NesterDC Incompatibilities?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Ze_ro
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

NesterDC Incompatibilities?

Post by Ze_ro »

Everything I read tells me that NesterDC is pretty much perfect, but after burning a Nester disc, I've found that a number of the games that I included don't work properly. Some of them (Like Gyruss) show a black screen, yet I hear sound effects... others (like Pinbot and Tiny Toon Adv. 2) just show a black screen... and some (Like Legend of Zelda 2) just drop Nester straight back to the menu screen.

Meanwhile, I try these roms using a PC-based emulator, and they work fine. Has anyone had this problem? Could these files be in an odd format that NesterDC doesn't understand (perhaps unusual header information)? I don't mind missing out on games like Bigfoot and Back To The Future, but Legend Of Zelda 2 not working kinda sucks.

--Zero
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

Zelda 2 works fine for me. You probably have a corrupt ROM. Sometimes some emulators are more picky over ROMs than others.

Try using GoodNES to validate your ROM.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Some games don't seem to work properly for some people on NesterDC 7, but they do on NesterDC 6. Others have never had any problems with NDC7.
Ze_ro
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Ze_ro »

Whoops... probably should have mentioned that I'm using NesterDC 7.1... Guess I'll have to verify my roms and see what happens.

--Zero
farrell2k
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by farrell2k »

nester dc 7.1 has less compatibility than 7. If I am not mistaken, fumi optimized nester's sound, and ended up breaking a few things.
Ze_ro
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Ze_ro »

Well, sure enough, Zelda 2 was a bad dump. In fact, I had a bunch of bad dumps in there, although the only two that caused problems were Zelda 2 and Marble Madness. Meanwhile, supposedly bad dumps of Athena and Dig Dug 2 (and a number of others) seem to work fine. Oh well, I guess I'll look for replacements. However, many games that didn't work turned out to be good dumps... notably Castelian, Gyruss, and Rygar.

So, which version is recommended for the highest compatibility? 7.0?

--Zero
Smirre
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Smirre »

Captain Planet and the Planeteers doesn't work on NesterDC. Someone in here said it works on FrNES though
Ze_ro
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Ze_ro »

Here's a list of the games that wouldn't work on my NesterDC 7.1 that were confirmed good dumps by GoodNES:

Games that show just a black screen:
Adventures of Rad Gravity
Alfred Chicken
All-Pro Basketball
Bigfoot
Castle of Dragon
Death Race
High Speed
L'Empereur
Mig-19 Soviet Fighter
Pinbot
Robocop 3
Stadium Events
Tiny Toon Adventures 2
Treasure Island Dizzy
Wally Bear & The No Gang
Widget
Win, Lose or Draw
Zen - Intergalactic Ninja

Games that show just a black screen, yet play sound effects:
Castle of Deceit
Cliffhanger (white screen instead)
Gyruss
Silent Assault (Music sounds garbled)

Games that screw up in other ways:
King of Kings (Flashing garbage on screen, can't start game)
Ninja Kid (Garbled graphics, can't start game)
Rygar (Glitchy, and quickly hangs when play starts)
Skull & Crossbones (Flashing garbage, can't start game)
Tiles of Fate (Game quickly hangs after screen flashes)
Videomation (Refuses to start)

Luckily, most of those are rather forgettable games, and considering the number of roms that I had on there, this is a rather small amount of non-working games.... but not having Rygar or Gyruss kinda sucks. Can anyone confirm that these don't work in 7.1? Or that any of them DO work in 7.0?

--Zero
Hobbes T Tiger
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Hobbes T Tiger »

So, which version is recommended for the highest compatibility? 7.0?
I play Nester a lot and imho 6 is the best version going. I tried 7.0 and 7.1 to get light gun support but had a lot of problems, it seems to depend on a lot of things.

6 is everything 7 is just without the light guns... depends how important that is to you. 6 is perfection for what it does.
Sega of Japan wrote:Offline - No confusion! No Boring! No Silence!
Online - No Loneliness! No Typing!
Zero V.1
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Zero V.1 »

dont forget about the all powerfull Captain skyhawk, the graphics are messed up and the sam with Battle Toads.
Smirre
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Smirre »

Ze_ro wrote:Rygar or Gyruss kinda sucks. Can anyone confirm that these don't work in 7.1? Or that any of them DO work in 7.0?
--Zero
Odd list of games for me but Tiny toons adventure 2 works on 6. Few others too but i haven't ever heard of majority of those gamenames. Rygar works on NesterDC 6 too. You should play with nesterdc 6 :)
farrell2k
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by farrell2k »

yep, rygar definately does not work on 7.1, but does work on 7, and on 6.
Ze_ro
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Ze_ro »

Well, I borrowed my friend's Nester 6.0 CD and tried some stuff... out of all the games I listed, here's what I found:

Some of the games I mentioned must be somehow bad (despite what GoodNES says), since the following DO seem to work on 7.1 if I play the versions from his CD:

Adventures of Rad Gravity
All-Pro Basketball
Bigfoot
Castelian (my version actually shows a trademark screen which his doesn't)
Castle of Deceit
King of Kings
Mig-29 Soviet Fighter
Videomation
Tiles of Fate
Silent Assault
Pinbot
Ninja Kid
Win, Lose or Draw

It's also worth pointing out that most of the above games that didn't work with 7.1 also refuse to work with 6.0 (That is, using his CD to play roms from my disc would fail in the same way). Perhaps it's some weird rom header that Nester doesn't understand or something, I have no idea.

The following games worked fine with Nester 6.0, but didn't work with 7.1:

Alfred Chicken
Battle Chess (7.1 can play this game, but the graphics are garbled)
Castle of Dragon
Cliffhanger
High Speed
Legend of Zelda 2 (Even the bad rom I have works with Nester 6.0)
Marble Madness (Again, even with a bad rom it works)
Rygar
Tiny Toon Adventures 2
Zen - Intergalactic Ninja
Widget

And the following roms didn't work with either version:

Death Race (Black screen)
Gyruss (Black screen, but sound still plays)
L'Empereur (Black screen)
Skull & Crossbones (Major graphics problems)
Stadium Events (Black screen)
Wally Bear & The No Gang (Black screen)

These last 6 games might just be due to both my friend and I having the same bad roms, I don't know. I guess it's a good thing that I actually bought the Gyruss cartridge for the NES...

--Zero
fritter
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by fritter »

You forgot ACTION 52!!!!!!!!
Ze_ro
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Ze_ro »

By the way, I did end up finding copies of Gyruss and Zelda 2 that worked with 7.1.

--Zero
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Captain Skyhawk »

With the reports here and the ones that where submitted to me, I finally updated the games test list at the DC Emu Knowledge Base. I retested almost every report and some games did just work. So be sure you have a good rom.

I also noticed that indeed NesterDC 7.1 has a poor compability compared to 7.0 and 6.0. Also some games just don't work in all versions. I also got a report that all Koei games aren't working or working how they suposed to be. Can someone confirm that?

The following games needed to be retested, I don't have these roms can someone tell me how they work?

Black screen:
Action 52
Death Race
High Speed
Stadium Events
Treasure Island Dizzy
Wally Bear & The No Gang
Widget

Skull & Crossbones (Flashing garbage, can't start game)
Tiles of Fate (Game quickly hangs after screen flashes)
Musashi no Ken (J) (can't play)
Downtown - Nekketsu Koushin Kyoku
Soreyuke Dai Undoukai (J) (4P game have problem in controller)
Visit the DC Help for all the Dreamcast homebrew help you need!
Go to DC Evolution, for the best ready to burn images
Smirre
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Smirre »

Captain Skyhawk wrote:The following games needed to be retested, I don't have these roms can someone tell me how they work?
I tested these roms (except jap ones, I don't have jap roms) on NesterDC6 PAL. I have used GoodNES tool and i don't have any bad dumps.

Action 52 ---Works
Death Race ---Black screen
High Speed ---Works
Stadium Events ---Black screen
Treasure Island Dizzy ---What is this games real name? GoodNES doesn't know this game and i didn't have it either
Wally Bear & The No Gang ---Black screen
Widget
---Works

Skull & Crossbones (Flashing garbage, can't start game) ---it hangs too
Tiles of Fate (Game quickly hangs after screen flashes) ---Screen flashed at intro screen and before start a bit but worked very well. no hangs
Downtown - Nekketsu Koushin Kyoku ---Not sure is Downtown Special same game as this? However I have Downtown Special and it works. That game reminds me a lot of Street gangs aka River City Ransom
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Captain Skyhawk »

Thanks a lot! :D I update the page ASAP. I don't know what game Treasure Island Dizzy is, Ze_ro reported that in this topic. If anyone knows more games please post them here.
Visit the DC Help for all the Dreamcast homebrew help you need!
Go to DC Evolution, for the best ready to burn images
Ze_ro
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Ze_ro »

Smirre wrote:Treasure Island Dizzy ---What is this games real name? GoodNES doesn't know this game and i didn't have it either
I have no idea where I got the rom from, but I think I've had it for quite some time. The only NES emulator I have at the moment is MESS, and it doesn't seem to work in there either... it's quite possible that it's a bad rom, or something weird.

However, there is a version of Treasure Island Dizzy as part of the Quattro Adventure ROM... it's a Codemasters game that was originally made for the C64 I believe. It's actually quite good. Some of the games from the multi-game Codemasters games appear on their own cartridge, and some don't...
Tiles of Fate (Game quickly hangs after screen flashes) ---Screen flashed at intro screen and before start a bit but worked very well. no hangs
I think this is specific to the ROM... when I burned my first Nester 7.1 disk, I noticed this same effect... but I eventually made another disk with a different version of the ROM, and it works fine. The same ROM was also tested with Nester 6.0 and worked fine on it as well. I haven't run GoodNES on it yet, but it's probably an [a] or something.

I haven't played the game thoroughly, but it definitely gets past the title screen without any problems.

I have a version of Marble Madness that works with Nester 6.0 but not with 7.1. In both versions, the intro message (the one showing the time you get for the level) shows some garbage graphics. With 7.1, you can move the marble for a second or so before the game hangs. Other than the garbled message, the game is completely playable in 6.0 from what I can tell.

--Zero
FlashPV
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by FlashPV »

I hope there'll be a new version fixing the broken games... :?