Newbie needs a lil help with DCDivX

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
bryan666999
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Newbie needs a lil help with DCDivX

Post by bryan666999 »

i made one movie so far with the procedure in the DCDivXDummies tutorial....it turned out pretty good....its a lil choppy though and the audio sumtimes goes out of sync....how can i fix it.....what do i need to do

then i have another question.....i went to make another movie....same exact way.....and it wont even load on my dreamcast.....whats wrong....

can sumone help me out with these
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

Nice pic in your sig... Clockwork Orange is a classic!

Which version of DCDivX are you using? If you're using beta 4, try playing it with beta 3 before you spend the time to re-encode your movie and see if it's better. 3 is less buggy than 4.

As for the one movie that wouldn't even play, double-check your settings. Make sure your resolution is reasonably low... I wouldn't go higher than 352x288. Also, assuming you're using DivX 5, try bidirectional encoding and set psychovisual enhancements to strong. B-frames (the result of bidirectional encoding) are skipped by DCDivX, so it works out like you decimated the framerate, but will play at the full framerate on your computer if you ever want to watch that way. Psychovisual enhancements reduces filesize (I believe by encoding at a lower bitrate than what you set) but does so without any noticable degradation of picture quality. Using these two settings makes playback on DCDivX and DreamInducer much smoother.

Also check your audio settings, because setting too high of a sampling rate will cause the player to choke. I use nothing higher than 22,050 Hz stereo or 44,100 Hz mono.

Just a word of advice about using b-frames. If you're using a low framerate to begin with (anything below 20 or 24 fps) I wouldn't use b-frames. It ends up looking like stop motion animation.
bryan666999
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by bryan666999 »

thanx....clockwork orange is my fav....

ok....i ripped the DVD's themselves....i encoded them with DVDx....which i think is a pretty nice and simple encoder.....and i encoded them with DivX 5.0.3
the fist one...the one that will play....i encoded it a 720x480 and its 23 frames per second....then i proceded to use the DCDivX4Dummies tutorial....the files ended up bein 320x240 at 23 frames per second for the final copy
http://homebrew.dcemulation.org/zacmcd/DcDivX4dummies/

the second one....same thing 720x480 at 23 frames per second....same settings...i ALWAYS double check....cause i hate waiting....and the same goes for the way when i encoded it the way the tutorial said to....and it ended up bein 320x240 at 32 frames per second for the final copy

so u r saying to first try DCDivX 3....cause im usin 4 and will my cds still load on 3 and where can i get DCDivX 3

also try DreamInducer...cause ive never heard of it....ive kinda been out of the loop on the new DC emu's and software.....

ok....DCDivX 3 plays it a lil better, but nothing drastic....and the other one doesnt even boot....the DC makes that great sound when sumthin doesnt boot.....
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

I wouldn't use DVDx to encode an MPG and then convert that to a DivX if you can load the DVD's VOB files straight into VirtualDub.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
bryan666999
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by bryan666999 »

soo....u r sayin that i dont need to use DVDx to do the encoding and i can just use VirtualDub instead
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

bryan666999 wrote:soo....u r sayin that i dont need to use DVDx to do the encoding and i can just use VirtualDub instead
Yes, by using DVD2AVI and the VFapi plugin you can quite easily load the files in - if you follow the first part of my DCDivX guide (link below) you can figure out how to load them in and carry on however you're used to doing it.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!