Steve Snake returns to emulation!

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Matt Wilson
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Matt Wilson »

Steve Snake has suddenly come out of nowhere to produce this:
http://www.eidolons-inn.de/kega/

A Sega Genesis/CD emulator for Windows with actually decent compatibility and framerate!

Before you think "This doesn't belong in this forum", and "Who is Steve Snake", I have three words for you: Sega Smash Pack. Steve Snake is the programmer behind the PC and Dreamcast versions of KGEN that were used by Sega for their multi-game pack.

The point? Now that Snake has had some experience with Dreamcast programming, perhaps he could put his expertise in motion and make an actually LEGAL Genesis emulator, with Sega CD support on top of that, for Dreamcast! Sonic CD would be full of kick-ass.

What do you all think? We should try asking the guy after he puts out a few more releases of the emulator. I think it would be a worthy investment.
Joestar
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Joestar »

nice idea :D
DeGamer1
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DeGamer1 »

Matt Wilson wrote: We should try asking the guy after he puts out a few more releases of the emulator.
Yes but lets not annoy the hell out of him ;)
Oh, no. NO! You can't do this to me. Don't give me a playstation. NOOOOOOOOOO! I don't want a piece of crap. Take it back and burn it to heeelll!!! Die Sony Computer Entertainment with you PS (Piece of Sh?t) and your PS 2 (Piece of Sh?t?2)
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

Wow! Steve Snake made Kgen, SmashPack(SegaGen) and now Kega! Good job Steve :D I'd love to see a port to the DC but i don't think we should bother him until Kega is near complete (Kega0.00 doesn't sound very complete) but then again i haven't tried it yet.
How is the sega cd emulation? Is it faster than GenS?

Zac
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Ooh, a legal dc genesis editor! (That would be) Sweetness!!! Now we don't want to go about this the wrong way. Let's send him a nice fruit basket, or maybe some flowers.
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
Mr._Chips
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Mr._Chips »

no that probably won't happen :(
in order for Steve to make such a sucessful port to the DreamCast (Smash Pack), Sega must have handed over a ton of development goodies and stuff that no "regular programmer" could get his hands on. Using that to create a new version of the liscensed software would be like stabbing Sega in the back.... correct me if I'm wrong?
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Yes yes let's stab sega in the back, after all look at all the good things they've done for the programmers out there, with the massive releases of development tools freely available for all to use...

If we can score anything, let's score it while the scorin's good.
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
Katana_

Post by Katana_ »

fatheadpi wrote: Yes yes let's stab sega in the back, after all look at all the good things they've done for the programmers out there, with the massive releases of development tools freely available for all to use...

If we can score anything, let's score it while the scorin's good.
um they really didn't release any developing tools freely.... um programers figured it out.... and many other systems could be hacked the same.... Sega was trying to just make a winning syste, like the genesis
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Umm katana i was bein sarcastic. :|
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I don't think anyone should say anything to him myself. I mean if he feels he wants to port it to Dreamcast that would be great cause we all know Sega CD hardware won't last forever. I know it is a pain since the ram carts are expensive and rare to find for the sega cd, and the internal memory isn't much. It would be great to use the mem cards from the Dreamcast with Sega Cd games. But still even if everyone tried to be nice sending him e-mails about this could u imagine his inbox? Maybe if someone really big into the scene that has done a lot of development sent him a e-mail that sent him here that might be cool, but not everybody bugging him about it. I hope I made a little bit of sense here?
Sarcastic Steve
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Sarcastic Steve »

Sarcasm ALWAYS comes off well in plain text!!!!
The BEST damn mailbag ever, from the most respected man in da sk3n3, and HH! http://www.dcvision.com/features/mailbag/123001.shtml
TheBouncer
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by TheBouncer »

I tried Sonic CD with Kega and never noticed any sound issues, that emu rocks ass! I have yet to try any Megadrive/Genesis games with it yet. I bought a second hand Sega CD with 5 games for ?15 and I don't have a megadrive to connect it to, so I just had to try the CDs in Kega. Road Avenger doesn't seem to work, which is a shame. Anyone here remember KGen98? That was a kickass emu, in fact at the time it was the only emu that would play sound in Afterburner. It might be a good idea to just send Steve a mail with the URL of this topic.
Holly Hasney
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Holly Hasney »

Matt Wilson wrote: Before you think "This doesn't belong in this forum", and "Who is Steve Snake", I have three words for you Sega Smash Pack. Steve Snake is the programmer behind the PC and Dreamcast versions of KGEN that were used by Sega for their multi-game pack.

The point? Now that Snake has had some experience with Dreamcast programming.
Unfortunatly, he never had any part in Sega Smash Pack for DC, so therefore he has NO DC programming experiance. I'm not saying he couldn't do it, (look at the Kega 1st relase FFS :)) but he never made the DC version of Smash Pack and here is da proof:

Unless a huge mix-up happened, don't you think he would have been credited? :)
MadGun68
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MadGun68 »

I remember hearing something about Steve Snake "supposedly" working on something for Sega, but I don't think it happened. The emulator core for the Smash Pack was originally designed for the Dream Passport, for their pay to play service in Japan.
Holly Hasney
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Holly Hasney »

Oh yeah, Steve Snake coded KGen98 which was used in the PC Smash Packs though :)

Anyways, DON'T email him about this. If he feels he should, he will. How would you like it if you woke up one morning and had 100 emails asking you to do something you have no interest in?
TheBouncer
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by TheBouncer »

It depends how well an e-mail is worded. If I was to send him mail, I would congratulate him on such a fine emu in Kega and then ask if there was any chance of a DC port in the future. I will not mail him though because I'm guessing many people probably already have.
Matt Wilson
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Matt Wilson »

That picture really proves nothing. Do you really think his actual name is Steve Snake? It's a pseudonym.

And in his contract, it required that all Sega Smash Packs use his KGEN emulator, including the Dreamcast one.
Holly Hasney
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Holly Hasney »

Presumptions have to made of course, and this presumption is that since the PC Smash Packs actually said "Emulator written by Steve Snake" that he wants his work on the emulator to be awknowleged.

However, since you know his contract, maybe you can tell us if his real name is actually up there ;) nah, j/k of course, but the contract was probably just for PC... unless you have proof of anything else... ;)
discostu55555
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by discostu55555 »

there has never been anything linking the dc smashpack to anything else, so i dont know why people would assume it was coded by snake... besides kega is written almost entirely in asm, so its not like it would be an easy port (and id assume kgen was mostly asm as well since it did run quite fast on a pc, and i doubt sega would have gone ahead with a rewrite of an x86 asm emu when with their own dev tools and documentation), but hey if he ever feels like doing it...
Holly Hasney
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Holly Hasney »

Plus, I've read somewhere that Snakey is a bit of a perfectionist (hence the 1st relase of Kega being so uber-cool) so I don't think he would of let it out with THAT sort of sound emulation ;)