For those interested in the web browser

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.

Are you interested in the web browser?

Yes
91%
No
9%

Total votes: 203
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by az_bont »

And Kev, I've just seen your new avatar - that alone is enough to make me expect great things from your release(s) of XDP :).
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Excalibur007
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Excalibur007 »

For VMU files, have you tried the VMI Tool? It links that stuff for you, then you can make the html look a bit better if you so desire.

Fathead is gonna be sending the dreamlib, but I don't have it yet. I've messed with most of my games, but SegaGen has not been one of them. I'm going to be messing with it a bit in the near future though. I doubt I could do much with dreamlib if BA couldn't since I think he's better than me at that stuff.

I'm real interested in Fathead's idea about being able to have disc access with homebrews in data/data mode. I haven't got around to working with that yet, but if someone gets Planetweb and DP to boot from a 0 offset before I do, let me know.

The only flash game I didn't get to work in XDPv7 was pong. Tetris and the others worked fine.

Later,
-Ex
Tis my sig.
Excalibur007
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Excalibur007 »

Thanks Az. I just made that while typing these posts... :D

I'm thinking the best way to give you the files may be for me to just strip down my browser comp of all apps and make a burn, then do the rest from my work computer like I mentioned before. That way, you'll get my DP2, XDP, and my Planetweb (which I like a lot). We're still talking about a huge file though... I think.

I won't be doing it today though, and maybe not tommorrow...
As I mentioned previously, I'm VERY tired, and could really use a break, so it may be a few days before I get around to doing it.

Later,
-Ex
Tis my sig.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Excalibur007 wrote:For VMU files, have you tried the VMI Tool? It links that stuff for you, then you can make the html look a bit better if you so desire.
I tried it before, but a lot of the VMI file names ended up being corrupted nonsense, Japanese-looking characters and a few windings-style ones too.
Excalibur007 wrote:Fathead is gonna be sending the dreamlib, but I don't have it yet. I've messed with most of my games, but SegaGen has not been one of them. I'm going to be messing with it a bit in the near future though. I doubt I could do much with dreamlib if BA couldn't since I think he's better than me at that stuff.
Well, BA only looked at the simple release, so maybe if we all put our heads together and had a stab at it, we might just think of something.
Excalibur007 wrote:I'm real interested in Fathead's idea about being able to have disc access with homebrews in data/data mode. I haven't got around to working with that yet, but if someone gets Planetweb and DP to boot from a 0 offset before I do, let me know.
I'll give it a try, as I don't exactly have a busy schedule, what with my Year 10 exams over and little in the way of lessons for the next 6 weeks :).
Excalibur007 wrote:The only flash game I didn't get to work in XDPv7 was pong. Tetris and the others worked fine.
Was Tetris Flash?

And would I be right in assuming that you know fatty personally, what with you both being Texans, and the fact that he's seen so much of your work that others haven't?
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Excalibur007 wrote:Thanks Az. I just made that while typing these posts... :D

I'm thinking the best way to give you the files may be for me to just strip down my browser comp of all apps and make a burn, then do the rest from my work computer like I mentioned before. That way, you'll get my DP2, XDP, and my Planetweb (which I like a lot). We're still talking about a huge file though... I think.

I won't be doing it today though, and maybe not tommorrow...
As I mentioned previously, I'm VERY tired, and could really use a break, so it may be a few days before I get around to doing it.
No worries, nobody's in a rush - PSD1 took months of hard work, and people were happy waiting. Even without all the added extras we've got planned, PSD1 is still a brilliant browser, and nobody's going to mind "putting up with it" for a while longer :).
Excalibur007
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Excalibur007 »

I just know Fathead from the internet. We've been communcating for a while now. We've never met personally except on PSO. :wink:

Well, I'm gone for now. Feeling VERY hungry. I'm glad to have caught you on at the same time as me. When are you usually on?

Later,
-Ex
Tis my sig.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Excalibur007 wrote:I just know Fathead from the internet. We've been communcating for a while now. We've never met personally except on PSO. :wink:
Oh, well it's still quite a coincidence.
Excalibur007 wrote:Well, I'm gone for now. Feeling VERY hungry. I'm glad to have caught you on at the same time as me. When are you usually on?
Once evry 28 days :P. But I'm on DCEmu every day, which on weekdays (when there's no holidays) is 4PM onwards GMT or British Summer Time (one hour difference). On weekends I'll be on from about midday onwards. Either way I wouldn't normally go more than an hour or so without logging in, up until I go to bed, which is about midnight, or maybe 1 or 2 o' clock at weekends.
BrianRus
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by BrianRus »

Hi ppl i back. But only reporting :( I did't rip from DreamKey 3. i think finish uploadin today. and post link here. And special for Nakamichi upload dpfont with cirylic support.
Last edited by BrianRus on Fri May 30, 2003 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

BrianRus wrote:Hi ppl i back. I did't rip from DreamKey 3. i think finish uploadin today. and post link here. And special for Nakamichi upload dpfont with cirylic support.
I'm glad somebody could - ten hours with a coder's cable yielded no results for me :(. Did you have a problem extracting the .tar contained in the track03.iso.gz file?
BrianRus
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by BrianRus »

No problem i use winrar is fine for me. Problem in other. Since my disk was scratched. It was necessary to polish it. But everything seems successfully
BrianRus
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by BrianRus »

ok i finish uploading check
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Excalibur007 - I can get XDP7 alone to boot with all the data in the first session, but it's not from an offset of 0 - I created the second session data image, and padded it out so that the directory actually starts near the end of the disc. I don't know if that will allow homebrew apps to access the disc, but I suppose it might work.

I really have no experience with Katana-based apps, aside from some simple playing around with the browsers, so I don't know a lot about how they use the drive, and how they run apps.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

BrianRus - did you rip anything out of DreamKey 3? The files are less than 15MB RARed, and the full disc is nearly twice that.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Oh, and whilst I'm hear, I've got something to ask: did you binhack the MAIGO.BIN file as well? I did and my disc seems to work fine, but the only reason I did it was because you needed to for SegaGEN/Lemec.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Hmm, both myself and DrWarrior can boot the discs fine, but selecting 'SETUP/MANUAL' resets the Dreamcast.
BrianRus
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by BrianRus »

nothing was ripped out. Resting? I do not know this my first experiment. So that sorry. When i make image i use this command (-hide 0.0 -l -no-pad) and hack 1st_read.bin and maigo.bin. Today i use trick 45000 lba and standart echelon metod. Maybe luck. Maybe need off protect with hack4. i don't know. Maybe bad rip. im testing and report soon. But no other bag only resering when select in first dialog i hope.
Last edited by BrianRus on Sat May 31, 2003 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

BrianRus wrote:nothing was ripped out. Resting? I do not know this my first experiment. So that sorry. Today i use trick 45000 lba maybe luck.
When you select SETUP/MANUAL on the initial start screen, does it go somewhere or reset? This is my first time too, and I've still got a lot to learn.
Excalibur007
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Excalibur007 »

Hiya all,
I've been pluggin' away at polishing my XDP. I tell ya, this thing has had so many faces over the past several months. I don't even remember when I started working on it, but I think it was sometime last fall. Mainly, my taste keeps changing, so I keep changing it as I go. I've even completely changed my PVR's and a few other things since Fathead saw it.
I hope others have a similar taste to mine, but if not... at least I'll like it. For now anyway, until my taste changes again. :lol:

Anyway, the reason for this post is that I've been going through the message.ini and the *.DPS files again. I've changed the *.DPS files to match my latest color scheme and I saw a few places in there that are in Japanese. Not many, but a few.

My question:
I've heard others mention that they ran the message.ini file through Babelfish, so can one of you email me the results of that? I have Japanese character support enabled on my PC, and I even have NJStar Communicator installed, but I can't run it through Babelfish myself. All Babelfish gets is numbers from NJStar.
If one of you sends me your Babelfish results, I can interpret whetever BbF spits out since I'm now using Ch@b and can go into the BbA settings which is where most of the Japanese still lingers.
Once I get the Babelfish squabble of the message.ini and the few lines of Japanese in the *.DPS files, I can finish translation and will have a FULLY translated XDP. You guys will love it.

Email me as soon as possible so I can do this before my NJStar demo period is up.

Many thanks,
-Ex
Tis my sig.
BrianRus
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by BrianRus »

about translate you can aslo use Opera browser olny need select word and click mouse.
Excalibur007
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Excalibur007 »

Hey guys,
I've put in any text that Dreamkey 3.0 had that our current one was missing in the message.ini, so don't sweat it.
That labor is already DONE!

Yeehaw.

Is anyone working on sending me the Babelfish translation of the message.ini?

Later,
-Ex
Tis my sig.