ROTT source released

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
MetalGearRay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by MetalGearRay »

Fragger wrote:Rise Of The Triad? I thought it was Sega's "Rouse Of The Ted".
LMFAO! :lol:
ZZ_TOPPER_X wrote:Then they should rerelease ROTT 1 for the GBA. With MP of course.
Hell yeah!
Kim Kaphwan
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Kim Kaphwan »

Let's hope someone creates an "GL ROTT" for the PC of something, then porting to the DC would be a lot easier. ROTT with hardware acceleration... oh yeah!!!
deminisma
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by deminisma »

It's already been ported to Linux! Apparently they've been working with it for a mere 24 hours and have got it up and running with the first level practically playable. Very, very, impressive.

http://forums.3drealms.com/ubb/ultimate ... 4;t=000010
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

Veggita2099 wrote:
XDelusion wrote:That's crazy, hopefully someone will work with this on the PC atleast, and get the controls adjusted a bit, I always despised games where you press a button to look up, and one to look down, always wondered why they did not just try for freelook in the first place.
I think it autoaims like Doom did. Back in the old days of FPSers you didn't need to look up and down.
Doom didn't autoaim, there was no up/down, it was just a cunningly crafted illusion. Ever noticed that you could never go under a structure in Doom? That's because the map is really flat. The '3D' effect is the equivilant of an optical illusion. A damn fine one at that too. :D
No signature.
reaper2k2
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by reaper2k2 »

THE source has been ported to sdl for the video and would run on windows with a little bit of fiddling so looks like it on the dc is not as hard as it was going to be :D
http://homebrew.dcemulation.com/dcgames/ *homebrew webbrowser games *

http://r2k2gate.topcities.com *dev site and my releases*
Im' a Commodorian are you?
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Interesting. I hadn't really looked at it, but the bit that said 'This requires Borland TASM and Watcom C 10.0' kinda put me off. I might give it proper look later.

And Doom did kinda autoaim. If you were aiming directly at an enemy (in 2D) it automatically aimed at them in 2.5D as well, neatly getting around the 'can't look up' thing.
ben15dc
a frickin badge
a frickin badge

Post by ben15dc »

OMG! This game is great :o ROTT is in the top 5 best FPS in my opinion along with Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior, Doom. Black-Aura would be the best coder for this game. No doubt.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I've just downloaded the source and had a better look through. It should be possible, because they did write some of it in a portable way, kinda like Doom. Problem is that the engine is even more hacked-together and complex than Doom was, so it might take a little more effort. It might be worth a try later on though.
HyperG
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by HyperG »

zz , as it's been mentioned before, the game uses a ton of asm and MS DOS specific code. So a port is out of the question at the moment, unless somebody makes a C or C++ port.
If you think typing 'make' is hard, forget coding.
If you can't figure out the commands to DC-Tool, forget coding.
If you think coding is as easy as typing printf("Hello World\n"); , shoot yourself.
tom61a
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by tom61a »

There's an Mac OS X port as well, so the ASM stuff has been taken care of too.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

The ASM is gone. I downloaded the modified Linux source from icculus.org, and it looks much more portable than the original. Of course, now it's difficult-to-port Linux instead of difficult-to-port DOS code... Certainly not as easy to port as Doom was.
reaper2k2
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by reaper2k2 »

I read there using sdl video if so it should run that part with minmal changes so its the other parts that need to be changed i dont like linux at all
http://homebrew.dcemulation.com/dcgames/ *homebrew webbrowser games *

http://r2k2gate.topcities.com *dev site and my releases*
Im' a Commodorian are you?
Speeddemon
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Speeddemon »

thats GREAT news!! Imagine JRott coming in soon :D.....3d models , that game was SOOOO VIOLENT back in the day i cant wait weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :mrgreen:
P|-|33r |\/|3 B147C|-|!!!
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Looking at it - the Linux port has SDL code mixed in with DOS code and engine code in the same file. Eww...
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

This would be the 2nd most wanted game on DC for me, First being Duke3D (which I know isn't possible, no source). Even if Duke3D did have a source to port, I bet it would be difficult to get some of the stuff working. Things like the Jump, Jetpack, Holoduke (which is useless in single player mode). Well actually I guess it wouldn't be any different then Quake huh?

Course I don't have ROTT anymore, but It be more then willing to find a used copy on E-bay.

EDIT

Here is ROTT and 3 other games NEW for under $20 even after shipping:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 1947614097

Terminal Velocity was pretty good too, no idea on that other game though. They are full versions. That seller has a ton of auctions with that same game.
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

would be nice to get ahold of the Linux port at least, then I could at least run in on my TV via Mandrake on the XBOX, not as good as running it off DC, but at least I'd be able to play it from my couch. :)
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

If I can work out a way of stripping all the Linux and DOS code out, and separating it into separate files, it shouldn't be that hard. The guys who ported it to Linux took the DOS code (which was part of the main program, not in separate modules like Doom/Quake) and spliced the Linux code directly into it, making it somewhat harder to port to a non-Unix system, or a system with a simple OS like KallistiOS.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Split screen was talked about for nxDoom...

ROTT is awesome. I would love a GBA release. The multiplayer in ROTT was a decade ahead of it's time, and it came out in like 1993 :P

11 player support with voice comm in 1993??! it is crazy!!!! The best part of the game was doing the "La De Da" thing OVER AND OVER til you got beat up. :D

A port with split screen would be great if it were possible, but I'd REALLY like to see someone make this one have online TCP/IP multiplayer. Like Doom and Doom 2 now has.

I can dream I guess.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Lartrak wrote:Split screen was talked about for nxDoom...

A port with split screen would be great if it were possible, but I'd REALLY like to see someone make this one have online TCP/IP multiplayer. Like Doom and Doom 2 now has.

I can dream I guess.
I tried to do split-screen in nxDoom - I got the game to start in multiplayer mode (DM or COOP) from the menus, and spawn 4 players. But I couldn't get it to render the viewpoint of the other 3 players, or accept controls from them. I know how to do it, but it's going to be done along with another load of changes that have a high chance of breaking stuff, like a new menu system and a custom maplist, and the ability to merge Doom, Doom 2, TNT and Plutonia into one huge WAD, like the other console versions but better. I got most of it working to a limited degree, but I scrapped it, partly because it was unstable, and partly because I forgot to back it up. Don't worry - I've still got the code from Beta 2 R2.

I don't think it'd be anywhere near as easy to do 4-player split screen in ROTT.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

I would say don't really worry about split screen ROTT til one of the PC ports gets it. Then steal from them ;)

Seriously though, ROTT is among the best multiplayer games PERIOD. As far as I know, it is the first FPS with CTF. Or in this case, CTT. And at 11 players, is the first online FPS I know of with more then 4 players.

http://www.classicgaming.com/rott/hell/

A good article on how amazing ROTT is.

Oh yeah, I'm making a disc of stuff (mostly homebrew) to display in the video game store I work at. Maybe sell a few more DCs, who knows. nxDoom is going on it. hehe, people are usually pretty impressed when consoles can do more then play games.