Half-Life PC and Half-Life DC differences

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Chaniyth
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Half-Life PC and Half-Life DC differences

Post by Chaniyth »

Are there any differences? Gameplay wise I see none, what about the graphics? The character modles look to be more "fuller" than the PC version.

I find it odd though that all the same "Loading" screens are in the same spots in both versions.
All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you.
lim
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by lim »

I found that the models in the PC version looked a bit better. That may be, perhaps, because I play HL DC on my TV rathre than a computer screen. I did notice a few backround details missing from the DC version compared to the PC version. The PC version had many chances to upgrade and change with different build and patches- so I guess there should be a lot of differences.
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

Also couldnt you play half life multi player on PC?? I think the dc version is only 1 player
:headbang: Dreamcast :headbang:
someoneElse
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by someoneElse »

I believe the Dreamcast version had the 'High Definition Pack' built in (In fact, the reason the HD pack, and Blue Shift itself, was created)

If you buy the Blue Shift expansion, it comes with Blue Shift stand-alone game, Opposing Force expansion (Single player and multiplayer), and the HD pack for all three games. It's well worth buying if you don't have the Opposing Force expansion.
Can you survive Darwin's Blade? Sign up Today
Agent21KGB
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Agent21KGB »

Yeah the dreamcast version has the enhanced models which where later released on the pc due to the death of the dc version. Secondly there was a scheduled second dick that was to come out for multiplayer. I have no idea how complete that disc was or if it was even started.
2pacrestinpeace
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by 2pacrestinpeace »

Agent21KGB wrote:Yeah the dreamcast version has the enhanced models which where later released on the pc due to the death of the dc version. Secondly there was a scheduled second dick that was to come out for multiplayer. I have no idea how complete that disc was or if it was even started.
You said "second dick". What were you thinking about when you typed that massage?
YO, 2pace rest in peace man, I lovve you man, your the worlds greatest, and i love you man.
someoneElse
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by someoneElse »

2pacrestinpeace wrote:
You said "second dick". What were you thinking about when you typed that massage?

The same thing you were thinking when you asked about getting a massage or something.

Typo flaming is for null, if even that. Thanks.
Can you survive Darwin's Blade? Sign up Today
Sultan of Saturn
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by Sultan of Saturn »

They updated the graphics in every way imaginable. IGN had a week long session devoted to Half-Life for the DC a few weeks before its release on their Dreamcast section. They improved the graphics trumendously for the DC release, but ofcourse there were some bottlenecks due to the DC not having the amount of memory in comparison to the pc. It is a good read if you go over to the site. Look in the preview section under Half-Life for some nice screen shots and interviews. O yes, it is free to view.

http://dreamcast.ign.com
Formerly Known As "Chalavet".....
Chaniyth
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Chaniyth »

Sultan thanks. :D

I dunno what everyone is fussing about... saying 15FPS... it runs between 30 - 60FPS and so far only one part runs around 15fps... when you first start and are on the train on the way to work... there is a green slime pit... that is the only part so far that's got noticable slowdown.
All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you.
Sultan of Saturn
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by Sultan of Saturn »

I have the pc version, but it kept crashing as my computer was barely specs (AMD K5 133 mhz, 32 mb ram, 4MB Monsterd 3D Voodoo 1 card). As such, I have no clue as to make comparisons for this game and expectations on any level. However, Soldier of Fortune for the DC is based off of the Quake 2 (and Half-Life is off of an upgraded Quake 1 engine), and I did notice only a few instances when the action would drastically slow down (2 or 3 times tops I believe). Thus, it is definitely a possibility of slowdown. However, with regards to verifying framerates, I don't think I would be able to tell the difference between 30 fps vs. 60 fps. Usually 30 is the cut-off for a good framerate and 60 fps is the magic number, but I have yet to have played a fps with a bad framerate.

Although many people hated on this game, I thought Kiss: Psycho Circus did an excellent job on the framerate side especially since you usually had a bunch of characters on screen comming at you as well as having one of the best save systems for any game (2 or 3 blocks if memory serves me right).
Formerly Known As "Chalavet".....
ShadowofBob
ShadowOfBob
ShadowOfBob

Post by ShadowofBob »

There are VMU's when you break open the boxes as well as Half Life GD-Roms. :wink:
Chaniyth
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Chaniyth »

I can tell the difference between 60FPS and 30FPS. :)

As for KISS: Psycho Circus yes the game is pretty good, I definately don't hate it... dunno why people did... prolly all did the "follow the critic" thing. Morons. I too noticed the FPS were really good in the game even when a lot of characters were on screen. :D

Half-Life runs mostly 30FPS, and that definately isn't a bad thing (100% playable!).
Chaniyth
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Chaniyth »

Here's the information I was looking for, or anyone else was wnating to know for that matter.

IGNDC: We've noticed new visual changes, especially the improved look of the character models (security officers having shiny helmets). What other graphic improvements have been implemented?

RP: That stuff is candy. The enhancements to the Dreamcast version are much broader in design and implementation than just throwing a quick one-shot feature in here or there. Every character, weapon, etc. in the game has been enhanced in polygonal detail, texture resolution and often animation articulation. The results speak for themselves.

:mrgreen:
JDCreationz
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by JDCreationz »

And this isn't closed?!
Chaniyth
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Chaniyth »

JDCreationz wrote:And this isn't closed?!
No reason for it to be closed. There is no piracy discussion here. Mearly a simple question reguarding differences.
JDCreationz
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by JDCreationz »

But you cant see the differences unless you "obtained" the Dreamcast version..
Chaniyth
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Chaniyth »

I did obtain the Dreamcast version. :)
Garmo
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Garmo »

Ive been on this board for 1 day

JDCreationz already annoys me.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Geez people the PC version is $7 and its WAY better then the DC version. It has better control, better speed, more then likely better graphics, and it can support mods.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Tstyln
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Tstyln »

You guys make it sound like Half-life DC is readily available, I have only seen screenshots, Can this game be purchased anywhere?

Thanks