For those interested in the web browser

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.

Are you interested in the web browser?

Yes
91%
No
9%

Total votes: 203
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by fatheadpi »

Kefka hooked you up with the VMU-Harrdive.com VMS set? You lucky sumbitch! You'd better leave him a nice thank you in PSD 2.0. I'd register over there too, there's some people who really know a lot about DP and like Psilocybin Dreams quite a bit.

BTW, you need to get the lines of cummunication open between you and Brian and Kevin. Havn't talked to Kevin in a while, have a PM from him I should probably respond to...

The character thing is both mkisofs and the fact that Katana has sh*tty character support. That's why when you burn a SegaGen disc, you have to use underscores. It's really a combination of the two, each strategically working against us. Like the Kron, only more open about their anti-PSD feelings.
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

fatheadpi wrote:Kefka hooked you up with the VMU-Harrdive.com VMS set? You lucky sumbitch! You'd better leave him a nice thank you in PSD 2.0. I'd register over there too, there's some people who really know a lot about DP and like Psilocybin Dreams quite a bit.
Already have - one guy has already asked me to mail him a copy of PSDv1, but I just pushed him in Jeffma's direction.
fatheadpi wrote:BTW, you need to get the lines of cummunication open between you and Brian and Kevin. Havn't talked to Kevin in a while, have a PM from him I should probably respond to...
And a PM from me you should respond to :P. And yeah, I'll try and be as talkative as I can - I wouldn't mind finding out when XDPv8 is due out, as a lot of PSD revolves around XDP.
fatheadpi wrote:The character thing is both mkisofs and the fact that Katana has sh*tty character support. That's why when you burn a SegaGen disc, you have to use underscores. It's really a combination of the two, each strategically working against us. Like the Kron, only more open about their anti-PSD feelings.
Nice metaphor :D.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Which one? SegaGen or Kron? 'Cus the Kron one is a simile, not a metphor.
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

fatheadpi wrote:Which one? SegaGen or Kron? 'Cus the Kron one is a simile, not a metphor.
I reckon it was borderline metaphor/simile :P.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Well, no. The SegaGen one represents an excellent subclass of metaphor, although the name escapes me. The ocncept is basically by explaining one thing, you undertand another. Like for example, by seeing white, you understand black.

The Kron one, on the other hand, is a direct comparison using like or as, which makes it a simile according to American English.

<------- Had a VERY hard Senior English class.

I'm putting a nice care package together for you, got like 7 or 8 rar files. Fire me an e-mail so I know what address to return it to, and so I can just replay and start sending them to you. They include some original DP 3.16 and 3.0 stuff, as well as a very complete DreamLib, although the directory strucure got lost when I was downloading them off of sonicblur. You should be able to figure it out. It has everything though, 1md_emu, 1dr_lib, demo, dl, and pcemu.bin, as well as all the supporting titles. Might send you one of the original roms too.
Death-Axe
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Death-Axe »

yeah, but the problem is fixed now as i have a new isp. ^_^ so now i can just use planet web 2.6. Dreamkey really looks awful compaired to pw. Like... you get a small bit of box in the middle of the screen to look at pages n that, it loads old versions of web pages (look at http://www.crowncomputers.uk.com in ya pc then on dreamkey 3, you will see what i mean) its got troble loading quite a few pages... it doesnt like most vmu saves as they only work with pw..... the what you would call gui sux on dreamkey.... etc etc. By any chance, is planetweb 3 floating around to download anywere? and erm.... whats new in that version? does anyone know? (hey one other thing, it be nice if somone could rip all the current browsers available and make them self boot inducer (sbi) files so ppl could pick n mix ^_^) ok thats all... oh and thax for all the coading n stuff :))
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Dreamkey... you're using Dreamkey? and you like it LESS than PlanetWeb? Have you actually tried out XDP / PSD yet? ANY DP is a far, far, FAR better browser than even PlanetWeb 3.0. 3.0, by the way, is supposed to be a total joke, and somewhat worse than 2.6. Also, 3.0 was never released for free, so we can't distribute it like we do with the browsers on PSD.
Death-Axe
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Death-Axe »

fatheadpi wrote:Dreamkey... you're using Dreamkey? and you like it LESS than PlanetWeb? Have you actually tried out XDP / PSD yet? ANY DP is a far, far, FAR better browser than even PlanetWeb 3.0. 3.0, by the way, is supposed to be a total joke, and somewhat worse than 2.6. Also, 3.0 was never released for free, so we can't distribute it like we do with the browsers on PSD.

i see ok.. i'll tryout dream passport.. well the one on the psilocbin dreams cd, (i have the newest dp but im really low on cds atm) and ill see what its like :) but as il not be using it for much other than saves, vmu games n stuff ill need the pw saves to work.. dunno if they do or not.
Excalibur007
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Excalibur007 »

Hi all,
I'm glad to see you're still around Fathead. I check this thread every day and it has seemed kinda dead for a while. I've been feeling a bit perturbed about it. No one has yet responded to me or asked me anything.
I'd be happy to help you guys: Az, Nak, and all... but don't think you can keep on and that I'm just gonna give you all my stuff to throw in.
Somebody better start communicating with me or I'll drop it quick. I'm already pretty burned out. I've been working on this thing for many months and I feel pretty tired like Fathead. I need some communication about the project, and not just XDP. I have a pretty smooth running compilation of all the browsers.
Nak should be happy to know that you can listen to midis while surfing the web with mine. I've read his posts about it, (though I personally couldn't care less about midis). My Planetweb has Dreamcall because Dreamcall is the primary reason I use Planetweb, along with several friends of mine.
Anyway, I don't want to make this too long. I just want to say that I'm tired, wore out, burned out, and about to say forget it, if better communication doesn't take place soon.
---And I'm not trying to be mean--- :|

Take care,
Kevin
-Excalibur007
Tis my sig.
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Yeah Az, I'd put off the MegaDome project and get on the stuff with Kev ASAP. I've seen his stuff, it's friggin awesome, and I'll be hellapissed if you miss out on the chance to get in on it.

Man, this'll be wierd. With me, Krypt_, Curt, and Kevin gone, there won't be anymore DreamPassport Godfathers around. I guess times have changed, and this is the move to Vegas. (If you don't get this Godfather reference, you might as well turn your balls back in.)
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Well, think I'm gonna go ahead and call this my last post. I'm going to try and track down Kevin and play some PSO, I'll be on Oberon (US server) block 03 if anyone wants to find me.

It's been a lot of fun guys.

Happy trails,

Mike Felix

aka Fathead P.I.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Well, Excalibur, first off I'd like to ask if you have what you would call a "final" or at least near-final version of the eight installment of XDP. If you have, I'd love to recieve a copy, as Psilocybin Dreams seemed to revolve around that one particular browser.

Secondly, from you and everybody else, I'd like more feedback on what to do. I've had masses of items to check from fathead, but little from anyone else (except Nak, he's been sending me MIDIs on a regular basis). A few suiggestions people have thrown in are VMU saves (already taken care of) and VMU games, although I can't find any more of them on the internet. Anybody else know where I can find some?

Another point, or rather a question, how similar to DreamPassport 3 is DreamKey 3? By examining Krypt_'s research and Curt's Yahoo! board I've deduced that it's basically a stripped-down version, lacking a few of the better things like Broadband support, but apart from that it's fairly similar under the hood. Do you reckon that'd mean we'd be able to copy chunks of English text from DreamKey to replace some of the un-translated Japanese stuff from XDP? I tend to notice a lot particularly when downloading files.

FInally, anybody got any questions for me? And I'm sorry if my posts here seem a little higgledy-piggledy, it's just that a project on as big a scale as this has a lot of things to sort :?.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Oh, and Kev, just because I immediatley ask for something as soon as communication starts up between that doesn't meam that I'm mean and spiteful, and milking you for all you've got - it justs seems to be the next logical step to take, seeing as though most of my jobs rely on editing XDP and not just the PSD front-end, which little can be done for. All I can do with it is make a new theme (done), integrate all of the save games (700+ HTML files with no names, only numbers :() and start thinking of new games and applications to add. Everything else needs to be pumped into XDP, with select elements going to DCTV and pWo.

And are there any homebrew Dreamcast games you particularly enjoy? Other than Kron's latest effort, there's nothing else I can think of adding. The people's favourite, SmashTV, is a bit too big to add (3.7MB) but most of the other games are only a few hundred kilobytes.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

You can kill the music from SmashDC, or downsample it quite a bit. Most of that size is a 3MB OGG file.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

BlackAura wrote:You can kill the music from SmashDC, or downsample it quite a bit. Most of that size is a 3MB OGG file.
This is where I need to ask a favour of you, BA. In order for the game to be launched properly, it must be contained inside a single BIN, just like the RomDisc version. However, if we were to edit the OGG file, we would need to have it compiled again. Would you be willing to do that for us, if it weren't too much trouble?
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

It'll mean I'd have to install and compile a version of KOS 1.1.7. However, since I've compiled KOS 1.2.0 about three times today (twice in Cygwin, once in MinGW) and I plan on doing it at least twice more (Linux and BSD) it shouldn't be too much hassle. I've compiled SmashDC before too.

What do you want done with the OGG file? Downsample it? Shrink it? Remove it completely? Replace the OGG file with a GYM dump from the MegaDrive game SmashTV?
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

BlackAura wrote:It'll mean I'd have to install and compile a version of KOS 1.1.7. However, since I've compiled KOS 1.2.0 about three times today (twice in Cygwin, once in MinGW) and I plan on doing it at least twice more (Linux and BSD) it shouldn't be too much hassle. I've compiled SmashDC before too.

What do you want done with the OGG file? Downsample it? Shrink it? Remove it completely? Replace the OGG file with a GYM dump from the MegaDrive game SmashTV?
I didn't realise you could do that with GYM files :o. If the music is the same, replace it with a GYM then. Thanks BA, you've really made my day. And on a completely un-related note, I've just realised that Mr T in the A-Team was also BA :).
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

It sounds a lot like the music from the MegaDrive version.

(fires up Gens)

It's not the music from the MegaDrive version, but it sounds very similar. I think it might actually be ripped from the SNES version...

(rummages around backup CD for SmashDC and source code)

It sounds like it could be from the SNES version. I don't have the SNES version on me to check it out, but it sounds a lot like it to me. It's got that slightly more "sampled" sort of sound to it, whereas the MegaDrive version has a more synthesised sort of sound.

Well, I can't magic up an SPC player out of nowhere, but I could probably get it playing the MegaDrive version's music with little problem. Or, of course, I could re-rip the SNES version music, save it as a shorter OGG file (this one repeats two or three times), and downsample it a bit. The SNES version does sound a fair bit better than the MegaDrive version.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

BlackAura wrote:It sounds a lot like the music from the MegaDrive version.

(fires up Gens)

It's not the music from the MegaDrive version, but it sounds very similar. I think it might actually be ripped from the SNES version...

(rummages around backup CD for SmashDC and source code)

It sounds like it could be from the SNES version. I don't have the SNES version on me to check it out, but it sounds a lot like it to me. It's got that slightly more "sampled" sort of sound to it, whereas the MegaDrive version has a more synthesised sort of sound.

Well, I can't magic up an SPC player out of nowhere, but I could probably get it playing the MegaDrive version's music with little problem. Or, of course, I could re-rip the SNES version music, save it as a shorter OGG file (this one repeats two or three times), and downsample it a bit. The SNES version does sound a fair bit better than the MegaDrive version.
Well, then a low-bitrate OGG file seems like the way to go. Try setting it to the lowest VBR you can - you should be able to set it with a maximum bitrate of 45kbps, the lowest OGG seems to support (but it still sounds nice). If you don't think that's the best way to do it, then you do what you think's best. THanks again BA :).
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I'd prefer to get the original music from one of them. That either means a GYM or VGM file with a player attached, which shouldn't be that hard as long as nothing goes wrong - I can just rip some code from Genesis Plus, tie it to a basic player, at attach that to the KOS sound stream. Or, it means trying to find a ROM of Smash TV for the SNES, or an SPC soundtrack, and converting that to an OGG file.