NDC 7+ light gun test post

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
elevatorman
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

NDC 7+ light gun test post

Post by elevatorman »

sorry if this seems ubscure, but appearantly the other post has grown and become complicated for people to share information about lightgun support, so i have simplified it if you dont mind to this post with my findings and i hope that we use this instead of the previous discussion which started as one about the new release in general, so lets keep this purely as lightgun findings.

from what i have test from the latest release i can conclude this.

i am using a madcatz lightgun.

Wild gunman- works good, playable

Gumshoe- works but no aim basically, working yet no accuracy to the point of unplayable, but can shoot at screen and not hit anything.

duckhunt- not working at all. no response from gun at all. this goes for all copies of duckhunt, like smb/duckhunt etc.

Hogans alley- not working. same as duckhunt.

will test others as soon as i find em. what are your findings?
Warmtoe
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Warmtoe »

I'm not yet sure what's wrong with these various games, I have a madcatz gun and it works fine - not sure I tested it on all of those games.

I wonder what's going on with the lightgun detection stuff, the lgtest that I released seems to indicate that KOS isn't even recognising them as connected - I thought it was likely a problem with the 'functions' they claimed to support - looks like I was wrong...

If only I had a gun that failed to work... I'm looking into it

-W-
mmboy
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by mmboy »

Hi guys it's me again. I tested all of the games that came on the list in the read me of nester 7.1 B warmtoe. Well I have good news. They all almost work with the starfire lightblaster by interact! There were 3 or 4 of the obscure titles that didn't work (I forget wich ones, will post later...) But Duck hunt, hogans alley etc work fine. The only problem is calibration. Also the Sprites you have to shoot flash when you shoot. Once calibration is fixed it should work fine. The only thing is make sure you have good roms. On the 1st disk i made i had some crap roms, and they didn't work, I got new ones and they worked fine, so keep trying. Warmtoe, if you want more info plz PM me, and try to find out a way to calibrate the guns. Thanks,

-Matt
sig down :( gehy boomspeed... any1 wanna host it? where could i host it?
mmboy
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by mmboy »

BTW, make your disks w/ the new DC factory, so you dont make any mistakes, it works great!
mmboy
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by mmboy »

Some games had more accuracy than others, cut if someone could create a calibration method, this could prolly be solved...
b/_EE/\/\
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by b/_EE/\/\ »

yeah that sounds good...
User banned.
Warmtoe
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Warmtoe »

Any chance that you peeps who already ran the first lgtest could try:

http://homebrew.dcemulation.com/warmtoe ... 180303.zip

I think I may have found a reason that some guns are not getting recognised, KOS calls the DEVINFO command but perhaps some don't respond to that and need ALLINFO - which returns everything that DEVINFO does and some more - the MadCatz guns return the same info in both cases - so I can see, that it's possible, some guns don't return anything for DEVINFO, only ALLINFO - it's all theory as I don't have a failing gun.

The above version dumps a tonne of stuff to screen and out to the console - can you give me all the information on screen (or as much as you can bare) - specifically on any guns it didn't recognise before but does now or ones it still doesn't recognise!

thanks...

-W-
Kilokahn
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Kilokahn »

Okay, how do you use those ELF files? That is the confusing part? Do I just ELF 2 BIN them and then start it up or do I do other things? I am confused. Is the problem Inducer and I have to use DCFactory?

Later Days,

Chris
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

I have one of the Pelican lightguns that aren't recognized at all.

I'm downloading the newest lgtest now. I'll let you know how it goes.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

MetaFox wrote:I have one of the Pelican lightguns that aren't recognized at all.

I'm downloading the newest lgtest now. I'll let you know how it goes.
MetaFox, some people at ConsoleVision were like worried about you, about how you like disapeared for an ammout of time, go tell them your back!
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

It doesn't recognize the gun at all.

It gives no controller at (0,0) but it recognizes the VMU in the gun at (0,1).

Xylene - yeah. I've been having some troubles. Third year in a row actually. It's a bit unsettling. http://www.emucamp.com has a huge rant about what happened actually if your interested...
Last edited by MetaFox on Wed Mar 19, 2003 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

oh man, that sucks, suck really bad. just keep doing those aol trials all you can do. i hope your life gets better soon, and everything works out for the best, its good to see your alive, and your still around. best wishes man.
aegis
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by aegis »

Warmtoe,
Tried your latest http://homebrew.dcemulation.org/warmtoe ... 180303.zip with my non-functioning Pelican Light Gun.

System Configuration:
Port A Standard Dreamcast Controller
(0,0) Dreamcast Controller 'Valid
(0,1) Visual Memory 'Valid

Port B Pelican LightGun with standard VMU
(1,0) Rv: 255
1 row of 8 sets of FFFFFFFF
4 rows of 8 sets of 00000000

Port C Standard Dreamcast Controller with 4x memory unit
(2,0) Dreamcast Controller 'Valid
(2,0) Visual Memory 'Valid

Whats different this time is:
Wherever the LG is plugged into I get a port x (x,0) where the controller is. Last version did not display anything about the port except for the memory module.

Hope this helps, if you need more details, just ask. Keep up the good work. :D
fritter
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by fritter »

One thing that's been confusing me - is anyone else having trouble with MadCatz light guns? I picked one up the other day specifically for this game since I'd heard a lot of success reports with it, but it doesn't work at all. I burned the game with DC Factory without any problems, and the emulator works excellently, but none of the light gun code seems to be working. NesterDC recognizes it as a mouse on startup, the D-Pad and other assorted buttons work, but pulling the trigger produces no effect whatsoever. This seems to be different than the problems people are experiencing with Pelican guns, since it's at least being recognized when the emulator starts up. Would lgtest help in this situation? I think it goes without saying I'm pretty eager to get this going. :) In any case, hats off to Warmtoe for all the work he's put into this! It looks like it's going to be loads of fun, and at the very least I can play House of the Dead 2 now. :)
BobBorakovitz
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by BobBorakovitz »

For the MadCatz gun.....
make sure the button on the side is set to normal...the top light
other than that, I dunno, I can play duck-hunt alright...
the aim is screwy as all hell, though

warmtoe: do you think you could make a switch for the target on the
screen? on startup, or something? I'd like to look at how it aims....
Also, is there a way to make a callibration for it? I thought I heard talk
of that at one point.......

thnx for all the hard work....it's deffinately getting there!!! :)
elevatorman
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by elevatorman »

yea, that is the same thing with my mad cats light gun, the trigger would not work, except for wildgunman, and gumsho, the gumsho aim was bad to the point of not playable.

hogans alley, duck hunt, neither works for me either.
ShadowofBob
ShadowOfBob
ShadowOfBob

Post by ShadowofBob »

Has anyone tried those guns that are Silent Scope compatible with the regular Nester 7.0? I think they just emulate a mouse and that is how they work with Silent Scope.
Warmtoe
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Warmtoe »

Hmmm...

Calibration... I was thinking of something to 'auto calibrate' the guns - based on the figures that you get back from the DEVINFO call - there are a couple which relate to unit power consumption, they are different for different manufacturers guns - the same (in my LIMITED tests) for the same guns (ie 2 madcatz guns have the same figure but a madcatz and an official DC one don't). I was going to use this value as a key to modify the calibration of the gun... it'll be a stack easier than trying to 'bolt on' a calibration screen to all games... If you could all run lgtest (the latest one) and supply me the entire structure it dumps out and which gun you did it with then I could see if this is viable. If it is, then I'll produce some other test program to give me figures to use - which again, I will need to ask you guys to run for me... You'll be the beta testers (everyone seems to want to be a beta tester, admitedly normally for big emus!)

On the failing guns - first off, the Pelican's don't seem to report themselves to KOS at all (the FFFFFFFF... stuff means that they failed to respond to the maple DEVINFO and ALLINFO requests) So I'm at a loss as to how to solve that one...

On the DuckHunt problem - There was some problem reported about wrong ROMS causing the problem - I have a MadCatz gun (a PAL one admittedly) and it works fine (but the aim is off... see calibration stuff above :) )

-W-
elevatorman
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by elevatorman »

how about some form of slect screen when nesterdc boots up, with a selection screen on which gun you have, and automated settings for each, u know, get one gun perfect, then move on, but it would be really complicated to do, so going with your way seems to make more sense.
BobBorakovitz
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by BobBorakovitz »

I would still like to see a manual callibration...
unless the auto callibration is really good...