GBA or wait for SP?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

GBA or wait for SP?

Post by Luriden »

I plan on finally getting me a Gamecube in a few weeks, and I've been looking into a lot of the games (Zelda:WW and Metroid Prime for example) that take advantage of the GBA. I have wanted a GBA but have been afraid I would dislike it the same way I did with my GBC awhile back. I wanted one so bad but when I realized how much of a rip off the games were and how much they charged, I never played it. The games out now and coming soon for GBA look damn cool though, I must admit. But looking at previews for GBA SP, it looks VERY cool. Does anyone know how well the GBA SP will link up with the GC and use the GC-GBA features, how much it will cost compared to the original GBA, and which is worth the price overall?
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

Is it just me or is Nyar crying right now because of your sig...
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

Sorry, is the size too big? I've seen a few people around here with animations in their sigs so I didn't think it was a problem, but I'll change it.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

There we go. My favorite cartoon character. :P
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I beleive it links up to the Gamecube just as well the the regular GBA. I personally think most of the games are reasonably priced, $30 each. I remember SNES games being $60 and $70, and GBA games are about the same quality (sometimes better) then SNES games.

I just wish Nintendo would get some new games, Im not spending $20 to $30 for games I can get on SNES. I don't think that is so much a rip off, but when I buy a new game I want a new game. Id love to see a new 2D Mario and 2D Zelda on GBA.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Master Higgins
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Master Higgins »

I say get gp32 when it comes out with GBA and NGPC emulator but if you must buy regular not sp because sp is not egronaomically pleasing at all actual it is quite uncomfortable too hold and a novelty at best.
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

gp32 I think is better because better handling the sp is alittle to small. I would take that gbc off your hands for a price :D
:headbang: Dreamcast :headbang:
Tofu
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Tofu »

I was holding a mock up GBA SP at the game store today, and I must say, its pretty horrible in my opinion. The buttons all seemed too close together. If it wasnt for my double jointed fingers, I dont know how I'd be able to press the L & R buttons.

I already have a GBA with a battery pack, so Im just hoping to get an Afterburner light. Hopefully it'll be just as good. And wider.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

I find the SP uncomfortable. I could get used to it I guess.

The GP32 is pretty neat... But, there is NOT going to be a GBA emulator for it. EVER. It's a 100 mhz machine. It can't even do full speed SNES emulation. A 300 mhz machine can't do full speed GBA emulation.
AmadeusZull
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by AmadeusZull »

Lartrak wrote:I find the SP uncomfortable. I could get used to it I guess.

The GP32 is pretty neat... But, there is NOT going to be a GBA emulator for it. EVER. It's a 100 mhz machine. It can't even do full speed SNES emulation. A 300 mhz machine can't do full speed GBA emulation.
you understand why it is that case?

I am no longer an ACE@ite. Never will I kiss his feet is what I don't. And that I don't, is good I do.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

May I ask what this GP32 is? Is it a calculator or a cel phone or something?
CoasterKing
Gone Postal...
Gone Postal...

Post by CoasterKing »

Kenichi wrote:May I ask what this GP32 is? Is it a calculator or a cel phone or something?
It's a handheld from Korea. It's vastly more powerful than a GBA and it has an excellent homebrew/emulation scene right now. The only problem is there is literally no commercial game support.

Read up about it here.

Anyway I suggest you get a normal GBA with an afterburner fitted (or fit it yourself if you are handy with a soldering iron). An SP is probably an easier option but I'm not sure how good the L & R button placing is.
Master Higgins
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Master Higgins »

correction it is a 133mhz machine that uses flashkarts so there for it not only does not need to load the rom in to its system memory it also has a proccesor a little more than twice the power of gba so It will emulate GBA once the prgorammers are finsihed.
BornStupid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by BornStupid »

correction it is a 133mhz machine that uses flashkarts so there for it not only does not need to load the rom in to its system memory it also has a proccesor a little more than twice the power of gba so It will emulate GBA once the prgorammers are finsihed.
My pentium 233 MMX, 64 megs of ram machine doesnt even run all the games well... so ur telling me a handheld (missing out on the many things my PC has) will emulate the GBA perfectly? I know it'll be optimized for the machine, but I doubt ur gonna get anything near perfect.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Ask yourself the following Questions:

1) Do you play games while travelling / travel often / travel long distances semi regularly?

2) Are you going to be playing in mostly well lit areas? Preferably Fluorescent lighting.

3) Are you the type of person who gets damaged screens on handhelds fairly easily (I know I am :oops: I just chuck it in the same pocket as my keys)

4) Do you have a GC? (From your post the answer is soon 'yes')

If you answered "yes" to 1 and 3, but "no" to 2: you want a GBASP

If you answered "yes" to 1 and 2 but not 3: you can live with getting a GBA, but wait until GBASP is out and stores are dumping cheap GBA stocks and get a bargain

If you answered "no" to 1, 2, and 3 but "yes" to 4, you might as well just get the GC gba player...

EDIT: Nintendo have already stated that they are focusing almost all of their future games to being linkable with the GBA in some form or other and a couple of other companies seem to be doing the same (EA and Sega notably) but *right now* there arent really any killer reasons to have a GBA linkups (except maybe PSO Nights....) consisting mostly of just 'extras' for games (different suit in Fusion, raising Chao faster in SA2, an extra island with different fruit in AC... yeah.... :?)
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

I'll take your word for it on the 133, and it uses SmartMedia, which aren't *really* carts. They read much slower for instance, all the commercial GP32 games have quite noticable load times.

And it will never have full speed GBA. It would be like the xbox having fullspeed Dreamcast emulation - it's just not going to happen. Even the SNES emu isn't even close to full speed, though many games are playable.

There *MIGHT* be a few games that run fullspeed however, and the turn based RPGs could eventually be playable with heavy frameskipping.

That said, the GP32 is still pretty cool. Lots of emus and dev stuff for it, so I wouldn't consider it a waste if you bought it.

Oh yeah, and on the GBA SP. Try going to your local gamestop. They should have a full scale mockup with a fake screen, that'll give you a feel for it. I find it awkward personally.
Master Higgins
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Master Higgins »

snes, is only in the beginning stages though and the level of complexity between GP and GBA is much simpler compared to DC and XBOX where a lot of trial and error would be done I agree that we won't have a full speed gba emulator (at least for a while) but 80%-90% speed is possible and also people could make specifici emulators for specific games which could definetely be made full speed. I am going to get one of these GPA's when a full speed NGPC and faster SNES emulator come out plus as long as I have a Game Gear, Full Speed Super Nes, Genesis, WonderSwan, Game.Com, TG16, GBC, GBA, and Lynx emu on the way I will be very happy not to mention the pc ports- Descent, Wolf 3d, Doom, Hexen and Raptor. Plus the translator word pad (keyboard through USB port), online play through cell phone, Homebrew Games Galore- Super Fighter Pocket :D and much more I suggest the GP32. The GBA is cool the SP is probably imo the worst idea Nintendo has had since the Virtual Boy we all complained about the horrible grip of the GBC then Rejoiced the GBA's grip and now nintendo is given us this dumb gripless laptop wannabe and although I am not sure I think for a higher cost what a joke :roll: . Do yourself a favor buy your self a GBA or GP32 don't even look twice at the sp. :mrgreen:

Not to mention one can play movies on the GP32 :wink:
Last edited by Master Higgins on Tue Mar 11, 2003 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SEGA
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by SEGA »

edit: nevermind i thought yall were talking bou pc GBA emulation :oops:
Don't Fear The Toastman.

Master Higgins
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Master Higgins »

I sad earlier that the gp32 was 4 times faster than the gba that was false info
GP32= 133mhz
GBA= 16 Mhz
in other words the GP32 is as powerful as 11 gbas + one gbc.
And it also tells us the gba is severely over priced.

I also wouldn't be suprised if HK comes out with a DC-->Gp32 adaptor ala ngpc via the usb port and a gc--> gp32 adapter as well
Last edited by Master Higgins on Tue Mar 11, 2003 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SEGA
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by SEGA »

i thought the GBA had a 4mhz processor and the GP32 had a 110mhz processor

o and btw this is off topic but what does the Num Lock button on a pc keyboard do?
Don't Fear The Toastman.