NTSC?PAL

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
MagnetoMan
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

NTSC?PAL

Post by MagnetoMan »

whats the difference???
discostu55555
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by discostu55555 »

differant resolution, differant refresh rates, and i think the reolution leads to a slightly differant aspect ratio, but could be wrong...
Dr Wily

Post by Dr Wily »

yeah, NTSC games when played back on a PAL TV (unfortunately on most consoles other than DC) run at 17.5% slower speed, and have big black borders at the top and bottom of the screen - think watching something in widescreen on a non widescreen TV.

Devil May Cry on PS2 is the latest casualty of this Eurpoean videogaming favourite... :roll:
NiGHTSFTP
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by NiGHTSFTP »

NTSC has a lower resolution, but higher refresh rate (i.e. higher framerate). Good for fast-paced games.

PAL has a higher resolution (not much, 25%(?) horizontally), but a lower refresh rate (i.e. lower framerate). Good for games that are very detailed.

I personally think NTSC is better (but others argue otherwise :lol:). For quality, use an S-Video cable (4.99-7.99 at your local internet shop).
Signatures images may be no greater than cock pixels high by dick pixels wide in dimension and balls kilobytes in filesize. Multiple images may be wang, but in total they may not exceed the johnson specifications.
s?lidsnake
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by s?lidsnake »

Yes i think PAL's frames per second are around 23-24 area(not 100% sure) an NTSC is around 29, again the quality on NTSC is lower but if your watching a DVD or something on NTSC the quality is very high.
MGS2 Demo-Japanese
GAME OVER
"Snaka', Snaka', SNAAKAA!"
MagnetoMan
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

vhs videos

Post by MagnetoMan »

what about when i use nstc/pal to refer to video? theres a sight where you can order some videos for a standard vhs video... they offer both type... will they both play on my vcr??
discostu55555
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by discostu55555 »

well that would depend on if your vcr (and tv) is ntsc or pal...basically in north america and japan you want ntsc and most of the rest of the world uses pal (although i think germany uses both and im sure some other countries are split)
The Kron_

Post by The Kron_ »

Nyarlathotep wrote:yeah, NTSC games when played back on a PAL TV (unfortunately on most consoles other than DC) run at 17.5% slower speed, and have big black borders at the top and bottom of the screen
Your getting yourself confused there Nyar.

Its dependent on many factors e.g. how video signal is being displayed via which lead type.

Plus your comment on DMC is odd as its a game that has been sloppily ported with no optimisation it has no 60hz option so the consequence of running the unoptimised code at 50hz = borders and slowed speed. If you were using a chipped PAL PS2 and used an RGB lead with an NTSC version it would run happily in intended 60hz with a full screen and default speed.

Its just the fact that it was another half arsed PAL port from cappy.
Dr Wily

Post by Dr Wily »

heh, nah Im not confused, just apparently not explaining meself very well :)

unoptimised direct NTSC on PAL is bordered and slow, due to the difference in refresh rates between NTSC / PAL - I think every PAL DC owner is well aware of the difference in quality between 50 / 60 Hz...

As you were explaing to the guy in that other thread though, PAL TVs dont natively support the 60Hz option, with a surprisingly large amount of TVs around that can *only* play 50Hz through RF leads - In fact I think the Saturn was the only console ever that came with a SCART lead only, with RF an 'optional extra' - unfortunately noone else ever followed suit...
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

To add yet another variable in the mix here, PAL and NTSC use different colour encoding so it is arguable as to which offers the best colour balance. I don't know exactly how they compare colour-wise as I normally watch digitally broadcasted TV, which uses RGB colour encoding :?
NiGHTSFTP
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by NiGHTSFTP »

16-bit Miles wrote: To add yet another variable in the mix here, PAL and NTSC use different colour encoding so it is arguable as to which offers the best colour balance. I don't know exactly how they compare colour-wise as I normally watch digitally broadcasted TV, which uses RGB colour encoding :?
I'll post the best way to get true colors from a TV.. soon. (i'll post my page on the subject tomarrow.)
Signatures images may be no greater than cock pixels high by dick pixels wide in dimension and balls kilobytes in filesize. Multiple images may be wang, but in total they may not exceed the johnson specifications.