Best DC RPG?

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
mariobro
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by mariobro »

Yeah, Evolution I & II are great-looking, but they can get tedious. They're old-school, difficult RPGs, just like the Japanese like them. They remind me a lot of Phantasy Star II. They have great music and beautiful graphics, and cute characters.

Speaking of Phantasy Star... I'll never forgive Sega for not releasing an offline PS game for the DC. They could have just slapped on a story, some puzzles, and some travel, and it would have been the best DC RPG. Or just a remake of PS4, with the PSO engine. That would have been awesome.
"Until I finally made it, life was kinda hit or miss...
And I'd love to talk philosophy, but I gotta take a piss"
-David Lee Roth
feels
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by feels »

mariobro wrote: Speaking of Phantasy Star... I'll never forgive Sega for not releasing an offline PS game for the DC. They could have just slapped on a story, some puzzles, and some travel, and it would have been the best DC RPG. Or just a remake of PS4, with the PSO engine. That would have been awesome.
Werd. I hated the fact that the story didn't play a part in the gameplay of PSO.
reaper2k2
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by reaper2k2 »

ahhhhhh! rpg best one would be lufia2 on dreamsnes
http://homebrew.dcemulation.com/dcgames/ *homebrew webbrowser games *

http://r2k2gate.topcities.com *dev site and my releases*
Im' a Commodorian are you?
BlackxKnight
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by BlackxKnight »

I dont know what youre talking about time stalkers is great the game is too short but the capture thing i find great its def worth the $5 at eb
BxKreations Now much more than just Mugen.
Safety in Nimbus
Revenge Therapist
Revenge Therapist

Post by Safety in Nimbus »

Grandia 2 and SOA are really the only good rpgs for the DC. There's others but these are mainly the top two.
Sultan of Saturn
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by Sultan of Saturn »

Well, I finally beat Time Stalkers last night. I was trying to beat it with Pyra in the last dungeon with an Emerald and a White Priest that were both upgraded, but the Executioners were putting the smack down each time I went through. I decided to go with Sword, and it was a walk in the park even with the boss fights. It is a flawed game when there is a lack of "balance" when you fight with different characters. Granted, each character has their strengths and weaknesses, but equal time invested should yield equal results for each character.

Granted, Time Stalkers is only a few dollars, and it costs the same or less than a movie ticket. I would say that it offered several more hours of entertainment than a movie, but the side missions with Mr. Noiman just doesn't compare to the excitement of going exploring in Skies of Arcadia. Also, with the ability to only carry about 4 pieces into each dungeon regardless of however much you have in storage, I must say that is totally stupid. Granted, gamers have become used to having unlimited or large storage capacity in rpgs, but only four is rediculous.
Formerly Known As "Chalavet".....
DCrules
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by DCrules »

I wanth to ply strategy but DCno have a only Conflict zone
DCrules
DREAMCAST REVOLUTION
DREAMCAST FOREVER
DCrules
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by DCrules »

A neuw browser is veri good whit midi vmu games and aplaoud.....................
DCrules
DREAMCAST REVOLUTION
DREAMCAST FOREVER
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

"(and supposedly better graphics wise). "

I can verifiy this. Grandia II for PS2 has frame rate problems and worse textures. The frame rate choppiness is the worst though. Grandia II was obviously designed with the DC's higher vram in mind, and they did a poor job of changing the rendering techniques to take advantage of the PS2 advantages.

I hear Headhunter has the same problem on PS2.

Grandia II is excellent, though the story is cliched, I didn't mind because I've barely played any PS2s. It has the best voice acting I have ever heard in a game, by far. Note that much of the dialogue is text, but the important scenes are voiced. The character development is the best around, and the battle system is the first turn-based RPG (discounting tactical games like Vandal Hearts, Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics) system that hasn't bored me to tears. There are also ZERO random battles. The only thing I really have to dock it for is that suddenly there's a really, really hard boss about 1/3 of the way through and you're totally unprepared for it.

Skies of Arcadia has way to many random battles. I still have barely played it because of that. I think I might just cheat my way because it has a good storyline. Skies of Arcadia Legends for GCN fixes these problems and has a minor graphical upgrade.

EGG is very good, though also very hard at a few points. The only 2D game I know of on DC that is not a fighter, puzzler or shooter. Most reviews it give it low points for graphics, which is ridiculous - the art is gorgeous.

I enjoyed D2, got it for $6 new. If I'd of payed full retail I'd of felt ripped off, as it is incredibly easy for the most part, though fun while it lasts. Takes 5-10 hours to beat. Good storyline with good cinemas and what have you, it's more like one of those entertaining B-grade sci fi movies then a game.