GBA Backlight!!!

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

GBA Backlight!!!

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Check it out!

Read more about it at http://www.portablemonopoly.com
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Joestar
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Joestar »

this news isn't exactly new, but still, it is a great achievement and i will buy it when it comes out.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

I'm actually going to buy some GBA games once i get my hands on this kit. It supposed to be easy and they have even more on it in the newest Gamepro and an issue from a few months back
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I love my GBA I play it more then my dreamcast or my ps2 lol

But then again thats cause I take it to work with me.

Id get one of those backlights but Id just screw something up trying to install it :( I still have my ps2 modcube I can't install. They made it sound so easy ONLY 1 WIRE. They didn't mention the shist you have to go through to get to the motherboard.
Joestar
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Joestar »

the process involves soldering.......i never liked soldering :(
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Ive seen pics of the installation process and it looks very easy. Don't worry, anyone should be able to do this.
Joestar
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Joestar »

Nintendo should have done back light in the first place.... Why nintendo, WHY?!
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I actually sent them a e-mail asking them that. I can't find the answer but they basically gave me 2 answers (this is on why there wasnt' a back-light installed)

1. It would eat up more battery power

and

2. It would raise the cost of the system.

I guess these things are true, but I personally would have rather paid more for the system and had this all ready installed. And as for the battery power I think most everybody gets a AC adapter for there game boy systems anyways (I know I did).
WiseMonkey
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by WiseMonkey »

first of all id like to say you cant add a backlight to a gba it is physically imposible because of the type of screen used in the gba. all those mods are FRONTLIGHTS meaning the light is in front of the screen.
next id like to say that i and some others have already done this mod sucessfully. all it involves is buying some really bright leds in a very low voltage (i hapened to get a hold of these really cool light blue leds) then you wire the led straight to the baterieswhile keeping the wres inside the casing( if you have an opaque gba you can use any wire but if you have aclearish one i suggest you get some wire with clear insulation) and just hook up a simple switch to triger the light and youre done with the wireing part next all you have to do is experiment with the placement of the leds to get them right for your taste. its a relatively easy mod imo easier than chipping a playstation i may be tempted to do an in depth guide and pot it in the hardware forum but im not sure if ill do that
Dr Wily

Post by Dr Wily »

WiseMonkey that post would have sounded more intelligent if youd actually looked at those pictures, or visited their website - *IT IS BACKLIT* those pictures and their description of how they have achieved it is nothing like what you are talking about.

Syn-Tex told me about this ages ago, and now I cant decide which looks better, that or the TV adapter...
Kami

Post by Kami »

Nyarlathotep wrote: WiseMonkey that post would have sounded more intelligent if youd actually looked at those pictures, or visited their website - *IT IS BACKLIT* those pictures and their description of how they have achieved it is nothing like what you are talking about.
Woulda made you more intelligent if you read instead of looked at the pretty pictures. They call it a front light ie. the lights are on the sides above the picture. Back lighting on that screen would just make the ugliest mod.
WiseMonkey
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by WiseMonkey »

dude wtf are you talking about
it is not a back light
a backlight means a light source is placed behind the lcd
the light on those mods are placed in front of the screen and if you look through the site at one point he says it is a front light.
WiseMonkey
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by WiseMonkey »

oh and thanks kami for backing me up

and one more thing fou you nylar
a backlight is literally imposible to put on a gba
a backlight requires an lcd that lets light pass through. that is not possible on gba because the screen is reflective so nop light can pass through from the back of the unit
Joestar
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Joestar »

it is not a backlight, they've got you there Nyar!Image
Dr Wily

Post by Dr Wily »

heh, apparently I like pretty pictures too much :D

I was talking about 'back lit' as in lit from behind the screen, not behind the LCD as a 'true' backlit system like a Lynx or GG are, but not 'front lit' like with a worm light or whatever...

The lights are *between* the protective screen and the LCD screen, which in my book is 'back lit'... but technically incorrect

so, uh, ignorant post on my part :oops:
WiseMonkey
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by WiseMonkey »

yeah sorry for going nutz on you but ive been really irritable lately sorry bout that
la_eternal
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by la_eternal »

I think WiseMonkey should do the hardware guide for this if possible.
ScruffysApricots
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by ScruffysApricots »

at any rate ive been waited with baited breath for this for months as it will be the best thing ever!!!

and wisemonkey, if you posted your mod, i would love to try it out!

do it man!! :D
she on a morto cycle - AmadeusZull