does dreamsnes run at full speed?

Anything DreamSNES-related can be asked in this forum, such as general questions about the emulator, how to burn it, etc.
Guitar Guy
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

does dreamsnes run at full speed?

Post by Guitar Guy »

I'm new to emulation on the dreamcast, so I probably did something wrong. I made the boot disc that worked fine. I then tried to make a roms disc. I took everything from the boot disc and put it on the roms disc to hopefully make a boot disc with roms on it. I couldn't get the rom disc to boot, but if I swap the boot disc with the roms disc, the roms show up. I can play them, but the roms don't play at full speed. Anyone got any ideas, or are the roms supposed to run this slowly?
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Some games run slowly, and this happens regardless of how you setup the emulator. You can mute the sound or change it to Mono and turn off Mode 7 and Transparencies to increase speed. Games that are known to run fairly full-speed are: Mario All-Stars, Mario Kart, Mario World, Final Fantasy IV and V, Donkey Kong I-III and plenty of others. There are a few compatibility lists floating around the place somewhere, someone may be able to hook you up with some links (if they can find them buried under all the "when will there be a new release" topics :)).
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
uZiel
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by uZiel »

az_bont wrote:You can mute the sound or change it to Mono and turn off Mode 7 and Transparencies to increase speed.
Is it really possible to turn off mode 7? how can I do it?
The Black Wind Howls... El Viento Negro A?lla... [http://www.erezatrans.com --> las mejores traducciones]
DoomDan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DoomDan »

uZiel wrote:Is it really possible to turn off mode 7? how can I do it?
Go to the options menu.
impact135
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by impact135 »

i think the dreamsnes team did a great job but it would be nice to have full speed full sound on all snes games.
uZiel
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by uZiel »

DoomDan wrote:
uZiel wrote:Is it really possible to turn off mode 7? how can I do it?
Go to the options menu.
Ok, I just got a little confused, I have just realised that you were talking about interpolated mode7.
The Black Wind Howls... El Viento Negro A?lla... [http://www.erezatrans.com --> las mejores traducciones]
Acer_XP
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Acer_XP »

Full speed? Well, it really IS possible, but things like sound channels, sampling rates, visual layering all play their role in chopping up your steady framerate of 60fps!!

the only thing that can give you that framerate would be to overclock the DC to about 500MHz and that is impossible. So, to run at about 30fps (steady video speed) the DreamSNES programmers have to really focus on removing layers like in ZNES or Snes9x for PC and changing resolution. Unfortunately, the games were designed for Hardware OTHER than the Dreamcast so all the neat little special effects will always be drawn slower than the normal walk and shoot boring crap we are all tired of.

But, i'm with you all in saying that if there really is a way to play full speed, I WANT TO HEAR ABOUT IT NOW!!! I have about 30 useless "what-if" CD-R's burned just stacking up and really, the only noticable difference I've seen is the way NesterDC plays faster on version 7 compared to 5.

But that's a different topic.
Spiderman_00
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Spiderman_00 »

the only thing that can give you that framerate would be to overclock the DC to about 500MHz and that is impossible.

And how do you go aboot doing that??
The artist formerly known as DreamTheater420

Wasgo
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Wasgo »

Spiderman_00 wrote:
the only thing that can give you that framerate would be to overclock the DC to about 500MHz and that is impossible.

And how do you go aboot doing that??
Well, since speed is a function of energy, and energy is stored as heat, try putting it in the oven for a slow roast at 350 degrees. But not too long, you don't want the plastic to melt.
Spiderman_00
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Spiderman_00 »

Thats what I thought....Gonna go make me Dreamcast Surprise.... :lol:

It was late at night when I read that....and I thought he said it was possibel...Thats what happens when ya cant sleep

:mrgreen:
The artist formerly known as DreamTheater420

DaFuZzMaStA
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by DaFuZzMaStA »

will there ever be a version that makes the games run at full speed?
SchmuckofNI
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by SchmuckofNI »

Of course! There are already games that run 100% with dreamsnes. Super Punchout being one of them. Only time will tell when the next version will be running all games at full speed. In 6 months time much can be accomplished...
Jaded JAaron77
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Jaded JAaron77 »

speed only bothers me on some games....like in final fantasy 6, I've played it so many times I know what all the music is supposed to sound like and to hear it slow drives me crazy....but I really don't care...my DreamSNES 0.9.6 is GREAT and I still play FF6, since it is quite possibly my favourite game ever :D

I say the people making dsnes have done a good enough job already and could just quit right where they are, but better speed and support for Yoshi's Island would just be awesome!
this is my signature
DaFuZzMaStA
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by DaFuZzMaStA »

i was thinking of getting it, but now i think i mite wait until a better version comes out.
smelialichu
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by smelialichu »

Is there a decent list of good gamers that DO work at a good speed? Do any of the Kirby games work well? Thanks.
SchmuckofNI
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by SchmuckofNI »

None of the kirby games work well with sound. Here are the games that I know that work 100% or pretty close to it:
Macross
Super Punchout
Secret of Mana
DQ 1 and 2 remix
Super Mario RPG (has a bug in it whenever you level up)
Any of the Donkey Kong Country games
smelialichu
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by smelialichu »

K thanks, does anyone knowq how playable kirby is without sound? Is the one with 2 player co-operative mode pretty unplayable (I imagine there's even more slowdown with 2 players)?
scott1234
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by scott1234 »

ok ummm to the dozen ppl around this forum the say the kirby games work well, uh why dont you morons try playing the games before you give your opinion eh? i have the newest versian of dreamsnes and ive played kirby superstar and it works terrible even on mute it is unplayable... (no offense to the dreamsnes creators cause it works well with many other games)

if anyone wants to know what games work well heres a few ive tried.. you can trust them cause i dont bs like the rest of the forum

donkey kong 1 (works full speed with major frameskip, but on mute i swear it looks better and plays better than on snes)

metal warrior (really fun game for multiplayer, works full speed tiny frameskip in one player and works full speed no framskip in 2 player)

zelda (works full speed but a tiny bit jerky but it doesnt affect gameplay much, works plawlessly when you turn off the sound)

super punchout (works full speed but its a sucky game)

mario allstars (full speed but why would you play it when you can just burn nesterdc)

mega man x (works a little slow and has framskip but is kinda playable)
impact135
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by impact135 »

i think some people define full speed differently.

Full speed to me is 100% speed 0 framskip (same as real snes)

but it seems a lot of people define full speed as 100% with frameskipping.

is there any snes game that has TRUE FULL SPEED???
Acer_XP
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Acer_XP »

not one, sorry, i actually went thru them one by one after your question. I am glad they have frame skip! now I can play mario!

i cheat though, i have my DC overclocked!

anyone wanting to try this should be warned, it's really pointless! I have fried 2 of my buddies DCasts this way! I know what I'm doing now, but it only makes a diff in CPU intensive apps, like emulation! I can almost play all game fullspeed, WITH frameskip, but without, the cpu get's really hot and most games yeild about 20fps max!

Just to let you know, my cpu on my laptop runs at 500mhz, and when you take off frame skip, some games slow down on that! yikes!

not possible