Will the PS2 read DVD-Rs?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Will the PS2 read DVD-Rs?

Post by Roofus »

I know the PS2 won't boot one without a mod chip, but can an unmodded PS2 play a movie off one?
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

my brothers V7 model ps2 (i think its s v7) plays them fine with no modchip, its a direct dvd copy though, from a dvd rom to a dvd-burner. i dont know if there is a differnce between how homemade dvd's(from like home movies and stuff) and actually commercial dvd's
Cless
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by Cless »

Yup plays dvdr movies and some units play dvdrw movies.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Xylene wrote:my brothers V7 model ps2 (i think its s v7) plays them fine with no modchip, its a direct dvd copy though, from a dvd rom to a dvd-burner. i dont know if there is a differnce between how homemade dvd's(from like home movies and stuff) and actually commercial dvd's
There is - commercial discs have region codes on them, and the data stored in them is encrypted to (theoretically) stop piracy. Of course, if you can just duplicate the disc then the copy protection is kinda useless. More likely that not, the PS2 won't play region-free, unencrypted discs, because Sony have a major stake in the commercial DVD technology.
Cless
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by Cless »

BlackAura wrote:
Xylene wrote:my brothers V7 model ps2 (i think its s v7) plays them fine with no modchip, its a direct dvd copy though, from a dvd rom to a dvd-burner. i dont know if there is a differnce between how homemade dvd's(from like home movies and stuff) and actually commercial dvd's
There is - commercial discs have region codes on them, and the data stored in them is encrypted to (theoretically) stop piracy. Of course, if you can just duplicate the disc then the copy protection is kinda useless. More likely that not, the PS2 won't play region-free, unencrypted discs, because Sony have a major stake in the commercial DVD technology.
The PS2 plays region free disk.
kaio
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by kaio »

Cless wrote:
BlackAura wrote:
not out the box. need a gameshark or other similar disc to circumvent the region coding
Cless
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by Cless »

kaio wrote:
Cless wrote:
BlackAura wrote:
not out the box. need a gameshark or other similar disc to circumvent the region coding
Mine plays region 0 right out the box. So does my friends.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Cless wrote:Mine plays region 0 right out the box. So does my friends.
Thats great.
You did know that region 0 is the 'universal' region and has no territory lockout and posted that in an ironic sense right?

Region 0 is NOT 'region free'

I wouldn't want anyone thinking you have no clue what you're talking about or anything......
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

My v4 PS2 read DVD-R movies fine, meh it plays DVD-R games aswell now ;)
Cless
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by Cless »

Gmc wrote:My v4 PS2 read DVD-R movies fine, meh it plays DVD-R games aswell now ;)
:D Of course you only use those for legitamite HB emulators and things right?
Roofus

Post by Roofus »

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Cless wrote:Mine plays region 0 right out the box. So does my friends.
Thats great.
You did know that region 0 is the 'universal' region and has no territory lockout and posted that in an ironic sense right?

Region 0 is NOT 'region free'

I wouldn't want anyone thinking you have no clue what you're talking about or anything......
www.dvddemystified.com wrote:Technically there is no such thing as a region 0 disc or a region 0 player. There is such thing as an all-region disc. There are also all-region players. Some players can be "hacked" with special command sequences from the remote control to switch regions or play all regions. Some players can be physically modified ("chipped") to play discs regardless of the regional codes on the disc. This usually voids the warranty, but is not illegal in most countries. (The only thing that requires player manufacturers to region-code their players is the CSS license. See 1.11) On Feb. 7, 2001, NASA sent two multiregion DVD players to the International Space Station. Information about modifying players and buying region-free players can be found on the Internet (see 6.4.2)

And just for the record, here's a list of the region codes:

1: U.S., Canada, U.S. Territories
2: Japan, Europe, South Africa, and Middle East (including Egypt)
3: Southeast Asia and East Asia (including Hong Kong)
4: Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Central America, Mexico, South America, and the Caribbean
5: Eastern Europe (Former Soviet Union), Indian subcontinent, Africa, North Korea, and Mongolia
6: China
7: Reserved
8: Special international venues (airplanes, cruise ships, etc.)
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Gmc wrote:My v4 PS2 read DVD-R movies fine, meh it plays DVD-R games aswell now ;)

without any mods?
kaio
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by kaio »

Roofus wrote: And just for the record, here's a list of the region codes:

1: U.S., Canada, U.S. Territories
2: Japan, Europe, South Africa, and Middle East (including Egypt)
3: Southeast Asia and East Asia (including Hong Kong)
4: Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Central America, Mexico, South America, and the Caribbean
5: Eastern Europe (Former Soviet Union), Indian subcontinent, Africa, North Korea, and Mongolia
6: China
7: Reserved
8: Special international venues (airplanes, cruise ships, etc.)
airplanes and cruise ships get their own region codes? :o umm wow
Roofus

Post by Roofus »

kaio wrote:
airplanes and cruise ships get their own region codes? :o umm wow
Yeah...you'd think they'd either go with Region 1 or multi-region players.
BornStupid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by BornStupid »

Gmc wrote:
My v4 PS2 read DVD-R movies fine, meh it plays DVD-R games aswell now

without any mods?
He made it a little obvious it had a modchip.. "it plays DVD-R games aswell NOW" and a wink face. :wink:
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

BornStupid wrote:

Gmc wrote:
My v4 PS2 read DVD-R movies fine, meh it plays DVD-R games aswell now

without any mods?
He made it a little obvious it had a modchip.. "it plays DVD-R games aswell NOW" and a wink face. :wink:

i was reading through it quickly and didnt notice it.
BornStupid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by BornStupid »

it's not a prob, just thought I'd help clearify.