PS2 version of Splinter Cell may be BETTER than XBox?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by perry »

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHA...

Ha.

The Xbox version has new levels downloadable through XB Live. Have you seen teh Screenies ? They scare me.
In the words of Q-Tip : Looking for vibes or positivity, not negativity / 'Cause we gotta strive for longevity by online gaming
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

I hope they aren't great levels then. We kno the PS2 can't handle what the Xbox can so maybe they're just trying to get hype with changing things in the game which the PS2 can't handle and calling them 'PS2 exclusive parts'. I hope the levels the Xbox can download are exclusive :? .
In the words of Q-Tip : Looking for vibes or positivity, not negativity / 'Cause we gotta strive for longevity by online gaming
AmadeusZull
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Re: PS2 version of Splinter Cell may be BETTER than XBox?

Post by AmadeusZull »

Hollywood Hasney wrote:
Besides recreating the stunning lighting and shadow effects found in the Xbox version of the game, new environmental effects have been added, allowing the artistically-inclined of you to admire the shimmer of heat haze, new reflective surfaces, realistic sea waves as well as depth and focus blurring.

The PS2 version of the game will also feature new levels, new gizmos to play with and some new cinematics.
New gadgets, levels, cinematics AND GFX effects.... aw fec, lets hope the GC gets them too
don't 4get the pc version.

also mgs coming 4 pc. same day - feb 18!!!
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

MGS2 ? I haven't played it yet but the story looks a little stupid for me.
reaper2k2
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by reaper2k2 »

not saying a word about this topic IT shows total lack of understanding by one person on what can and cant be done

THE ps2 version may have some better effects then the x box live with it
http://homebrew.dcemulation.com/dcgames/ *homebrew webbrowser games *

http://r2k2gate.topcities.com *dev site and my releases*
Im' a Commodorian are you?
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

They have to put something in the PS2 version since they watered down the graphics so much.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
CoasterKing
Gone Postal...
Gone Postal...

Post by CoasterKing »

I've seen the screenshots and I agree that the PS2 version looks horrible. However, I will reserve judgement until I see it moving. It could possibly end up bettering the Xbox version.

I know the Xbox is getting levels through Live but they could be completely different to the PS2 ones.

Xbox MGS2:Substance is said to suffer from a lot of slowdown. Pretty unacceptable IMO. I'll get the PC version as long as it isn't an equally half-assed port.

/me sees some vicious Fanboy arguments starting over Splinter Cell :lol:
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

reaper2k2 wrote:not saying a word about this topic IT shows total lack of understanding by one person on what can and cant be done

THE ps2 version may have some better effects then the x box live with it
What's an 'x box' :lol:

Better effects than Xbox Live...It isn't really an effect.
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

CK, substance has the slow down because the developers felt it didn't effect gameplay too much to go and bother fixing it. They used some method of drawing the effects onto the screen with the PS2 that didn't transfer over well to the Xbox....
Tetris: 556-381-350-981
MKDS: 163-282-974-709
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Basically, the Xbox can't easily do the same kind of framebuffer effects that PS2 and Gamecube can. The PS2 ones tend to use all of the PS2's extra CPUs to do it, but the Xbox just has one CPU, which is lousy at doing floating point calculations - that's why the Xbox relies on it's graphics card to do all of the hardware transformation and lighting effects, which have to be done using the main CPU and the coprocessors on a PS2.

Basically, that means that the PS2 can program the vector coproecssors to calculate framebuffer effects, but you can't do that on an Xbox because it's equivalent to those is part of the graphics system, and can't be user-programmed.

And generally, they look crap anyway. The only game I've ever seen that used them properly was Mario Sunshine for the Gamecube. If anyone thinks that the PS2 is superior because it can do 2D graphics effects, then they are sadly mistaken. And I still don't know how the Gamecube can manage to pull it off, unless it's got some funky graphics hardware, or a very well-designed CPU.

And the reason that the PS2 version of Splinter Cell would have this extra work done on it is simple: money. Publishers tend to throw a lot more money at PS2 games, because they see is as less of a risk than a GC or Xbox game. That's also why there are a lot of poor-quality ports of PS2 games on the 'cube and the 'box.
CoasterKing
Gone Postal...
Gone Postal...

Post by CoasterKing »

atf487 wrote:CK, substance has the slow down because the developers felt it didn't effect gameplay too much to go and bother fixing it. They used some method of drawing the effects onto the screen with the PS2 that didn't transfer over well to the Xbox....
If the gameplay isn't badly affected then I may end up getting it after all. I would preferred if they had fixed it completely though :P
Cless
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by Cless »

CoasterKing wrote:
atf487 wrote:CK, substance has the slow down because the developers felt it didn't effect gameplay too much to go and bother fixing it. They used some method of drawing the effects onto the screen with the PS2 that didn't transfer over well to the Xbox....
If the gameplay isn't badly affected then I may end up getting it after all. I would preferred if they had fixed it completely though :P
Its not that bad whoever I think the Japanese Substance for PS2 played smoother. That is unless you have like 20 sleepy bodies in room.
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

Yeah, it was kind of lazy on their part not to fix it, but if they make the next one with the xbox in mind, i.e not a port, it should be better.

I hate PS2 - Xbox/GC ports.
Tetris: 556-381-350-981
MKDS: 163-282-974-709
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

I second the hate of PS2 - Xbox/GC ports.