Edited bin files and now they don't work

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Edited bin files and now they don't work

Post by curt_grymala »

Hello all,
I edited the 1dsnes.sh4 file, and the NesterDC and Gnuboy bin files in order to change some of the directories (I use DemoMenu, so I needed to differentiate between different rom directories and the pics directories). I used a program called VEdit to edit my bin files. Then, when I created a DemoMenu disc (using DSSBS Final) with all of the new files, I tried loading up DreamSNES and it does not do anything. I tried loading Nester, and it resets the disc (same with Gnuboy). Where did I go wrong? How do I make it work? Please help.

Thanks,

Curtiss Grymala
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
burnerO
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by burnerO »

I don't know what VEdit is, but you need to be using a hex editor.

Do a google search for "hex workshop".
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

Vedit is a hex and binary editor. I edited the files while viewing them as an ASCII file. If I edit them while viewing them as hex files, how do I know how to write snes in hex? I will try searching for hex workshop, but none of those programs will do me any good if they cannot translate for me. I don't read hex. Thanks.
DreamZone Forums

burnerO
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by burnerO »

You can do a search for ascii strings in a hex editor. There will also be plenty of plain text for you to edit.
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

After I have edited the file, do I have to scramble or unscramble it or anything? Is there any special way I need to save it? Remember, I am using it with DemoMenu, so my selfboot program will only make the DemoMenu 1st_Read a selfboot file. Does that mean that I need to have my other 1st_Read files unscrambled, or what? Please help.
DreamZone Forums

burnerO
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by burnerO »

After you have edited the bin in a hex editor you can just do a file/save.

Just out of curiosity, is there any specific reason you're using Demomenu?

Demomenu will affect both scrambled and unscrambled bins, press Y to toggle.
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

The only reason I am using DemoMenu is so that I can keep all of my emulators on one disc. That way, I do not have to burn four separate discs for my four separate emulators. Also, that way, I do not have to change discs each time I want to switch emulators. Should I be using DCHakker instead? What are your thoughts?

P.S. I downloaded Hex Workshop today, and will be trying it out tomorrow.

BTW - Do I have to unscramble the file before trying to edit it? It just occurred to me that most of the "plain files" I download say that they are already scrambled. Will that make a difference?

Thanks for all of your help. You have been tremendous.
DreamZone Forums

burnerO
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by burnerO »

curt_grymala wrote:The only reason I am using DemoMenu is so that I can keep all of my emulators on one disc. That way, I do not have to burn four separate discs for my four separate emulators.
O_o Me grabs curt_grymala and smacks him around.

Please visit the site in my signature for a whole community based on what you're wanting to do.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

There's a better way - use DreamInducer. It's got a much better menu system than DemoMenu or DC Hakker.

The only advantage to using DemoMenu or DC Hakker is that they are useful for multisession discs, usually if you're testing something. Make a boot disc using DemoMenu, swap in a standard non-bootable multisession data disc, run the program, pop the disc back in your PC, burn another session, re-boot the DC, swap the discs again...
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

My Problem:
Okay, I tried using Hex Workshop to edit the files, and I am still having the same problem. When I try to load the Nester.bin file (that is what I renamed Nester's 1st_Read.bin file after unscrambling and editing the file), my Dreamcast immediately reverts back to the opening screen (the Dreamcast logo, etc.). It does the same thing when I try to load Gnuboy. When I try to load DreamSNES, DemoMenu tells me that it has flushed the cache, and it is beginning to load program, but then it freezes. Any thoughts? Does anyone else have any suggestions as to how to achieve my desired goal?

The Point (what I am trying to accomplish):
Again, here is what I am trying to accomplish: I would like to have DreamSNES search for games in a directory called SNESRoms, instead of the default Roms directory. In addition, I would like Nester to search for its theme in a directory labeled NESPics instead of Pics, and for Gnuboy to search for its theme in gbpics instead of Pics. I would also like Nester to search for its roms in a directory called Nesgames instead of games. When you keep all of your emulators on one disc, their directories tend to overlap, and then I have Gnuboy loading up with Nester themes, and I have GenPlus displaying NES games in its rom screen, etc. How can I fix this? The one suggestion I heard so far was to edit the files using a Hex Editor. I have now tried that with two different Hex Editors. Any other suggestions?

More Rambling (background):
Again, the reason I am doing this is because I have all of my emulators on one disc, so I do not have to constantly change discs. Especially because I have a young son that enjoys playing the games, and I don't want him constantly changing the discs (and possibly damaging and/or losing them). I try to leave my emulation disc in my Dreamcast at all times (unless I actually get a chance to play my DC, and decide I might want to play one of its real games).
DreamZone Forums

ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

Head over to sbiffy.com and download the Sbi files for Neser, dcgnuboy and genesisplus. They have already been editited to use different roms and pics directories.
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

Thanks for all of your help guys. Once you guys told me that someone else had already done all the work for me, I headed over to Sbiffy.com and downloaded the SBI files. See, I did not know that Burner0 had already done exactly what I was trying to do. Thanks again for all of your help. Hopefully it will all work out now. (Although, I am kind of curious to see how NesterDC 6 differs from NesterDC 7.1, because I have only used 7.1).
DreamZone Forums

MRgotalotoftime
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by MRgotalotoftime »

I agree use burneros apps there pretty good but dir2boot makes every SB disk have a CV logo .