Windows Media Audio

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Captain Tokyo
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Windows Media Audio

Post by Captain Tokyo »

Is this actually legal to use in a DC homebrew movie player?
I remember asking the guys at Project Mayo if DC-DivX would ever support WMA and they basically laughed, saying "not a chance" as it would be illegal. I believe there was a recent post there to the same effect. :|
dbloom
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by dbloom »

It's legal until you get caught.
Don't let me see you doing it.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

GypPlay managed to use copyrighted Microsoft stuff without anybody batting an eyelid, but WMA audio support would probably be too hard to impliment. You'd be better off with the open-source OGG format - but then didn't you say you couldn't convert WMA to anything else?
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

It has that annoying DRM stuff embedded in it. It's possible to bypass, of course. I've seen guides on the 'net about converting WMA to other formats, like MP3 and OGG, amongst others. But it'll sound worse because it's converting from one lossy compression format to another.

WMA is, in my opinion, vastly inferior to other formats like OGG Vorbis, or even MP3. It just sounds hollow and empty. It sounds like it strips virtually all the harmonics, even the audiable ones, and it doesn't really compress any better than MP3, and certainly doesn't compress any better than Vorbis does.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

BlackAura wrote:WMA is, in my opinion, vastly inferior to other formats like OGG Vorbis, or even MP3. It just sounds hollow and empty. It sounds like it strips virtually all the harmonics, even the audiable ones, and it doesn't really compress any better than MP3, and certainly doesn't compress any better than Vorbis does.
Oh, I wouldn't say that - I downloaded some Squaresoft music remixes by The Black Mages in WMAv8/9 96kbps and it sounded just as good as the 192kbps VBR MP3s. Maybe the corporate encoder with 2-pass VBR is better, though.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Possibly. I've never listened to any professionally encoded WMA stuff, only encoding tests that I've done with the encoder that comes with Windows. And it's not that impressive, really.

That was comparing the same songs encoded with Media Player 8 (WMA), LAME (MP3), and the official Vorbis encoder (OGG). And WMA pretty much lost every time, in my opinion. Then again, MP3s aren't that good either. They sound kinda hollow and empty too, just not as much as WMA does.
aced411
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

windows media

Post by aced411 »

I agree. Windows media sounds like crap compared to .ogg, and at best sounds like a badly encoded mp3. You have to get a high bitrate for a decent sound.
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

BUt WMA does have support for 5.1 surround sound, which no other audio format (besides MP2) supports. I imagine it would be quite handy for DVD-rips played through the XBMP, if only as a slightly better-sounding alternative to AC3.
dbloom
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

MP2

Post by dbloom »

az_bont wrote:5.1 surround sound, which no other audio format (besides MP2) supports.
/me suddenly looks up with bright look on his face, screams "MP2 SUPPORTS 5.1? I LOVE MP2! OMGWTFPGP"
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Re: MP2

Post by az_bont »

dbloom wrote:
az_bont wrote:5.1 surround sound, which no other audio format (besides MP2) supports.
/me suddenly looks up with bright look on his face, screams "MP2 SUPPORTS 5.1? I LOVE MP2! OMGWTFPGP"
Yes - and in Europe at least, MP2 is the official surround sound format for DVDs, even if it's never used. It is thereotically (sp?) possible to have up to 7.1 channels of audio, and applications already exist that allow 5.1 channels. I had a SVCD copy of LOTR2 that had 5.1 sound spanning 4 discs - very nice :).
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

So, how come MP2 supports 5.1, and MP3 doesn't? That's just weird.
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Isn't MP2 the sound format in VCDs? How come SVCDs support multi-channel audio but VCDs dont?
dbloom
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by dbloom »

There simply aren't enough bits in VCD to have room, LOL.
I'm pretty sure that in the VCD standard, sound maxes out at 384kbit/s, which is far to little for surround sound.
Plus, the VCD player hardware simply can't handle it.
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Is there a way to convert ac3 5.1 to mp2 5.1? I have a few fansubs I want to convert to SVCD and to keep the 5.1 surround would be nice :).
dbloom
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by dbloom »

SVCD can use AC3 iirc, so there's no conversion required.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Depends on the hardware you're using, but I'm pretty sure that you can put AC3 into an SVCD. At least, you can put it into an MPEG-2 program stream, and you can put it into an SVCD stream too.
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I read a few guides on it, and it seemed like too complex for me. I am too lazy to follow all the steps it takes, guess I'll have to settle with normal stereo through pro-logic 2 for now.
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

When you say say MP2, that sounds like Mpeg-1 layer 2, like MP3 is Mpeg-1 layer 3. So if you mean mpeg-2 audio, say so. Don't confuse ppl.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
PiratePete
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by PiratePete »

az_bont wrote:BUt WMA does have support for 5.1 surround sound, which no other audio format (besides MP2) supports. I imagine it would be quite handy for DVD-rips played through the XBMP, if only as a slightly better-sounding alternative to AC3.
Just jumping in to mention that AAC (Advanced Audio Coding) supports 5.1 surround (it IS made by Dolby). Also, in my personal tests, it sounds better than WMA and the same as OGG.

It's also a standard, as opposed to a MS corporate secret.
dbloom
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

PATENTS SUCK!

Post by dbloom »

PiratePete wrote:It's also a standard, as opposed to a MS corporate secret.
But it's a standard with patents, and a standard with patents is worse than no standard at all.
Use MP2 if you need surround sound...it's the 'morally best' format, and has pretty kickin' quality at high bitrates, too.