KOF2001

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
aced411
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by aced411 »

Truth is true SNK Fighter fans want 2d, aren't concerned w/ 3d backgrounds, and we'll take kof anyway we can get it.....GBA, NEO GEO, PLAYSTATION, SUPER NINTENDO, and my personal fav DREAMCAST. Don't get me wrong, I love Marvel vs capcom and all the street fighter games just as much if not more than KOF, but KOF is a blast! Anyway, how does KOF2001 compare to KOF2000? I have 2000 and think it's great.
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

I like 2d fighting games but I just dont like this one. I heard the KOF2002 will be much better graphics. So we shall see.
:headbang: Dreamcast :headbang:
Rudrasha
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Rudrasha »

Warmachine wrote:
feels wrote:Hmmm... I don't want to criticize but it would be nice to back up your arguments with reasons other than "It sucks." What sucked? The crappy backgrounds? The Striker System? Lack of options?
Good Part
More characters

Bad Part
Waste of money
Like all the KOF
Same moves for most characters
Looks like beta super nintendo graphics
Shut up, you being a judgemental moron. It looks much better than any SNES game and is runing on hardware made in 1994. The battle engine is refreshing and new compared to kof20k2 plus the techno music is nice change from the over drawn out orcastrated music. Also KOF games look like "crap" because there not made for Dc there made for Neogeo then ported. No way in Hell KOF would ever look as good as MVSC2 because it's on Neogeo not dreamcast. I worry about you idiot's sometime's.
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

excuse be mr. smartass, I didnt know it was ported. Anyways KOF2002 is going to look way better I heard.
Rudrasha
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Rudrasha »

Warmachine wrote:excuse be mr. smartass, I didnt know it was ported. Anyways KOF2002 is going to look way better I heard.
You heard wrong. It's still NeoGeo hardware. Learn before you speak and you won't prove yourself a ignorant fool.
Grooverider
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Grooverider »

I was happy as a spring lamb when my KOF 2001 arrived in the post this morning but this thread is filling me with dread... Come back on Monday for an unbiased view!
chrisfbt1
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by chrisfbt1 »

You really cant complain about the graphics of NEO-Geo ports because the system has to be nearly 15 years old. and dont quote me on this but i think the neogeo chipset was very similar to the genesis just with and improved graphics subsystem
and insanely huge roms for the time
Safety in Nimbus
Revenge Therapist
Revenge Therapist

Post by Safety in Nimbus »

I love the KoF series, much more than the SF series. Yes it is stagnate and stale but its so damn good. KoF is more for the old school 2D fighters and the reason the graphics look bleh is because the hardware it was ported from (MVS) is about 13-14 years old.

Grooverider: If you like the KoF series you'll like KoF 2k1.

If you're into old school fighters but are disapointed then go play Garou: Mark of the Wolves. This game is damn spiffy.
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

Mark of the Wolves I heard was great. Neo Geo is that old?!?
feels
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by feels »

Warmachine wrote:Mark of the Wolves I heard was great. Neo Geo is that old?!?
It was out during the NES days, I believe...
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

Warmachine wrote:Neo Geo is that old?!?
Yeah, it's older (but more powerful) than the SNES.
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

dang, it was in color and everything?? Was it like regular system or hand held?
chrisfbt1
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by chrisfbt1 »

It was Home/Arcade the home system and the arcade were identical
and it was a normal system but the games cost around $300 US Each
I really wanted one when i was younger but i couldn't convince mom i needed it lol
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

I bought a NeoGeo MVS arcade cabinet in november last year. The machine is played every day, mostly puzzle bobble (aka bust-a-move). It's a really cool thing to have, but the games and system cost about as much as those of a current console system. Still, if you're into 2d fighters and shooters, it might be worth it. Standing behind an arcade cabinet in your own home is a very different experience from sitting behind your tv holding a controller.

EDIT: Also, MVS games are meant to go into arcades, so they have a very high pricetag initially. The prices tend to drop after a few years though, when they get replaced by newer games in the arcades.
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

Does anyone have any pics of a neo geo and who made it SEGA??
mariobro
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mariobro »

The Neo-Geo system was created by SNK, a Japanese company. It was conceived as an arcade system, but a home console version was also marketed. The hardware was exactly the same. It was pretty damn powerful for its time. However the very first games were incredibly crappy. It was only after a few great fighting games came out around 1993 (Fatal Fury, Samurai Shodown), that the system really took off, and became essentially a fighter machine. Then came good action games like Metal Slug, that really showed off the system's potential.

If you want to see a fighting game that really exploits the Neo Geo's potential, check out Samurai Shodown 2. KOF 2001 doesn't really take advantage of the systems capability, and it's a sloppy port, with stiff animation, which is a shame, because the Neo Geo's powerful hardware allowed for ultra smooth animation.

Here's a pic of the system's first incarnation, when it was released in the U.S., in 1990. It had a $600 price tag. Cartridges cost around $200 each.

"Until I finally made it, life was kinda hit or miss...
And I'd love to talk philosophy, but I gotta take a piss"
-David Lee Roth
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

Well now that I played KOF01 a lot It is pretty good :D.
Grooverider
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Grooverider »

Well, I have to say I was not very impressed with KOF2001 - the graphics are very playstationy indeed. I love all things SNK but I can't really recommend this - it doesn't even come close to Capcom vs SNK.
mariobro
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mariobro »

Well, there you have it. This game has its fans, but it is pretty damn far from being the best SNK fighting game. Pretty damn far...

It has a niche audience, but thinking that everyone will (or should) enjoy it, is just plain delusional.

And the animation is stiff...

The rote excuse for this shortcoming is: "This game is a MVS port, and the Dreamcast isn't really designed for 2D games". Well, then: Why do they release them? What's the point? Showing off the console's limitations?
"Until I finally made it, life was kinda hit or miss...
And I'd love to talk philosophy, but I gotta take a piss"
-David Lee Roth
Safety in Nimbus
Revenge Therapist
Revenge Therapist

Post by Safety in Nimbus »

mariobro wrote:The Neo-Geo system was created by SNK, a Japanese company. It was conceived as an arcade system, but a home console version was also marketed. The hardware was exactly the same. It was pretty damn powerful for its time. However the very first games were incredibly crappy. It was only after a few great fighting games came out around 1993 (Fatal Fury, Samurai Shodown), that the system really took off, and became essentially a fighter machine. Then came good action games like Metal Slug, that really showed off the system's potential.

If you want to see a fighting game that really exploits the Neo Geo's potential, check out Samurai Shodown 2. KOF 2001 doesn't really take advantage of the systems capability, and it's a sloppy port, with stiff animation, which is a shame, because the Neo Geo's powerful hardware allowed for ultra smooth animation.

Here's a pic of the system's first incarnation, when it was released in the U.S., in 1990. It had a $600 price tag. Cartridges cost around $200 each.

Fatal Fury came out in 1991 and Samurai Showdown came out in 1993. I wouldn't say the very first games were crap, Nam 1975 was cool Sengoku and Magician Lord was pretty damn nifty also. Samurai Showdown was probably one of the best looking games for it's times. I'm still amazed at all the animation in SNKs game (take note Capcom). Hmmm...I want a sequel to Windjammers |=

*hugs his neo geo*