Analog control support in emulators

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Agent 00Zer0
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Analog control support in emulators

Post by Agent 00Zer0 »

I was just thinking it would be cool to be able to use the analog stick on the dc controller in some of the emulators like nester or smeg (these are the most updated/most complete IMHO).

The way I could see this working is to make each direction like a realtime autofire type thing, so like if you were playing a racing game and barely pushed right it would be like tapping right really slow so the car would just turn a little. by the time you had the stick all the way over it would just be like pressing right on the digital pad. optimally it would be adjustable, like the dead zone and where its full on.

i dunno...just a thought...might be too much trouble or something. seems like it'd be pretty cool though since it would be better control and since the stick is better aligned then the pad. any thoughts?
static00
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by static00 »

I like the Idea of being able to swap from digital to alalog in nester. I 've already heard this request and wouldn't doubt if it was included in a daily release.
static00
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by static00 »

I like the Idea of being able to swap from digital to alalog in nester. I 've already heard this request and wouldn't doubt if it was included in a daily release.
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

I like this idea! In the old racing games I did actually tap the dpad to simulate turning the car only slightly; A way to simulate this using the analogue stick would be very useful
Agent 00Zer0
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Agent 00Zer0 »

actually it'd be cool if the top triggers could be assigned to A and B or whatever...same kind of setup. not sure about other systems but with nes it was always A=Accelerator B=Brake...same kinda deal with DC except R=Accelerator and L=Brake...

i dunno...make adjustable throttle in racing games. just a thought. i think it'd be cool if it worked...mainly the stick though...most racing games are all or nothing :twisted:
Dr Wily

Post by Dr Wily »

as the NES and Master system didnt have analogue controls in the first place, you're straying a bit from the world of 'emulation' really.... more like redesigning the wheel :?
SmitZo
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by SmitZo »

Using Analogue stick for games.... sounds good

Yet it's impossible for DreamSnes to use it (since its used to go back to the menu) unless they changed the code somehow...

And im sure other emulators use it as the 'select' button
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

Ahh yes the 8 and 16 bit machines didn't have analogue or proportional control but you could (and I did) simulate 50% steering, throttle, etc by tapping the button on and off rapidly.
SmitZo
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by SmitZo »

U sure the snes didn't have analogue control.......IM POSITIVE that i saw arcade stick type controllers which aren't exactly the same but there MUST have been one analogue controller on the Snes or Genesis
mirrorsaw_2000
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by mirrorsaw_2000 »

SmitZo wrote: U sure the snes didn't have analogue control.......IM POSITIVE that i saw arcade stick type controllers which aren't exactly the same but there MUST have been one analogue controller on the Snes or Genesis
Well, the fact that a controller has an arcade style joystick doesn't mean that it's analogue. A digital arcade stick just makes it easier to perform rolling motions (like Ryu's fireball in Street Fighter II).
SmitZo
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by SmitZo »

yeah i know but IF you read what i said "there MUST have been one analogue controller " i have stated that arcade stick controllers aren't the same :P
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

I know this forum hasn't been updated in a while, but I recently had the same thought. I know for a fact that there was an old school NES controller with an arcade stick and arcade style buttons. It was called the NES Advantage control deck. True, it may not have actually been an analog controller, but (and I might not know what I'm talking about) does that mean that that controller could not be "emulated" by using the analog controller :? ? It is obviously not absolutely necessary, but it would be quite a bit of fun (and a whole lot easier) to play old school arcade games (like Galaga, PacMan, etc.) on Nester by using the analog control. My old NES controller like that is busted (not to mention the fact that I have 0 skills with a soldering iron :oops: ), so I would not be able to mod my old controller to work on the DC. Anybody have any new thoughts on this? Am I just SOL :cry: ? Are there aother emulators that allow me to use the analog controller? Would the MAME emulators allow that?

BTW: Here is an image of almost exactly the controller I mentioned. I picked the pic up off of Ebay. Image
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure »

here the image you were probably looking for

How many more people do the Radical Islamic Subhuman Cockroaches have to kill before people realize they need to be taken out ?
FFXI Server: Gilgamesh
FFXIV Server: Figaro
Liberals click here !!!!
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

yup. that's it.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure »

i had 2 of those sticks. they were a lot better than the nes pad, at least if you had big hands. i think frnes supports the analog stick. im not sure though since its been years since i tried it.
How many more people do the Radical Islamic Subhuman Cockroaches have to kill before people realize they need to be taken out ?
FFXI Server: Gilgamesh
FFXIV Server: Figaro
Liberals click here !!!!
Herby
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

NES max?

Post by Herby »

Wasn't the NES max controller (the one with the moveable thumb knob) an analog controller? I seem to remember it being advertised as 360 degree control.
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Captain Skyhawk »

I also have one, orignal in box and almost never used, becuase when my real NES still worked I never liked it.
pavelbure wrote: i think frnes supports the analog stick. im not sure though since its been years since i tried it.
Yes, FrNES support the use of the analog stick, but I think you can't control the game analog because the game is not programmed to do that.
Visit the DC Help for all the Dreamcast homebrew help you need!
Go to DC Evolution, for the best ready to burn images
beerbaron
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by beerbaron »

I was at funcoland today and saw they had atari paddle style controllers for the NES, they were for the game Arkinoid (a breakout type game). hmm, i just read that the controller is somewhat of a rare item, maybe i'll pick it up.

http://www.gamersgraveyard.com/reposito ... anoid.html
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by jessman »

awsome, just awsome! now I could sleuth around in snake's revenge! hehehe

Spreading his inquiries all over the net!

<^_^>
WHurricane16
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by WHurricane16 »

Captain Skyhawk wrote:Yes, FrNES support the use of the analog stick, but I think you can't control the game analog because the game is not programmed to do that.
Not true ;-) I'm not really sure about implementing it in emulation but I'm sure it's all the same. If I can find a DC example of analog controls then I can give a better answer.

Jimbo used it in his games but it seems his sources are missing on the net :-/ I'll check Boob.