Do you have Xbox Live?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Do you have Xbox Live?

Post by atf487 »

Haven't seen any of these in a while.

Gamertag: atf487

Games: Ghost Recon (bought it, just need to recieve it via ebay) Mechassault, Moto GP demo, and Unreal Championship
Tetris: 556-381-350-981
MKDS: 163-282-974-709
TreyDay
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by TreyDay »

My gamertag is TreyDay.

The games I have are NBA2K3, Whacked!, and Moto GP.
You don't work, you don't eat.
You don't grind, you shine.
-Mike Jones

281-330-8004, when someone picks up, ask for Mike Jones!

"It's [TreyDay] baby, I'm stackin my cheddar/plus I'm packin mo' heat than a Bill Cosby sweater"
liltimmyw
Mother Trucker
Mother Trucker

Post by liltimmyw »

My friend has it. The only Xbox Live game he has is UC. I play under the name Wompa One when I'm there or he's here.
area
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by area »

I have it. Still sealed and unused though :| (It came free with my free Xbox, before you ask :))
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Question about Xbox Live!:

what exactly do you pay for?
Other than some crappy imo demo games and a microphone.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

If I were to get an online package for a console, it would be a PS2. I wouldn't have to worry about my switch being in the proper position, I'd get more games that I fancy, no monthly fees on the majrity (on the ones I'd play) and all my friends have PS2s, so I can still play them. Although I'll stick to using PC internet gaming, or at least I will do in a few days time when my BB modem arrives.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
TreyDay
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by TreyDay »

The $50 I payed for it payed for the demos, the headset and microphone, and a subscription to the on-line service.
You don't work, you don't eat.
You don't grind, you shine.
-Mike Jones

281-330-8004, when someone picks up, ask for Mike Jones!

"It's [TreyDay] baby, I'm stackin my cheddar/plus I'm packin mo' heat than a Bill Cosby sweater"
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

liltimmyw wrote:My friend has it. The only Xbox Live game he has is UC. I play under the name Wompa One when I'm there or he's here.
Wompa One.. that sounds so damn firmiliar.. I am thinking of movies with Jay and Silent Bob...
I think Jay and Silent Bob.. where they go into the guys house.. and they see the internet.. and the guy that used to do the comic.. I forget his name.. sees someones username.. and says, something.. "chick magnet net handle, Wompa One" or something like that.
liltimmyw
Mother Trucker
Mother Trucker

Post by liltimmyw »

Xylene wrote:
liltimmyw wrote:My friend has it. The only Xbox Live game he has is UC. I play under the name Wompa One when I'm there or he's here.
Wompa One.. that sounds so damn firmiliar.. I am thinking of movies with Jay and Silent Bob...
I think Jay and Silent Bob.. where they go into the guys house.. and they see the internet.. and the guy that used to do the comic.. I forget his name.. sees someones username.. and says, something.. "chick magnet net handle, Wompa One" or something like that.
hahaha yeah
and my friend plays as "Magnolia Fan" :lol:
J&SBSB = The funniest movie ever made.
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

az_bont wrote:If I were to get an online package for a console, it would be a PS2. I wouldn't have to worry about my switch being in the proper position, I'd get more games that I fancy, no monthly fees on the majrity (on the ones I'd play) and all my friends have PS2s, so I can still play them. Although I'll stick to using PC internet gaming, or at least I will do in a few days time when my BB modem arrives.

I'm sorry, but in this instance, the Xbox clearly wins. This is the only place where I feel that the Xbox actually has a much better plan then the rest.

Talk in all games
No 56kers
Easy interface
Identity/Friends List on all games
Better Games for online...

I'm being a bitch, but I do think live is good....
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

I got the network adaptor for my PS2 just to see what it would be like, and I have to admit, it really doesn't suck nearly as badly as I thought it would. I thought about getting XBLive, but the only game I have that really supports it is RtCW, and since I play that on PC, there was no point. I got the PS2 network adaptor for THPS4, which is excellent online. I haven't experienced any dropped connections or much noticable lag. I might rent Socom to see how that is...and I'm really curious to see how Midnight Club II plays online. I might pick up XBLive when I finally get around to buying MotoGP2.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

The funny thing about Live is that you pay $50, and you get a year of Live for free. In order to play your XBox online you need the Live starter kit. You can't just say, "Hey, I want the Live service here is $10 for my first month." Purchase of the starter kit is necessary.
In other words, Microsoft is once again making you pay to access features already designed into your console.
No signature.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

toastman wrote:The funny thing about Live is that you pay $50, and you get a year of Live for free. In order to play your XBox online you need the Live starter kit. You can't just say, "Hey, I want the Live service here is $10 for my first month." Purchase of the starter kit is necessary.
In other words, Microsoft is once again making you pay to access features already designed into your console.
Same with the DVD kit. You need $30 to be able to play DVD's on it. For that price, well a little more, you can get a damn modchip, use DVD-x2, which doesn't require a remote, and play all the homebrew you want.
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

Xylene wrote:
toastman wrote:The funny thing about Live is that you pay $50, and you get a year of Live for free. In order to play your XBox online you need the Live starter kit. You can't just say, "Hey, I want the Live service here is $10 for my first month." Purchase of the starter kit is necessary.
Same with the DVD kit. You need $30 to be able to play DVD's on it. For that price, well a little more, you can get a damn modchip, use DVD-x2, which doesn't require a remote, and play all the homebrew you want.
Eh, yeah, but I wouldn't want to control DVD's without a remote, I'd buy one anyway.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

TreyDay wrote:The $50 I payed for it payed for the demos, the headset and microphone, and a subscription to the on-line service.
Yes, but my question is this:

When the years subscription is up, *what* are you actually then going to be paying for?

Servers? nope

Or is there going to be a huge upsurge in Live sales in November as everyone just buys a new Live starter kit instead of paying monthly subscriptions?

EDIT: I'm not actually bashing the Xbox, I just genuinely dont understand what exactly I'm supposed to be paying a subscription for when a Live trial subscription is used up :?
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

DetunedRadio wrote:Eh, yeah, but I wouldn't want to control DVD's without a remote, I'd buy one anyway.
I'd rather just use the remote than pay $30. All I need the remote for is to start the movie. I usually don't pause and go back and stuff.
Skater_dusto
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by Skater_dusto »

Yeah. And microsoft did the same thing with the dvd/remote dealy... but we all have to admit that their Live service still rocks sonys online blather.

Btw, I'd use xbox live if my stepdad would just pick a gosh darn gamertag! We sat around the tv for over an hour, my whole family, tossing names back and fourth. Now the live package just sits here on my computer desk. Same things goes with the router and all the other jazz we bought for him for christmas. I sure could use that $300 right about now... :cry:
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

Nyarlathotep wrote:
TreyDay wrote:The $50 I payed for it payed for the demos, the headset and microphone, and a subscription to the on-line service.

When the years subscription is up, *what* are you actually then going to be paying for?

Servers? nope

Or is there going to be a huge upsurge in Live sales in November as everyone just buys a new Live starter kit instead of paying monthly subscriptions?

EDIT: I'm not actually bashing the Xbox, I just genuinely dont understand what exactly I'm supposed to be paying a subscription for when a Live trial subscription is used up :?
Right, after your free 1yr subscription runs out, you need to pay like another $50 to get ANOTHER year subscription. Without a subscription you cant play it online. Do you understand now?
If not, for god sake go to http://www.xbox.com/live/ and read up there.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

Gmc wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:

Servers? nope

Right, after your free 1yr subscription runs out, you need to pay like another $50 to get ANOTHER year subscription. Without a subscription you cant play it online. Do you understand now?
If not, for god sake go to http://www.xbox.com/live/ and read up there.
I thought it was $10/month after the "free year". I've looked on the site, and it is not too clear on it though.

NM: On other sites they give a more clear idea of what costs you may be incurring regularly.
http://www.gameforms.com/news/?809
http://money.cnn.com/2003/04/02/comment ... mn_gaming/
No signature.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Gmc wrote:Without a subscription you cant play it online. Do you understand now?
No.

Because I'm not paying for servers, games, connection fees, ISP costs, or anything else that games companies charge money for: *WHAT exactly* is that money supposed to be paying for?

The privilege of being 'worthy' enough to use Live!? :?