Dreamcast Virus/Trojan Thingy

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
SchmuckofNI
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by SchmuckofNI »

Dude thats really f*cked up. I dont think I will ever get anything from this site if I knew that the files that I downloaded contained a virus that messed up my dc.
:evil:
EvilSporkMan
God Of All Things Sporkish

Post by EvilSporkMan »

The "virus" is just a couple function call. There's now a function in CVS-KOS called flashrom_delete, it's what the program uses. For the record, no one other than me has a binary of the virus, and only one other person has source. It took MAYBE 30 minutes to write. On a happier note, my flash app is ready for beta release, it just doesn't do anything useful yet ^_^;
You can go anywhere you want if you look serious and carry a clipboard.
EverStoned
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by EverStoned »

EvilSporkMan wrote:The "virus" is just a couple function call. There's now a function in CVS-KOS called flashrom_delete, it's what the program uses. For the record, no one other than me has a binary of the virus, and only one other person has source. It took MAYBE 30 minutes to write. On a happier note, my flash app is ready for beta release, it just doesn't do anything useful yet ^_^;
So what does this virus do, exactly? Would it render a DC unusable?
Master Higgins
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Master Higgins »

this kinda talk should be banned this is worse than warez, dcemu should no endorse viruses and should censure or ban any member who brag about their creation or r creators. What do u guys think?
NightHammer
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by NightHammer »

It's really NOT a virus...it's a flash rom dumper. That's it....

Later!
NightHammer
All your systems are belong to me
IllegalWarez
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by IllegalWarez »

there was a dreamcast game that had a virus, but this isn't a threat since it was a computer virus that didn't do anything on the DC. This program seems dumb.. like you just wanna feel power or something for having something dangerous... there's already a file that lets u flash the eprom (or w/e its called) with ur PSO, etc info (and its useful).. thats enough.
Nukkus
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Nukkus »

about the virus in Atelier Marie, it's a virus called Kriz, which is contained in a PC screensaver on the boot ring of the GDrom, and activates as soon as the GDrom is placed in a pc.

Kriz will erase the CMOS setup and attempt to corrupt a computer's BIOS chip in a similar way to the CIH (aka Chernobyl) virus. This effectively paralyses the entire computer, making it unusable and forcing the user to replace the entire chip.

The virus also attempts to overwrite all files on local hard disks and network drives with garbage.

pretty nasty crap, eh? :?
the cheese is restless
JoeyStyles66
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by JoeyStyles66 »

don't worry, i'll just catch it with my Norton Anti-Virus :wink:
EvilSporkMan

Post by EvilSporkMan »

IllegalWarez wrote:there was a dreamcast game that had a virus, but this isn't a threat since it was a computer virus that didn't do anything on the DC. This program seems dumb.. like you just wanna feel power or something for having something dangerous... there's already a file that lets u flash the eprom (or w/e its called) with ur PSO, etc info (and its useful).. thats enough.
Where is this file? It probably does almost the exact same thing...'cept I wasn't aware it existed.
Mask of Destiny
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Mask of Destiny »

about the virus in Atelier Marie, it's a virus called Kriz, which is contained in a PC screensaver on the boot ring of the GDrom, and activates as soon as the GDrom is placed in a pc.
But PCs don't run code out of the boot sector(s) of a CD except when they are booting. The only code they run normally is whatever is defined as the autorun.
Nukkus
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Nukkus »

Mask of Destiny wrote:
But PCs don't run code out of the boot sector(s) of a CD except when they are booting. The only code they run normally is whatever is defined as the autorun.
the autorun on the GDrom activates the screensaver install program, infecting the pc.
the cheese is restless
EvilSporkMan

Post by EvilSporkMan »

the autorun on the GDrom activates the screensaver install program, infecting the pc.
And if you have autorun disabled, just don't run the screensaver installer. ^_^
Rand Linden
bleemcast! Creator
bleemcast! Creator

Post by Rand Linden »

IIRC, hold down the SHIFT key while inserting a disc to disable AutoRun.

Rand.
JoeyStyles66
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by JoeyStyles66 »

dude! you made bleem!cast?? thats awesome! i have all 3 :D good job!

anyways, isn't it illegal to release a game with a virus on it? or was it unintentional?