GUIDE: New Bad-ass DivX Techniques...

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Automata0
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Automata0 »

Mr. Superbad, I've been testing my movies with both dcdivx 3 and 4.
Arqueiro
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Arqueiro »

can anyone post a tutorial for a hi-quality dcdivx movie ?

tanks !
3d graphics and visualization ?
http://www.arquiteturadigital.com
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

If you follow the guide at my site you'll have the tutorial up to a point - then all you have to do is use the settings mentioned on the first page of this topic. If you're not too fusssed about audio quality, leave the MP3Pro audio for now.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
lessthanbake
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by lessthanbake »

idk if this is the right place to put this but ill go with it. I am running OSX 10.2.3 and i was wondering what would be the best setting for divx on a mac since it has different encoder. Thanks for any help.
less than jake wooohoooo!!!!!!!!
Mr. Superbad
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Mr. Superbad »

Automata0 wrote:Mr. Superbad, I've been testing my movies with both dcdivx 3 and 4.
This is very odd. I would double check the settings, but who knows? Maybe dcdivx performs differently on different dreamcast models?
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

lessthanbake wrote:idk if this is the right place to put this but ill go with it. I am running OSX 10.2.3 and i was wondering what would be the best setting for divx on a mac since it has different encoder. Thanks for any help.
Are you able to access the same options? The Pro version on Windows has Bi-Directional Encoding, which is really required if you plan on going over 700kbps for Video.
Mr. Superbad wrote:
Automata0 wrote:Mr. Superbad, I've been testing my movies with both dcdivx 3 and 4.
This is very odd. I would double check the settings, but who knows? Maybe dcdivx performs differently on different dreamcast models?
DivX 5.0.2 works better for higher-resolution videos than previous versions, try that out.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

fatheadpi wrote: 138 is currently working on a new Gypplay boot kit
My kit will be available as soon as I find a reliable host for the zip file. I have it at come2store but they seem to have been down for weeks... You can try getting it there, but don't be surprised if you get a 'website not responding' type message...
There's also a link to the same file on my crappy website, @ http://onethirty.8m.com but it's just a link to the file on come2store... maybe after work I'll try and upload it somewhere else.
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I tried encoding a movie with Bi-Directional and divx pro 5.0.2 and all i got was a black screen and audio. I use mp3 pro for the audio, and was running dcdivx beta 3. Why cant i get a picture to show?
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Inu_Sess__ wrote:I tried encoding a movie with Bi-Directional and divx pro 5.0.2 and all i got was a black screen and audio. I use mp3 pro for the audio, and was running dcdivx beta 3. Why cant i get a picture to show?
What video and audio bitrates did you select?
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Audio: MP3 PRO 44.1khz 64 CBR kbps

Video: 1000 kbps, Res of 320x240
CaTaClYsM
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by CaTaClYsM »

fatheadpi wrote:Yeah that's why I seriously dig MP3Pro, we can finally get good sound quality at our bitrates, especially since ogg isn't supported as a video format yet.
You wrote this a while ago, but just in case you havent heard, there is such a thing as OGM's not only do they support OGG audio, but they can have subtitles too. (Which is GREAT for anime.)
The only reason they call it PMS is because Mad Cow Desease was already taken.
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I finally got a working one. I had to use 32kbps 32000khz MP3Pro audio to get it to play. I used divx 5.0.2 pro with bidirectional, 1000kpbs birate and a use 2:1 reduction high quality to get my anime to play almost flawlessly, a few frames are dropped but not too notciable, except to first few seconds. Quality rivals VHS and VCD, plus i can fit more eps to a cd.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

CaTaClYsM wrote:
fatheadpi wrote:Yeah that's why I seriously dig MP3Pro, we can finally get good sound quality at our bitrates, especially since ogg isn't supported as a video format yet.
You wrote this a while ago, but just in case you havent heard, there is such a thing as OGM's not only do they support OGG audio, but they can have subtitles too. (Which is GREAT for anime.)
OGM isn't currently a supported format in DCDivX, though.
Automata0
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Automata0 »

Maybe it's not working right becuase I'm using the Divx 5.0.2 GAIN bundle.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

Automata0 wrote:Maybe it's not working right becuase I'm using the Divx 5.0.2 GAIN bundle.
That's the same one that I've been using, and it works great for me. Some of the advanced options aren't supported by DCDivX, however.
CaTaClYsM
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by CaTaClYsM »

ahh, supported for DCDIVX I see now.
The only reason they call it PMS is because Mad Cow Desease was already taken.
Mr. Superbad
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Mr. Superbad »

I recently encoded an entire movie at resolution of 496x212, 800kbps (should have gone higher) with bi-directional encoding. Sound is 96kbps 32khz encoded seperately from the video with WinLame (since for some reason you can't get a 32khz mp3 to play properly if encoded with virtualdub). I was trying to fill the cd, but came up 150 megs short.

It looked and sounded great. It played at half speed 12-15x I'm not sure which, but it was very watchable. It plays back perfectly on a computer as well.

One major problem with it, though, is that with DcDivx beta 3, the right edge of the screen isn't displayed or decoded properly. It seems like about 16-32 pixels were pure black and EVERYTIME the screen scrolled to the right, huge black artifacts would run across the screen. This can probably be fixed by lowering the horizontal resolution to about 480 or less. I didn't have this problem with the 400x300 resolution anime episodes I encoded.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Mr. Superbad wrote:I recently encoded an entire movie at resolution of 496x212, 800kbps (should have gone higher) with bi-directional encoding. Sound is 96kbps 32khz encoded seperately from the video with WinLame (since for some reason you can't get a 32khz mp3 to play properly if encoded with virtualdub). I was trying to fill the cd, but came up 150 megs short.

It looked and sounded great. It played at half speed 12-15x I'm not sure which, but it was very watchable. It plays back perfectly on a computer as well.
Maybe you should lower your audio bitrate, but encode as MP3Pro, which would end up sounding better and give you smoother playback. And did you use 2-Pass? It's not really suited very well to DCDivX.
Mr. Superbad
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Mr. Superbad »

I didn't use 2-pass.

I've played around with mp3pro, and it seems to me that DcDivx can't play it back at the full 44khz, and 96kbps 32khz sound better to me. I've tested it with a video i ripped off a dvd. It can easily handle 96kbps at the video bitrate I selected. The video playback was stable throughout the movie.

As far as I know, using bi-directional encoding, it will always play back slower on DcDivx.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Using Bi-Directional Encoding is fine, and should give speedy results - I always assumed it was slow before, but that was because I was using 2-Pass. And about MP3Pro audio - the player, like all standard MP3 players, is playing the audio back at 22KHz instead of the full 44KHz. I don't know what your problem is, as I've never encountered it before. I can suggest lowering the quality of your audio to 56kbps for a test run, and if that plays then work your way upwards until you hit your peak.