Do these work???

Anything DreamSNES-related can be asked in this forum, such as general questions about the emulator, how to burn it, etc.
rippin snare
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Do these work???

Post by rippin snare »

Hi

I don't mean to be a pain but I am thinking of getting a dreamcast for myself and would like to get into dreamsnes when I get it.

These are currently a small batch of games that I am really wanting to get into but am wondering if anyone has any info on how they run?

Dragon Quest 5E
Illusion of Gaia
Lufia 2
Secret of the Stars
Secret of Mana 2 (Seiken Detsetsu 3)
Tales of Phantasia

I know I should really just burn and try it out for myself but again I don't actually have the DC unit it my hands.

If anyone can tell me whether or not these games properly play and most importantly SPEED WISE how do they play I would really appreciate a response.

Thanks in advance
pHaDeD xP
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by pHaDeD xP »

Well, i am sorry to say that most of the games or even more sadley all of them will probubly NOT play at 100% speed. There are a few games on dreamSNES that do, but dont buy a dreamcast and burn DreamSNES and expect it to work just as well as the SNES. As for the future releases, hopefully they will get at least 80%-90% of all the games working at full speed. as for now, dont buy a dreamcast just for DreamSNES, but i am happy to say that a purchase of a Dreamcast is not pointless, far from it. It has literally hundreds of great games to play. This is proven by the HUGE community of Dreamcast fans even after ill time death from the market and notice i said market, not meaning complete death, because the people in this community and many others like it has trived, and struggled to keep this great system alive.

A few of the MUST have title for dreamcast are as follows:

Phantasy Star Online v2
Sonic Adventure 1/2
Skies of Arcadia
RE: Code Veronica

and these are just a few of the many great titles. I hope I have convinced you to be a proud owner of a Dreamcast, God know that I am :mrgreen:

(Note: check the Dreamcast compatability page before you purchase a Dreamcast, as the newer modles of the DC do not support the use of CD-Rs, thus rendering them usless for emulation or other needs that would in volve CD-Rs)
rippin snare
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by rippin snare »

hi mate

thank you for the wonderful response. It was thorough, in depth and helpful. =)

I wasnt planning on buying a dreamcast solely for dreamsnes but it was definately a nice perc. I am going to get one definately cause you are right, you can't go wrong with great games for it and the possibility of an updated dreamsnes release is always there.

As for skies of arcadia that would definately be a game i would play but I just got it for my gamecube cause I never planned on getting a dreamcast.

one thing that is bothering me is your comment regarding some dreamcast models not being able to play CDR??? How the heck do I know which ones do and don't? With the dreamcast being long out of manufacturing I am going to be purchasing a used one from a local store but want to make sure I get one that can in fact play cdr cause the emulations are imortant to me.

if you can help me out with any info i would really, really appreciate it.

thanks again for your response.
Sir Slash

Post by Sir Slash »

I have had many dreamcasts in my hands to work with... none of them DID NOT play cdrs... so its more or less false that some don't play them....unless ou get certain Japan units. June 2000 DO play cdrs, black sports dreamcast DOES as well. if your really worried about it though getting an older date like 1999 would work i suppose.
WELCO
ME
TOT
HE
NEX
T
LEVEL

toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

Sir Slash wrote:I have had many dreamcasts in my hands to work with... none of them DID NOT play cdrs... so its more or less false that some don't play them....unless ou get certain Japan units. June 2000 DO play cdrs, black sports dreamcast DOES as well. if your really worried about it though getting an older date like 1999 would work i suppose.
I've seen at least one that will not boot anything that I've burned for it.
Just because you haven't doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
No signature.
pHaDeD xP
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by pHaDeD xP »

well as for DC's that do not boot CD-Rs... well it is rare (as i cearly stated in my first response) but it DOES happen, and I am just warning of the possibility. Go buy the DC, or go to the store your buying it from and ask to see the unit, and copy the info that is on a silver sticker placed on the bottom of the unit, bring that home, go to dcemulation.org's main page and look for a section called "DC compatibility) or somthing that sounds like that, they have pictures that show compatible models and incompatible models, i am just warning you because i know a few people that unfortunatley picked up one of these, and they WILL NOT boot any CD-Rs. Well im glad your getting a DC, you will not be dissapointed, it is one of the most versitile home console in the history of gaming. It has been a couple years since i got my unit, and it still proves to be a great console in almost every way. good luck.
pHaDeD xP
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by pHaDeD xP »

o yeah sorry i just realized that i didnt clarify in my first response on how RARE it really is to get a DC that dosnt play CD-Rs :mrgreen:
someoneElse
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by someoneElse »

pHaDeD xP wrote:Go buy the DC, or go to the store your buying it from and ask to see the unit, and copy the info that is on a silver sticker placed on the bottom of the unit, bring that home, go to dcemulation.org's main page and look for a section called "DC compatibility.
That page is so out of date I don't even see why it is still up there anymore...

Better yet, ask them to see it, and pop in a Utopia Boot Disk or premade homebrew/emu disk on CDR.
Can you survive Darwin's Blade? Sign up Today
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

I thought pretty much if it's got a manufactured date prior to 11/2000 it'll work...
Chaniyth
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Chaniyth »

Mine is from 1999. I don't think the previous owner even used it much. :lol:

My goal is to find a Dreamcast that is brandnew and has NEVER been used. :D
All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you.
uZiel
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by uZiel »

kubyx wrote:My goal is to find a Dreamcast that is brandnew and has NEVER been used. :D
It's easy... at least here in spain it is, it's relatively easy to find a store that still has a dreamcast to sell, I bought a new one this christmas. (hope it will last)
The Black Wind Howls... El Viento Negro A?lla... [http://www.erezatrans.com --> las mejores traducciones]
pHaDeD xP
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by pHaDeD xP »

i bought mine before the DC went under, and btw, thanx i didint knoe that page wuhz outdated :roll: