SMEG V0.84 ---- Help me....

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.

Did SMEG V0.84 work for you (selfboot)?

Total votes: 0
wdg8
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

SMEG V0.84 ---- Help me....

Post by wdg8 »

I'm trying to burn SMEG with mkisofs and cdrwin, but I can't seem to get it to work quite right. My Dreamcast locks-up at the licensed by Sega screen. There are 3 major things that might help me.

1. Do I use scrambled or unscrambled 1ST_READ.BIN?

2. Do I burn it Mode2/XA?

3. Do I use BINHACK.EXE?

Please understand that I have burned many Emulators with mkisofs, so I'm not some kind of clueless newbie. The only reason I'm asking these questions is because other emus don't have 2 1ST_READ.BIN files and the Selfboot Tutorial for SMEG says to burn it Mode1 without BINHACK (all the selfboot emus I've burned so far are Mode2/XA and either use BINHACK or specify in the readme not to use it).

If anybody out there can help me, Thanks.
Tails Prower
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Tails Prower »

I selfbooted DreamSNES with Suses Selfboot kit. It worked flawlessly.
http://www.geocities.com/cheese_monkies/
404NotFound wrote: hey mrinsulto or whatever your name is, for the last time
A DREAMCAST IS NOT A PLAYSTATION2!!!
wdg8
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by wdg8 »

Thanks, but I downloaded it and when I ran it I found out that it won't work with V0.84. And as for V0.80 it will only make non-selfboot. Anyway, if anybody out there has succesfully made a selfbooting SMEG, please reply.
discostu55555
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by discostu55555 »

i have... just use the scrammbled .bin with dssbs ( http://www.dcvision.com/files/dssbsfinal.zip )
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

1. Scrambled.
2. Yes, use mode2.
3. Ummm, i don't know. (i use nero to burn cds)

Smeg rules!! Good luck getting it to SB. :wink:

Zac
DeGamer1
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DeGamer1 »

wdg8 wrote: Thanks, but I downloaded it and when I ran it I found out that it won't work with V0.84. And as for V0.80 it will only make non-selfboot. Anyway, if anybody out there has succesfully made a selfbooting SMEG, please reply.
It does work with V0.84. Maybe you missed something. Make sure you have the following files:

IP.BIN
1ST_READ.BIN

As for your roms, check out this topic.

Suse's selfboot toolkit creates Diskjuggler images. Get Diskjuggler version 3.5
Go to where you extracted (unzipped) the toolkit.
The Data folder acts your CD root. Click on the bat file for the emualtor you wish to make an image of, in this case SMEG. Once it is open, it will create folders inside the "data"folder and tell you where to place each file necesary for the emulator that you picked. If you do not have a folder called data, create one and place it in the same folder where the toolkit is.
Once that is done, press any key to make your Diskjuggler image. When the image is made, open Diskjuggler, locate your image, then press start to burn it. Nothing else needs to be changed.

When the burning is finished, you will have a selfboot SMEG CD with roms.

Happy gaming :)

EDIT: Whoah! It took me a while to reply :o this would have been right under wdg8's post.
Oh, no. NO! You can't do this to me. Don't give me a playstation. NOOOOOOOOOO! I don't want a piece of crap. Take it back and burn it to heeelll!!! Die Sony Computer Entertainment with you PS (Piece of Sh?t) and your PS 2 (Piece of Sh?t?2)
wdg8
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by wdg8 »

I tried DSSBS and I noticed it didn't use BINHACK.EXE, so I tried mkisofs/cdrwin without using BINHACK and it worked.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond.