Like DC Menu Systems? Help Me

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Chimera-disKord
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Chimera-disKord »

What would be your ideal menu system for the dreamcast...
jpg image support for the selections?
Music playback?
Other file Support?
Script Based?

Post Yer Ideas!

Thx
miah
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by miah »

Support for PNG graphics would most likely be better in the long run since nobody will run into licensing problems..

As for sound. mp3 support is good. I wish more people used oldskool stuff like mod's and s3m's though. *very* small files (you're looking at like 30k for a huge song in mod/s3m/xm format), not to mention some cool sounds. I really miss the old demo scene :/

As for something I'd just like to see in a library.. Support for reading Joliet. It'd be great to see long file names for my roms instead of an all CAPS lots of ___'s version that is completely obfusticated.

-miah
DeGamer1
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DeGamer1 »

Chimera-disKord wrote: What would be your ideal menu system for the dreamcast...
jpg image support for the selections?
Music playback?
Other file Support?
Script Based?
Yeah music in the menu selection would be nice. I have seen an audio file in IT format. Don't know if it would be possible to be played in the DC but that would be great as well.

How about being able to view GIF, PNG and BMP files? I know some emus use BMP iamges but I want something in general. Also, how about viewing video files?

Anyway, just my suggestions :)
Last edited by DeGamer1 on Sun Jan 20, 2002 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oh, no. NO! You can't do this to me. Don't give me a playstation. NOOOOOOOOOO! I don't want a piece of crap. Take it back and burn it to heeelll!!! Die Sony Computer Entertainment with you PS (Piece of Sh?t) and your PS 2 (Piece of Sh?t?2)
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

If I wasn't so lazy and new how to do stuff on the dc codework itself, I'd go the whole 9 yeards, make a mini os. I'd incorporate mpeg1 and divx playback, mp3 support, plus ogg vorbis support, and a jpeg/bmp viewer. Plus a saturn emulator, an internet bwoser, an import disc reader, and those guitars that are like... double guitars.

And vga box support!
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
kRYPT_
DCFactory Creator
DCFactory Creator

Post by kRYPT_ »

miah wrote: As for sound. mp3 support is good. I wish more people used oldskool stuff like mod's and s3m's though. *very* small files (you're looking at like 30k for a huge song in mod/s3m/xm format), not to mention some cool sounds. I really miss the old demo scene /
They weren't *that* small.. most mod/s3m/xm/it/ft files averaged 200-500kb (some were bigger, some smaller).
Chimera-disKord
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Chimera-disKord »

hmm...s3m, good olde mod music. If its gotta sound good, then it will be about 300K+ in size.

I still follow the PC demo scene :)
tom61
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by tom61 »

I'd like:
MP3 while in the menu (for background music)
BMP and JPG support for images
Capablity of booting .elf, .bin, and .exe (WinCE for DC) files
Directory support
Capability of using it for a menu for selecting roms for things like mameDC
miah
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by miah »

Some where *that* small though. Sure, the longer and better quality ones were bigger, but still, they where definately under 500k. Smaller than most mp3's (most of mine average around 4.5megs). And seriously, its not like you need a 10minute long sound track for a *menu*. I could see a 30second loop working out pretty well and being pretty small. The way I see it, is it should be small enough that you can read it into ram so that if you swap disks you don't have stupid issues with the file not being there (like on dreamsnes, im sorry, but there should be some error checking IF THE FILE DOESN EXIST STOP PLAYING THE DAMN MUSIC).

-miah
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I'd like to see graphics loaded from BMPs, GIFs, JPGs, PNGs or whatever, music (MP3 or whatever - I don't care), sound effects, animations, and maybe some kind of XML/HTML config file to lay the menu out. Oh, and submenus as well. If I ever manage to get hold of a code cable or a BBA, this'll probably be one of my first projects.