DUKE 3D SOURCE RELEASED!!! (This is real i swear!)

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
whitesnake
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by whitesnake »

mmnpsrsoskl wrote:
whitesnake wrote:i would just like to see a simple port to windows on d3d with multiplayer support added and better mouse support,
What's wrong with the mouse control already in place?
whitesnake wrote:nothing to fancy or it just gets annoying and confusing like doom legacy and all the other doom ports they take forever to set up.
And what the? Forever to setup? It takes like 5 seconds :|

mouse support blows to put it quite simple its mapped keys on the mouse's axis,
and you cant look in a smooth diagonal direction. also looking up and down moves fast than looking right and left.

mouse support needs a total rehash
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

It's not really the mouse support that's the problem - it's the rendering engine. It can't render true diagonals, it can only fake them. Mouse sensitivity is easily adjusted.
EverStoned
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by EverStoned »

Am I right in thinking duke is 2.5D?
cybdmn
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by cybdmn »

Actually it is "so called 2.5D", cause there are no real 3D objects like Briges.
But it has 3 d(imensions), height, lenght and depth.
...where the sanest place is behind a trigger
DoomDan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DoomDan »

Doom is "2.5D" too.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

cybdmn wrote:Actually it is "so called 2.5D", cause there are no real 3D objects like Briges.
But it has 3 d(imensions), height, lenght and depth.
You can build bridges but its a pain. Basically you have to take some 2D sprites and build the bridge out of at least 4 of them (top, bottom, left, right). You have to line them up just right or else you will see them overlap themselves. I have seen some userlevels where people build a lot of really neat stuff like that, but it took a fast CPU to play those levels (remember I did most of my duke nukem playin back in the Pentium 1 days).
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

It's rendering system is 2.5D. The levels consist of a 2D map, but each sector of that 2D map can have a height associated with it, so it can give the illusion of three dimensions.
cybdmn
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by cybdmn »

Veggita2099 wrote: You can build bridges but its a pain. Basically you have to take some 2D sprites and build the bridge out of at least 4 of them (top, bottom, left, right). You have to line them up just right or else you will see them overlap themselves. I have seen some userlevels where people build a lot of really neat stuff like that, but it took a fast CPU to play those levels (remember I did most of my duke nukem playin back in the Pentium 1 days).
I know that. I've played with the Build editor much time. Once i've build a level with as many light-shadow-sectors, that even my P133 go down with the framerate to 5 fps or so....:mrgreen:

To make bridges a lot lesser expenive i've build mine as such:

Side effect was, that in the most cases this style looks much more realistic.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Doesn't Duke 3D have faked over/under? In base doom, you can not run underneath flying enemies. I think you can in Duke3D. Some of the source ports allow true over/under architecture in Doom though, pretty slick.
cybdmn
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by cybdmn »

Lartrak wrote:Doesn't Duke 3D have faked over/under? In base doom, you can not run underneath flying enemies. I think you can in Duke3D.
Yes, you can go over or under a sprite. I guess it was programmed because it makes more possibilities in Game/Level design.
For example faked bridges or look and shoot up/down wich wasn't necessary in DooM.
Lartrak wrote:Some of the source ports allow true over/under architecture in Doom though, pretty slick.
Actually there are some tricks to do over/under architecture in vanilla DooM too. But this is more an eye candy. The possibilities are very limited.
These tricks use mostly some sectors with missing textures.
ReGex
FrNES Creator
FrNES Creator

Post by ReGex »

[quote]It's not really the mouse support that's the problem - it's the rendering engine. It can't render true diagonals, it can only fake them. Mouse sensitivity is easily adjusted.[/quote]

True true. Just looking through the source now... so much of the engine is just ancient... so much of the build engine could be implemented using like 4 GL commands. I can't believe people had to build the first FPSs like this :D

-ReGex
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Actually there are some tricks to do over/under architecture in vanilla DooM too. But this is more an eye candy. The possibilities are very limited.
These tricks use mostly some sectors with missing textures.
I remember some vanilla DOom level in like.. 96 or 97.. It did some ingenious trick to fake over-under. It had some kind of invisible sector to make it look like a bridge, but the only way to get to the bridge was this looping passage. They had a silent lift retract then. It would go back if you went the other way back. Because of the design it looked the same, and of course you can't look up. Pretty slick. If you managed to get a monster around the area by getting him to follow you it was obvious how it was done though.
cybdmn
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by cybdmn »

Yeah. Here you can find some workarounds for these fake over/under tricks in vanilla DooM.
Thats the great thing in editing. People do things with engines, that even the designers never dream of. :)
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

http://doomworld.com/tutorials/fx8.shtml

I think that was the one I was talking about. Those guys are geniuses.. I wish level making with things like the HL map editor wasn't so incredibly time consuming. I made a few doom levels in my time, but nothing ingenious. Ah well.
cybdmn
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by cybdmn »

Yes. I've seen many levels including this bridge trick.
Level Edtiting is always time consuming. I've built many maps for DooM, Duke 3D, ROTT, HL, Quake etc. But nothing ready to release. All those maps are lost over the years, but who cares ? I've made them for my personal fun. Only for editing, not playing. :mrgreen:
Rambozo
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by Rambozo »

I too know of BUILD, as I happen to be one of the better known mappers in the Duke community. Do a google search for Bob Averill, and anything Duke3d related is in reference to me. I gave 4 years of my life to that game, and mastered every facet of the engine.....good times. I wouldn't have spent my time any other way. I just hope DNF comes out....like...at all.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I did a lot of editing on Duke Nukem 3D. None of my stages really take full advantage of the Duke3D engine cause I based my best levels off of my local school. When/If this gets released for DReamcast I will release my school levels. Don't know how they will work with Duke3D on Dreamcast though. I have modified user.con files, as well as changed music, sound, and graphics. The way I did it on PC was I wrote a .bat file that basically renamed user.con to user.xxx. Then it renamed user.sco (which was my con file) to user.con. By doing this it changed the music, sound, and graphics. Then when you exited the game it would rename user.con back to user.sco then rename user.xxx to user.con putting duke3d back to normal. Guess I would have to just burn a specal copy to use my school levels.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Veggita2099 - The released source code is only for the 1.5 Atomic Edition, which means your CON files will need a little tweaking to work correctly.

I have a few ideas on how to do mods. But, first thing's first - getting the thing to work.

I know that at least 3 coders are seriously looking at porting the Build engine (and later Duke3D) - Bero, ReGex (FrNes author) and myself. I'm sure that we'll be able to come up with something, eventually. Give us a few months, and we might even get Duke3D to compile!
Rambozo
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by Rambozo »

Here's some shots from a map I'm working on:

Image Image

Image Image

Come to think of it, I ought to put together some of my levels and some of the other good levels, photoshop my own title screen (Duke 3DC) and make a DC specific version of Duke! It'd feel like an authentic new Dreamcast game, which would do my heart some good. :)

In fact I could even make some nice rendered/digitized new guns and code some new actions for them. It'd be a whole new flava. :D
cybdmn
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by cybdmn »

These screens look good as hell. You know Build, thats for sure.
Looks a bit like Quake II style levels.