Inverted blacks and whites & CD read errors...

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Inverted blacks and whites & CD read errors...

Post by az_bont »

I', off to purchase a new second-hand Dreamcast tomorrow because my current one, only 15 months young, is totally knackered. The picture has inverted blacks and whites, and a lot of my games seem to have stopped being recognised (even originals). The CD drive also squeaks a little when it's reading. Is there anything I can fix, or am I screwed?

Thanks.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Anti-Roofus
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Anti-Roofus »

your screwed my DC was doing the same thing and i sent it to sega and they told me that all they could do was replace the parts but it was gonna cost like 100 dollars so i just bought a new one
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

You could still hack it up for parts :mrgreen:
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

So in short, I'm screwed and need a new one? Oh well, they're only ?26.99, and at least I'll have a second controller now.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

In case anyone's wondering, I did go out and buy a new DC. It turns out that the problem was the RF lead and nothing else - the CD read errors were purely coincidental, and seemed to sort-of fix themselves, plus one of my games was badly scratched. So I know have two DCs, but can only use one - and the new one is a much slower reader. Oh well :| .
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

az, did your picture have really odd white lines streaking across it?
I totally forgot I had the same sort of picture problems as you did. I slammed the RF adapter off the desk and it worked fine. Then I bought an RGB cable after having gotten fed up with RF after only 1 week of use :P
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

sixteen-bit wrote:az, did your picture have really odd white lines streaking across it?
It did if I tapped the lead a bit - I figured it could have been the lead, but I couldn't find any new ones and I desperately needed a working Dreamcast for XDP :) . I'll try throwing the lead about for a bit, see if that helpds :P .