Why is segagen illegal?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
ColGraff
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Why is segagen illegal?

Post by ColGraff »

I don't want to know where to get it, I'm just curious.
Marijuana is a gateway drug to more destructive vices, like dreamcast :-)
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

I think it was made with pirated dev kits... not sure.
Joestar
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Joestar »

it is a hack of Sega's Smash Pack.
ColGraff
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Thanks!

Post by ColGraff »

Thanks for the info, now I know exactly why I'm a criminal. That's good, I suppose. :)
Marijuana is a gateway drug to more destructive vices, like dreamcast :-)
Tails Prower
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Tails Prower »

:roll: man with all these people asking what segagen is someone should create a topic explaining what it is, and why its illegal. then a mod should make it a sticky topic.
404NotFound wrote: hey mrinsulto or whatever your name is, for the last time
A DREAMCAST IS NOT A PLAYSTATION2!!!
Van_Lardo
DCEmu Hanger On
DCEmu Hanger On

Post by Van_Lardo »

I agree whole-heartedly with that statement. There should ge a special section underlying why it is illegal to download THAT emulator.

I for one, would like to know why it's wrong to download it when you actually own an official copy of the Sega Smash Pack Vol. 1 game...

It's not illegal to download ROMs if you own them officially, so why not the emulators?

Segagen should only be downloaded by those who OWN Sega Smash Pack Vol. 1 just the same as someone who downloads Mario World for DreamSNES should have to own the Snes cart... IN MY OPINION

:? Fair enough?

Now no more of these illegal issue topics, please? These issues should have been dealt with a long time ago! :(
Image http://www.geocities.com/vanlardo HELP! I CAN'T POST ANY MORE MESSAGES! I KEEP GETTING MESSAGES TELLING ME TO COME BACK LATER!
Tails Prower
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Tails Prower »

I beleive it has to do something with the roms not being in the form of the origional game (ie cartdridges) therefore, illegal.
404NotFound wrote: hey mrinsulto or whatever your name is, for the last time
A DREAMCAST IS NOT A PLAYSTATION2!!!
IUG-13

Post by IUG-13 »

Tails Prower wrote: :roll: man with all these people asking what segagen is someone should create a topic explaining what it is, and why its illegal. then a mod should make it a sticky topic.
Cuz no one really reads our stickies. We have one saying if you need help, post it in the Help Forum, but no one notices...
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

Well Van_lardo....

If people own the official Sega Smash pack then why would then WANT to download it?
In the words of Q-Tip : Looking for vibes or positivity, not negativity / 'Cause we gotta strive for longevity by online gaming
biohazard
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

um

Post by biohazard »

Because the official Sega Smash Pack only lets you play 8 or so games, and you have to have the ripped one to use it as a true emulator.
reptilezero
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by reptilezero »

if you own the smash pack, consider "segagen" a backup of sorts (although not really). course if you don't feel bad for downloading nes, snes and genesis roms, what makes it so bad to download just one more illegal app to play them? last i checked, you could buy all the old games you could ever want off of ebay, gamestop and other places, along with all of the systems, and we ALL know we're not playing backups of games we own; especially since we didn't dump them ourselves. If you want to get really technical about it, every game that you download, regardless of whether you own the cart or board, is illegal because it is not a dump of the cart of board that is in your possession; it is a dump of a cart or board owned by another person. Course I'm not saying don't download segagen, and don't collect all the roms you can find :) In fact, I say download 'em all and burn them to cds for posterity. That's what I do anyway...i doubt there's too many people here that remember this, but awhile back the IDSA had a little crackdown on sites containing roms that ran on MAME, along with sites hosting nes and snes roms. Needless to say, you can never rely on the games to be on the net forever, so it's best to just get them while you can and archive them. Yeah I know about abem and all that, but this is aimed more at the people new to the whole rom collecting "hobby" :) So ummmm...yeah. Don't feel bad about downloading segagen if you own the Smash Pack or something :)