Dreamcast- Getting online with NFL2k1, AFO, etc. With a BBA-

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Gundam ZZ
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dreamcast- Getting online with NFL2k1, AFO, etc. With a BBA- not the Modem...!

Post by Gundam ZZ »

Hey...

This is my first post- but I just didnt start coming to the forums. I've been hovering around, plotting my evil schemes. I wanted to post this on the DC Emu forums, cause you guys do all them hackin' stuff with all the tools and stuff... ;) Erm... now to my Question:
(p.s) Mods, if this is in the wrong forum, feel free to move it :lol:

This is about NFL2K1 and others. I basically bought my BBA for NFL2K1... and it doesnt work :evil:

So First off: NFL2K1
I really, really, REALLY want to play this game online. But my telephone company is a cheap faceless corparation that don't let you connect with a modem. So I'd like to ask a question.

On [url]http://home.elp.rr.com/terlouw/DCWinMEServer.htm[/url]
<------ that page it's a PC-DC hook-up. But somewhere in there it has info on how to make PSO work without the modem. I think you say to do something called "Blind Dial", And this makes the PSO THINK you are using a modem, but actually are not...

Now my question is: Would it be Possible to trick the Dreamcast into thinking you were dialing-up, but were actually using the BBA?

If we could do this, then the BBA would be compatible with all games... wouldn't that be sweet.

'Cause it makes me sad when there are only 6 (or 7) games that support the BBA, when there are so many other quality online titles. So can you help me? Please? :(

As i said, this may have to go in the Off-Topic forum... but this forum seems to have more users :lol:

-=Gundam ZZ=-
"Never try to teach a Pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig"
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

No

Post by Lartrak »

No. You can not trick the BBA into dialing. It is physically incapable of dialing. 56k only games will only even attempt to connect with a modem in.
discostu55555
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by discostu55555 »

heres the problem... the method described to get online with pso will not let you use pso with a bba (although there is a method for that)...what it does is allow you to use the normal dc modem to dial your pc thenr you route the call through your normal modem (cable, dsl or otherwise)... so basically what your looking for does not exist... i mean you could probably figure out a way to network your BBA and your pc's ethernet card to route the input to your normal pc modem, but that kinda defeats the point... i mean you would still need your normal dial up and it wouldnt be a broadband connection at all...so basically games that dont support BBA cant be made to support it (well besides those who have the code in the game but hidden like pso)becausethey need to dial something (even if theres no actual dialtone or real number your calling) and a BBA is just a network card and doesnt have the ability to "call" a phone network... honestly if you want to use nfl2k1 online youre either going to need to use a normal dial up account with the dc modem or route your dc through your pc (again with the dc modem) then use your broadband connection with that (which is what i do, but ive never used it for nfl2k1, so i have no clue if itll work)...either way the bba will do you no good though, so id have to say you made a poor investment (although you could sell it for a good price as they are getting hard to find)
Gundam ZZ
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gundam ZZ »

That sucks ROYALLY. But I remember in a old issue of OSDM they said they had got it to work? :cry:
Schnapple
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by Schnapple »

They had it working with an advance copy - it was disabled in the shipping version.
Gundam ZZ
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gundam ZZ »

:cry: So there is no way with all the hacking tools to make other dc games work with the bba...? :cry:
discostu55555
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by discostu55555 »

well i know with pso you can set up the broadband connection with the japanese version, so if the japanese version of nfl2k1 suports it you could try, but i highly doubt if it supports that option as nfl2k1 is one of the games taht through a dc->pc connection you need line voltage, so it is probably dial-up only... sorry, but theres likely nothing you can do (aside from using your dc modem)
MrBob
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by MrBob »

I don't think there's a way to connect straight your BBA to your broadband. However, I do know how you can use the broadband with the dc.
Set up a DC-PPP server with your computer. Connect to your computer through your DC's modem. You can then play these games through the broadband connected to your computer. The big problem is, it will only be at 33.6 kbps because you have to connect through a 56k modem. But you will be able to play them without getting a new ISP. Check out http://www.dcvision.com/Mterlouw for the new DC-PPP server page. Hope this helps.

[edit] Oops just noticed, DiscoStu said this already. Anyhow, check out the new DC-PPP server page

MrBob