DivX-DC is out.

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
JCC!
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

DivX-DC is out.

Post by JCC! »

Get it here.

Now I'm no professional coder. I'm not even an amateur coder. But I'd love to try this application out.

The problem is that it's presented as pure source code. How do I compile this to run on the DC? Once I've done that, how do I burn this to a disc to use on the DC?

Any help would be appreciated.

-JCC
miah
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by miah »

Uhm.. it says that in the zipfile is the source *and* the elf binary. So you basically need to a. load up KOS over serial and upload that elf file, or create a bootable disk with KOS on it that loads that binary on startup..

-miah
JCC!
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by JCC! »

miah wrote: Uhm.. it says that in the zipfile is the source *and* the elf binary. So you basically need to a. load up KOS over serial and upload that elf file, or create a bootable disk with KOS on it that loads that binary on startup..
"A" isn't an option. "B" is, but I don't know how to do it.

Any suggestions?
sam17
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by sam17 »

some one copile it please.
JustinVisible
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by JustinVisible »

Yes someone please compile it for us with no broadband adaptors or develepors cables (yet anyway's)

I want to try it :p
BurgerKing-Where Ca$h is King
ultradude
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by ultradude »

gottahavit just posted this in the forum a few mins ago:

ok LiENUS is making the DJ image now, should be up soon. you do not need to compile howver there is an elf in the zip file.

as for performance, I think this is currently on par and maybe a little better than the CE version and of course supports disc swapping and file selection. I think there is still a lot of room for improvement.

I guess we can all watch DivX on our DC very soon :)
JustinVisible
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by JustinVisible »

Ok than no worrying for me Cool :)
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Captain Skyhawk »

If you can't wait to try it out, Tukon released an 1st_read.bin (scrambled for selfbooting) of it! You can get it at his site:
http://home.pacbell.net/creichow/dreamcast.htm

WARNING:There was also a DJ Image release, but that one is not working!

Altough I selfbooted it with ease, i can't run any of the movies I have. Or the Dreamcast resets after selecting a divx, or the image just freeze. Most of them have no sound and are not above 320x240... Somebody else has the same problems with this 1st_read.bin?

And at least, should I release a (working) DJ Image of it?
Visit the DC Help for all the Dreamcast homebrew help you need!
Go to DC Evolution, for the best ready to burn images
Dr Zoidberg
The Filth
The Filth

Post by Dr Zoidberg »

Captain Skyhawk wrote: should I release a (working) DJ Image of it?
Yeah, might as well, somebody else might get something working with it.
Dr Zoidberg
The Filth
The Filth

Post by Dr Zoidberg »

There's some video's on gottahavit's website that should work:

http://home.adelphia.net/~mdukette/downloads.html
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Try it now!

Post by Captain Skyhawk »

Ok, here is my selfmade DJ Image of Divx DC. I took the original divx.elf file and converted it to a divx.bin with Turrican2K's elf2bin.

You can download it here 3.9MB:

There are 2 divx files included:
Cookie Blues
With the following specs: 240 x 176, 2822 frames, 29,970 frames/sec, 26 kB/sec
Findings: This one works perfect. I downloaded it form the sample page of gottahavit site. But I don't know in wich way it's encoded.
Dave Mathews Full
With the following specs: 240 x 320, 878 frames, 11,985 frames/sec, 13 kB/sec
Findings: This one doesn't work and resets the Dreamcast. Obvious because the resolution is higher than the supported 320x240.

You can swap your own disc, but I don't know if you must burn that disc in mode 1. I got one (burned in mode 2), but I can't get anything to display, altough he display all the files.

It is really easy to try this now. I hope you all do and post your findings what will run and what not. Also Gottahavit asked why there was so much demand for this and nobody replies how it worked for them. So come on, try it and tell us!
Visit the DC Help for all the Dreamcast homebrew help you need!
Go to DC Evolution, for the best ready to burn images
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

Well, I'm watching The Simpsons in Divx format on my DC :) :D
It works great (for first release)!!
I encoded my episode from a vcd compatible mpeg file. I used Divx4.0 codec bitrate of 375, 29.97fps, MPEG Layer-3 32kbits/s 22050 Hz Mono Audio, 352X240pixels. I got a 22min 73mb avi file.
There was a little bit of slowdown but it was very watchable. I'll porbably use a lower bitrate next time. When the picture was all black it looked very clear not blocky like I expected it to be. Very cool.
Big thanks to gottahavit for this divx player! ;)

Oh yea, I used ip.bin from frnes, descrambled the 1st_read.bin, burned it with NERO (mode1, level1, multisession) and booted with Utopia.

-Zac
JustinVisible
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by JustinVisible »

Sounds good I'm gonna burn this tonite
:p 8)
NoKY
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by NoKY »

So how do you work this thing? do you just burn this as an image file, and then just put it in after a boot disk, and then put the DivX in?
I am confused... what is that light?...
-:NoKY steps into the light:-
----
Dr Wily

Post by Dr Wily »

For those interested, this is what I've discovered;

Your DC resets *only* if the filename of the DivX movie is more than the 8.3 character DOS standard (or Mode 1 in NERO)

There doesnt appear to be any problems with file length; there also seems to be some partial support for DivX 3.11, as one of the disks I tried played audio, but messed up video when I tried it in the player.

Im still trying to find the best settings, but a bit rate of about 450Kbps seems ok...

There is also a ready to Burn self booting NERO image available HERE for those who cant be bothered / dont know how to make their own, and as it supports disk swapping you might be wise to pick it up if you have any DivX CDs you would like to test out

EDIT:
Captain Skyhawk wrote: Dave Mathews Full
With the following specs: 240 x 320, 878 frames, 11,985 frames/sec, 13 kB/sec
Findings: This one doesn't work and resets the Dreamcast. Obvious because the resolution is higher than the supported 320x240.
Use the rotate filter in VirtualDUB to make it a correct resolution; its been PocketPC 'optimised' (ie turned round so it looks better on a PocketPC)
NoKY
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by NoKY »

Nyarlathotep I tried your IMAGE file for NERO and its not SELF boot, what I did is use the boot disk to try it out, and then Nyarlathotep's file, then a pic of 2 guys showed up, but it was way to laggy and it didn't boot up... I still need help on instructions on how to use this crap... thx
I am confused... what is that light?...
-:NoKY steps into the light:-
----
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

NoKY wrote: Nyarlathotep I tried your IMAGE file for NERO and its not SELF boot, what I did is use the boot disk to try it out, and then Nyarlathotep's file, then a pic of 2 guys showed up, but it was way to laggy and it didn't boot up... I still need help on instructions on how to use this crap... thx
First of all don't call this "crap" divxDC is the coolest thing since DreamSnes. You can download an unscrambled 1st_read.bin here. Just burn this with your DivxV4 movies MODE-1, LEVEL-1 with NERO (use multisession if you want to add more movies) and boot with the boot cd.

-Zac
medv4380
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by medv4380 »

Just Take the DJ image link on this form and use the cdi2nero program and you'll have a self boot nero image.
DCLXVI
ultradude
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by ultradude »

Nyarlathotep: OK....what u said about the MODE ..useing NERO or EASY CD ..how can i burn a CD Compatible with DC DivX?
Matt Wilson
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Matt Wilson »

Also, be careful about what audio codec you use when you encode it. If you use standard AVI audio, it will go out of sync. MP3 audio should be okay, as long as you listen to instructions and use 22khz or 44khz.

Aqua Teens and Harvey Birdman used AVI audio and the audio went out of sync after about 4 or 5 minutes.

Family Guy used mp3 audio and it was fine the whole way through.

Actually, up to 600kbps is fine in alpha 2, although again, if you use AVI audio, that only makes the sync worse.

This is great though.. I can fit 3 MST3ks on each disc... :)