What exactly is GHETTO PLAY/OGG-VORBIS?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
hisashi joe
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What exactly is GHETTO PLAY/OGG-VORBIS?

Post by hisashi joe »

I aint got a clue as its all greek to me?
Dr Zoidberg
The Filth
The Filth

Post by Dr Zoidberg »

It's a music player.

One thing that confuses me about it are all the different names that are used, I'm sure that I'm calling it the wrong thing most of the time. :wink:
hisashi joe
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by hisashi joe »

Do you mean like a mp3 player?
I noticed some thing like media player is being added does that mean you can watch movies or trailers downloaded from the inter net?
Cheers!
Dr Zoidberg
The Filth
The Filth

Post by Dr Zoidberg »

It's like an mp3 player, it has it's own format that you have to encode the files into, you can read more about it here.
Heliophobe_
Smeg Creator
Smeg Creator

Post by Heliophobe_ »

The short version is:

Ogg Vorbis is a music format similar to .mp3, except that the algorithms used to encode and decode it are patent and license free. This means that anyone can legally develop a program that encodes and/or plays Ogg Vorbis files, without owing any royalties to anyone.

If you've ever looked for freeware programs that encode mp3's on an unlimited basis, you've probably either turned up something warezed without realizing it, or found nothing. That's because any developer that releases software that can encode mp3 files must pay the patent owners (Fraunhofer?) a royalty for each copy made available (so free software is clearly impossible - you'd have to pay royalties for each download).

The official Vorbis libraries come with a very flexible license, and there's nothing stopping someone from developign their own.

The format's not quite finished yet, though, right now it performs and compresses about as well as mp3 at the same quality but should eventually be able to surpass it.

Ghetto Play is an .s3m (tracked music format) player that was part of the libdream (and KOS?) examples. It was modified to be able to play Ogg Vorbis files using the Vorbis library, saving the author from having to code a new GUI.
Rocky Balboa
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by Rocky Balboa »

nice explanation heliphobe, your so wonderful :D
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Sounds cool and all that you can play mp3's on your DC, but is it really worth going through all that trouble? I think I would just listen to them on my PC since if my DC is on I will be playing something on it more then likely :)
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

Since you said it will supass mp3 does that mean it will be compressed smaller?

That would be great for those of us with dial-up :!:
In the words of Q-Tip : Looking for vibes or positivity, not negativity / 'Cause we gotta strive for longevity by online gaming
Heliophobe_
Smeg Creator
Smeg Creator

Post by Heliophobe_ »

perry2175 wrote: Since you said it will supass mp3 does that mean it will be compressed smaller?

That would be great for those of us with dial-up :!:
Yes, Vorbis should offer better quality with less data, so filesizes will be smaller than equivelant mp3's, and sound better. I guess it already does this (the page I was looking at before might have been a little out of date) but they're still working on improving it.

...which isn't entirely unique, there are already better codecs out there than what is used with .mp3 files. .MP3 itself is rather outdated technology, but you know how hard it is to get the world to convert to a new standard. Right now most of the other codecs have patents and license restrictions that are even worse that .mp3, so hopefully Vorbis or something else that's free will catch on in a big way.
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Must say, I'm pretty interested in any new audio format. I've been using Radium MP3 for quite some time now, and while it's better than a gig of uncompressed pcm, it's time for something a little more powerful in the compression department. Especially for those of us who refuse to settle for divx movies at resolutions less than 720x480. I'd really like to see something that could encode an hour and a half's worth of audio in about 50 megs space or less, so go ogg, viva la resistance or somethin.
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

actually nooooooo

come to think of it i just got a personal MP3 player!!!!!

So to everyone in the world....

stick with the old outdated MP3 !!!
In the words of Q-Tip : Looking for vibes or positivity, not negativity / 'Cause we gotta strive for longevity by online gaming