DDR for DC

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Shilar
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

DDR for DC

Post by Shilar »

Funny question really, but with all the DDR sims on the PC, with some even presenting the source code, has not someone tried to convert the sims or one of them to the DC? Personally, big fan of the DC, and am trying a lot of things, even Linux Mugen for it.

Also, another crazy, but is there a DOS DC emu?
Why is it for every game system bulletin board, there's more people bashing the system than those praising it?

Dreamcast: Mankind's last hope for open-ended gaming.
brougham77
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by brougham77 »

A homebrew DDR game would be sweet on DC. I think a lot of people would like that.
polochon
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by polochon »

You should try Feet of fury one of the best homebrew game on the DC : http://homebrew.dcemulation.org/fof.htm
Le site sur l'?mulation dreamcast en fran?ais c'est http://www.dcreload.fr.st

oggy aka polochon ;)
Shilar
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Shilar »

polochon wrote:You should try Feet of fury one of the best homebrew game on the DC : http://homebrew.dcemulation.org/fof.htm
Great idea, though I really mean a DDR sim, like DWI or Stepmania.
Why is it for every game system bulletin board, there's more people bashing the system than those praising it?

Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Feet of Fury is supposed to be compatible with DWI files, but you have to manually edit the offset to get it working right for some reason. We'll see when the final comes out.
Shilar
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Shilar »

But I bet Feet of Fury can't handle most of the DDR freezes, or changes in tempo. I'm talking DDR, not something that looks like it. :?

Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Shilar wrote:But I bet Feet of Fury can't handle most of the DDR freezes, or changes in tempo. I'm talking DDR, not something that looks like it. :?
If you want DDR then you have to ask Konami to release it for DC.

Or theres a slim chance you'll be able to use the PSX versions in the future...
Agent21KGB
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Agent21KGB »

There are two mixes of ddr on the dc. What he wants in newstuff. You can use the psx versions with bleemcast they run great.
EvilSporkMan
God Of All Things Sporkish

Post by EvilSporkMan »

If bleemcast had ever been released for DDR, I guess they would...^_^
By the way, don't buy cheap 3rd-party pads from ebay, the life expectancy is not good
You can go anywhere you want if you look serious and carry a clipboard.
HyperG
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by HyperG »

Umm i do recall that DDR was released for Dreamcast at one time. I don't remember which one it was though.
If you think typing 'make' is hard, forget coding.
If you can't figure out the commands to DC-Tool, forget coding.
If you think coding is as easy as typing printf("Hello World\n"); , shoot yourself.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

Dance Dance Revolution 2nd Mix and Dance Dance Revolution Club Version were released for on the DC
Yumeii
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Yumeii »

I posted something about this earlier somewhere else. Anyhow, I don't think it's the DDR games that we're trying to get at here for DC. But things like Step Mania (which is what I'd prefer) to be ported from the PC to the DC. It even has the source code ready for anyone to take and recreate for the DC. Since you can use custom songs and even make your own DWIs and stuff for it, you have an edge over the officially released ones from Konami.

Something like Feet of Fury just doesn't really cut it. Although it is a fun game on its own right, the interface for something like Step Mania is much better and also FoF is waaay to battle oriented. Even 1 player mode is battle oriented. You can't just plain play the game if you wanted to well... play the game. You are forced to battle it out with wierd effects ALL THE TIME.
Wasgo
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Wasgo »

Yumeii wrote:I posted something about this earlier somewhere else. Anyhow, I don't think it's the DDR games that we're trying to get at here for DC. But things like Step Mania (which is what I'd prefer) to be ported from the PC to the DC. It even has the source code ready for anyone to take and recreate for the DC. Since you can use custom songs and even make your own DWIs and stuff for it, you have an edge over the officially released ones from Konami.

Something like Feet of Fury just doesn't really cut it. Although it is a fun game on its own right, the interface for something like Step Mania is much better and also FoF is waaay to battle oriented. Even 1 player mode is battle oriented. You can't just plain play the game if you wanted to well... play the game. You are forced to battle it out with wierd effects ALL THE TIME.
At this point in time, no one wants to port it, and I don't think Stepmania could even be ported, as it's not written well for low end machines...
Shilar
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Shilar »

And Dreamcast is a low-end machine? I ran Stepmania flawlessly on a 550Mhz AMD Athlon w/ 128 meg mem, with the Kyro II engine (DC's graphics come out better). It's all I ask, is for a DDR sim, just like DDR.

EvilSporkMan

Post by EvilSporkMan »

I think I've mentioned this before: DWI can be configured to use SDL. The Dreamcast now has SDL libraries. So, DWI would probably not be difficult to port, and it's a lot less of a resource hog than SM. Unfortunately, the source for DWI hasn't been released publicly.
You can go anywhere you want if you look serious and carry a clipboard.
Wasgo
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Wasgo »

EvilSporkMan wrote:I think I've mentioned this before: DWI can be configured to use SDL. The Dreamcast now has SDL libraries. So, DWI would probably not be difficult to port, and it's a lot less of a resource hog than SM. Unfortunately, the source for DWI hasn't been released publicly.
Nor will it. The author is very protective of his source code, and won't release it. I think there are other DDR sims now that could be ported though...not quite as polished...
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

The Dreamcast is a 200 mhz machine, and has what? 8 megs of system ram, and a few bits of other RAM. It does have a lot of 3D accelleration, but from my understanding Stepmania can be quite processor intensive.
lux92886
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by lux92886 »

DC has 16Mb of system ram, 8Mb of video, and 2? for sound.
[insert lame signature here]
Shilar
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Shilar »

Stepmania also uses Directx, which is on the DC. The program Stepmania only uses 4-8 megs of memory, leaving the rest for songs/video. If the DC can run PSX emus (which requires a PC with 64 megs of RAM at least, and a 400Mhz processor to run good) A DDR sim is not a huge hurdle.

The Kron
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by The Kron »

Shilar wrote:Stepmania also uses Directx, which is on the DC.
DC Direct X ports are only possible with the Windows CE SDK, currently their are no homebrew options for Direct X ports.