paid 4 program 2 dc

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
darkmaster
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

paid 4 program 2 dc

Post by darkmaster »

what u think of make a contest with a $$ prize like the n64 contest in xbox, via pay pal (less than xbox price because dc is off fashion) to inject energy to dc scene
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

If you like. You'd have to come up with a better description than that though. But going toward a specific goal would be somewhat pointless. I think we were going to have a coding competition a while back, but nothing materialised.
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

How about a prize money for the best homebrew game in 3-5 months or whatever. We can have a topic in off-topic for the people who will send money and stuff. It can have ground rules later.
:headbang: Dreamcast :headbang:
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I think coming up with some rules first would be a good idea.
durkshady
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by durkshady »

That could be cool. But maybe a year would be better so everyone can gather and have some time to code games.
Well, I'd like to participate this thing. Let's chat on IRC sometimes.
Don't appraoach me
darkmaster
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by darkmaster »

First we need decide what type of dc software we re goin to qualify, them the rules i suggest this

Emulation: i suggest a best neogeo pocket emulator u can add more

Homebrew: Games

Ports: Anything *Portable*

DC Appz: Like dmplayer etc

Remeber we can talk here and discuss but this project only ill be realize with cooperation of all of us

What u think?
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

I think would would have to be a worth while project, else I'd never invest like I did no the N64 project.

I'd say something like Aliens V.S Predator, or Quake 2 fully working would be worth while. :)
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I doubt that you'd ever actually get Aliens vs Predator working properly, but Quake 2 should be possible. It would probably be a pain in the backside to install, since the original stuff just takes up far too much RAM.
dreamgamer
Graphics Devver
Graphics Devver

Post by dreamgamer »

I Think That it should be seperate contests. A Best Homebrew game contest, a best Emulator Contest, and a Best Port/App Contest... Just to keep it simple.... Then have voting (This time think about that a little more than before?) And keep it under 6 months, so that you give a challenge. Don't drag this out lol!

And lots of rules.... ! lol
WEEEEEEEE! I ALSO MADE DCBLAP(Music & Art)! WEEEEEEEEEEE! Check It out @ http://www.c99.org/dc/dcblap/ .
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

yea that sounds good with me.
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

dreamgamer wrote:I Think That it should be seperate contests. A Best Homebrew game contest, a best Emulator Contest, and a Best Port/App Contest... Just to keep it simple.... Then have voting (This time think about that a little more than before?) And keep it under 6 months, so that you give a challenge. Don't drag this out lol!

And lots of rules.... ! lol
That's a good general setup. But the prizes don't have to be just cash. Maybe other goodies as well, especially for a runner-up. Although, with paypal today, it shouldn't be too hard to scratch together money.

Ahh, but there is a problem, who do you give the money to? Do you collect a fixed amount ahead of time, and have someone keep it in their PP account? I only recommend paypal because its a LOT easier to handle it, no personal checks and crap to deal with. If the final winner doesn't want it sent via paypal, then you could transfer the money into a bank account and send a money order.
dreamgamer
Graphics Devver
Graphics Devver

Post by dreamgamer »

The Whole Thing sounds pretty complex... How do you split it between the contests? equally? So someone who works hard to create a game from scratch gets as much as whoever ports a game and wins? Seems like we need to think of a lot of things or something.... lol thats an interesting question too... what if you put $50 or something in a paypal account and the owner splits with it? lol that would suck :|
WEEEEEEEE! I ALSO MADE DCBLAP(Music & Art)! WEEEEEEEEEEE! Check It out @ http://www.c99.org/dc/dcblap/ .
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

If someone makes his own game he should get $50 or so. If its an emu $30.00 and if ported like $15.00 or something.
No Name
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by No Name »

dreamgamer wrote:The Whole Thing sounds pretty complex... How do you split it between the contests? equally? So someone who works hard to create a game from scratch gets as much as whoever ports a game and wins? Seems like we need to think of a lot of things or something.... lol thats an interesting question too... what if you put $50 or something in a paypal account and the owner splits with it? lol that would suck :|
Then why not use a DCEmu Staff Member with a PayPal account? They all seem pretty trustworthy to me. (well, at least more trustworthy than the average DCEmu n00b).
mmm.... n00b blood
Lucious
DCEmu Official Communist
DCEmu Official Communist

Post by Lucious »

Instead of having a contest why dont all the devvers collaborate on a project. Such as getting quake 2 fully working or possibly... well I dunno but I think there would be a much better creation if all the devvers teamed up than pit them against eachother. You could get some sourceforge CVS going with the devteam and have a really nice game/emulator or app.

And if you felt like it you could pay us.... :lol:
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Yeah, we could do. But what?
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

Well for example people could pitch together to write/rewrite parts of an emulator (perhaps yours eventually, BlackAura) or app (such as Bero's DC Media Player) to improve speed. But I still almost prefer the contest idea, since I'm not sure how many people could or would be able to help with any particular project. Although, you could sort of combine the ideas, and have a couple of contest categories with teams.

Well, whatever goes, I personally would donate like $5-10 if it ever happened. I'm sure enough others would be willing to donate a couple of bucks to get a decent pot together.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
Totally
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Totally »

I prefer the contest idea also. I believe that'll create more projects, and the competition will be on harder, pushing contestants to make their project better.
Lucious
DCEmu Official Communist
DCEmu Official Communist

Post by Lucious »

BlackAura wrote:Yeah, we could do. But what?
The easiest for a team IMO would be a mario party game style game. Each program different mini-games and then upload them to the CVS while a few work on the actual engine. And it would be great because a games replayable value is based on how much multiplayer you get out of it...
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Hmm... That's a possibility, I suppose.

Actually, I was thinking of attempting to write some kind of game devving framework anyway, but I haven't got around to it yet. I might give that a little more serious thought, and start poking around some of the other things available on the PC and DC.