the choice of games

but sega have never (apat from chu chu rocket) released a cack game, to my knowledge
http://www.Spider-Console.co.uk
the ONLY place to leave
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Veggita2099 wrote: So are you trying to say the Dreamcast is dead then?
Wow, you catch on quick..
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
zektor
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Hmpf...

Post by zektor »

The Dreamcast is NOT dead. Why does everyone think it is dead because commercial games are not going to be released anymore? From the looks of this site, it is looking more alive than I think it ever did, with so many new developments in the works. Heck, even the Colecovision isn't yet dead...people are still making things for that system!