The DC hombrew scene

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
impact135
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by impact135 »

:roll:

I feel that a lot of people here are being very negative saying stuff like well he had to give out his source code and since he didnt he sucks..

well... i dont know exactly what source code is but i think its the code that was used to make the game and aparently he got the code from some place and it had a lincence on it or whatever.. but he worked on that code probably for many hours to get that emu.

ANd if it wasnt for him sharing his emus and games in the first place no one would be able to complain now would they because well you wouldnt have used his emus and games that he worked on

Reaper has contributed a lot to this site and well i really enjoyed his work..

You people should be sad to see hes left the dcemulation.org scene becuase he supported it a lot and spent countless hours developing for what for YOU!!! for everyone here.

NOw i dont know anyting about gpl and source code but i do know that he worked hard for this site and some of you treat him like yesterdays garbage.
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Captain Skyhawk »

Nice post qatmix! I agree with your post a 100%. But apparently some moderators are abusing there status and act on there own. They don't work in the interest of Dreamcast emulation but only for themselves. That's what the main problem of this forum is.
Visit the DC Help for all the Dreamcast homebrew help you need!
Go to DC Evolution, for the best ready to burn images
Skater_dusto
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by Skater_dusto »

Yes, Skyhawk's right. Just because people have mod status it doesn't make their opinion the right one. People here need to grow up and learn to co operate. After all, we only have eachother is this little community. And if you want to see it roll on then quit bickering!

I'm personally not sure why reaper got so mad when people suggested he releases the source to his program. So I don't want to point fingers. But let me just say that you guys should have worked it out like adults, and some of that goes to you reaper. You're a great coder and I'm begging you to come back, but you could have acted a little differently. If you're stressed, I don't blame you. Just please come back, for the people that are greatful for your work and respect you.

P.S. pm me. If you aren't comming back then I atleast want to keep in touch. :)
impact135
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by impact135 »

he cant come back even if he wanted to..
they banned him
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Reaper continued his work here:
http://www.angelfire.com/clone2/4dcdevr2k2

you can also contact him there

and mods have no right to edit out this link!
Rand Linden
bleemcast! Creator
bleemcast! Creator

Post by Rand Linden »

... without wanting to get into all the rights and wrongs of the whole situation, could someone point out exactly what was actually gained in the end here?

Rand.
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

Rand Linden wrote:... without wanting to get into all the rights and wrongs of the whole situation, could someone point out exactly what was actually gained in the end here?

Rand.
Nothing was gained..
There was only losses :(
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

No Hasny I'm not pointing about the Reaper thing. More about the reason that decided Phantom to leave.
polochon
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by polochon »

Rand Linden wrote:... without wanting to get into all the rights and wrongs of the whole situation, could someone point out exactly what was actually gained in the end here?

Rand.
All started here : http://www.dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewto ... 75&start=0

and to sumup I quote a post from BlackAura :
In a thread about Trailblazer, Phantom commented that it was GPL, and then Toastman observed that MAME was open source as well, and said:
toastman a ?crit:
I personally would like to see the source for all of your MAME ports. Consider this an official request as per the MAME license

Reaper outright refused. He said that he didn't want to release any source code, getting angrier because he didn't want to abide by the GPL, which states that you must release the source code all modifications you make, either publicly or on request. He started saying that he'd rather delete everything than release it, and that's what he did.

He's used his FTP access to dev.dcemulation.org to delete everything - every HTML file, every image, every program, tool, piece of source code, emulator, the lot. All gone. That includes DcSteve's site, and all of the stuff he had up there, like all the MAME releases (and not just the ones that Reaper did either), and quite a few other hosted sites too.

Nyar banned him, and that leaves us to pick up the peices and try to get back the stuff he deleted.
Le site sur l'?mulation dreamcast en fran?ais c'est http://www.dcreload.fr.st

oggy aka polochon ;)
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Captain Skyhawk wrote:No Hasny I'm not pointing about the Reaper thing. More about the reason that decided Phantom to leave.
uh.... Phantom decided to leave because he *DISAGREES COMPLETELY* with the point of view made by qatmix at the start of this thread. For 'some strange reason' coders who abide by the GPL dislike those coders who do not.

So by congratulating him on making this thread you yourself contribute to Phantoms reasons to want to stay away from these message boards. You might want to think about that.
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Captain Skyhawk wrote:No Hasny I'm not pointing about the Reaper thing. More about the reason that decided Phantom to leave.
uh.... Phantom decided to leave because he *DISAGREES COMPLETELY* with the point of view made by qatmix at the start of this thread. For 'some strange reason' coders who abide by the GPL dislike those coders who do not.

So by congratulating him on making this thread you yourself contribute to his reasons to want to stay away from these message boards. You might want to think about that.
He officially left?

Aww....
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

404NotFound wrote:He officially left?

Aww....
Hes left the forums (I am trying to persuade him to give us a second chance here :( ) but he is around in #dcemu relatively regularly
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Re: The DC hombrew scene

Maybe I shoulded use quoting, the last part I said about the moderators was pointing towards the following text:
qatmix wrote:The Dreamcast is dead, the only way it the scene will survive is for people to co-operate and to contribute and for others to assist. The Amiga proved that great software can continue to be released long after a machine is dead. That?s because it was a mature and helpful community.

The survival of the dc scene is partly in the hands of all of the members of this board, that includes the Mods. At the moment it looks like its going down the pan as its changing from a fun scene to a sad pedantic bickering mess.
Nyarlathotep wrote:So by congratulating him on making this thread you yourself contribute to Phantoms reasons to want to stay away from these message boards. You might want to think about that.
:| sigh... that's some sad way of putting words in someone mouth. Of course I do not agree releasing GPL projects without sourcecode. Qatmix never said that and I did either. And I do know the real reasons that Phantom left, what is making me quite mad.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Re: The DC hombrew scene

Post by Nyarlathotep »

You forgot to quote "What was the point of people whining about the GPL licence for projects" in the post you "agree 100% with"...

"people whining" being Phantom nd Toastman making a request that is the basic operating principle of the GPL licence.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

impact135 wrote::roll:

I feel that a lot of people here are being very negative saying stuff like well he had to give out his source code and since he didnt he sucks..
I'm not beating this one any further. Reaper is wrong on this one. Leave it at that. By d/ling and altering the code and release binaries based on that code reaper had an obligation to release said code. The fact that he didn't is sad and pathetic.
well... i dont know exactly what source code is but i think its the code that was used to make the game and aparently he got the code from some place and it had a lincence on it or whatever.. but he worked on that code probably for many hours to get that emu.

ANd if it wasnt for him sharing his emus and games in the first place no one would be able to complain now would they because well you wouldnt have used his emus and games that he worked on
Personally, I haven't used the emus he recompiled and he has no games to speak of really. And that's the crux of this whole issue really, they weren't his emus/games. They were someone else's. And those someone elses said that if you wanted to make ports/changes/etc, you have to follow certain rules, if you don't, don't release altered binaries.

Remember, NesterDC wouldn't be as good as it is today if Ken Friece hadn't stuck to the spirit of the GPL. KOS wouldn't be nowhere near where it is now if Dan Potter hadn't released it under a similar license and people didn't share back with him.
KOS, libronin, and LinuxDC all share code and ideas from one another. If you subscribe to the KOS/dcdev mailing lists you would see that the people there are all about sharing ideas and furthering the DC scene.
Reaper has contributed a lot to this site and well i really enjoyed his work..

You people should be sad to see hes left the dcemulation.org scene becuase he supported it a lot and spent countless hours developing for what for YOU!!! for everyone here.
:roll:
Sad an attention starved liar with an ego bigger than Australia left us, but keeps rejoining with new names and spamming his site. He did what he did for himself, no one else. He did it for the attention and respect he got from the mindless crack-retards of this site. His releases are easy to do, that's why he could crank them out.
No signature.
WRAGGSTER
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster

Post by WRAGGSTER »

Ok lets all move on, lets focus on the positive and leave the negative well alone.

Also lets all try and get along. :)

And lets change the bloody tape :wink:

I would pesonally like to know if the best programmer to grace the DC Scene (rand Linden) will ever share some of his marvellous coding talents with us again.

in any case bickering is bad lets all share the lurve in these forums :P
Webmaster of DCEmu

The Homebrew and Gaming Network Covering All Consoles.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

So, when is the next DreamSNES coming out? ;)
No signature.
saber07
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by saber07 »

polochon wrote:

Rand.
All started here : http://www.dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewto ... 75&start=0

and to sumup I quote a post from BlackAura :
In a thread about Trailblazer, Phantom commented that it was GPL, and then Toastman observed that MAME was open source as well, and said:
toastman a ?crit:
I personally would like to see the source for all of your MAME ports. Consider this an official request as per the MAME license

Reaper outright refused. He said that he didn't want to release any source code, getting angrier because he didn't want to abide by the GPL, which states that you must release the source code all modifications you make, either publicly or on request. He started saying that he'd rather delete everything than release it, and that's what he did.

He's used his FTP access to dev.dcemulation.org to delete everything - every HTML file, every image, every program, tool, piece of source code, emulator, the lot. All gone. That includes DcSteve's site, and all of the stuff he had up there, like all the MAME releases (and not just the ones that Reaper did either), and quite a few other hosted sites too.

Nyar banned him, and that leaves us to pick up the peices and try to get back the stuff he deleted.
Umm, you didnt answer his question... No gain what so ever, only loss.
Silence is Golden
qatmix
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by qatmix »

I very much doubt that Phantom would of left these boards due to my earlier post. (NOTE he has not left the scene, only these boards). As phantom is working under GPL he will be fully aware that you are not at liberty to release the source for projects that are not at a finished state. When a release is an Alpha or Beta then you are not under obligation supply the code.

I fully support GPL and think its a great way to share resources, and I feel that people should release the source off all major releases to keep contributing towards the spirit of GPL, however I also understand that you dont have to release it until it is a full release.

Maybe there should be a definition of what is a limited release and what is a full release? This could stop all of this?

I will not stand for people taking comments from me and twisting them.

Thanks,
Q
mkjones
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by mkjones »

Jesus! I have a weekend with a broken PC and this happens!?

Man, what a major balls up...
Dust on the Dreamcast