TransfusionDC

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
bloodite
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

TransfusionDC

Post by bloodite »

Hello. im sure noone here knows me, but I know a lot of you. Ive been going to this forum for quite awhile, and ive taken particular interest in the Dreamcast versions of Quake (all of them). I also am toying with the idea of making TCs for the various Dreamcast Quakes. Anyways, to get to the point is this, my first foray into this idea of porting TCs to Dreamcast is a biggie. Possibly the greatest TC ever made for Quake1. Transfusion is a replication of Blood1s multiplayer mode and all its features, with many more thrown in for fun. this mod was made for a custom exe, a mdified version of LordHavocs Darkplaces engine. Being a part of this TC myself(im a mapper, some of my levels are in this TC) and owning a DC, I thought it would be cool to give myself (and the Dreamcast community) a killer game to play on our favourite consoles. Ive only run into a single snag, if the mod is run using normal glquake exe, the menus dont turn up right, maybe cause its the exe, i dont know im not a coder. Our coder on the Transfusion team is willing to fix the menus, but cant compile the exe for DC. See my problem? What im humbly asking is that someone, ANYONE who can compile ANY of the DC Quake ports code please compile an exe for Transfusion. I would release the mod if not for the fact our code requires a map to be properly loaded before the bots can be used to full extent. Helping me in this respect wouldnt take very long (no coding to doi dont think, the codings already done) and would benefit the DC community greatly with an awesome game. Please dont Flame me or anything like that. im just a guy that wants to see an awesome game see the light of day on an awesome machine.
Try Transfusion, the most ambitious TC for Quake! http://www.planetblood.com/qblood
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I can compile my own port, and Reaper2k2 can compile his port. Neither port is mature enough for general release yet. Bero's ports are generally too buggy and the only person to ever compile Bero's ports is Bero himself. We have no source code to Titanium's port, but at the moment it works the best.

First question is: How much have you guys modified the engine, especially the graphics system?
bloodite
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

TransfusionDC

Post by bloodite »

BlackAura wrote:First question is: How much have you guys modified the engine, especially the graphics system?

the engine AFAIK, is greatly modified, LordHavoc is our engine coder, and has designed a custom version of his engine with more features. yet despite the heavy engine modification, the game was made back compatible nearly all the way, to the point everything except the menus (and the custom skies) work. Youd have to talk to LH to find out exacly what he did, but i can tell u of the new features hes desinged into the enigne for us:

-transparent textures This was cool, LH added the ability for a texture which had a certain colour, that colour on the texture would become transparent, like the blue texture in Halflife.

-shadows I dont think there were proper shadows in the normal DP, but im not sure.

-jpeg support I think LH put this into DP after he put it into the transfusion version, but im not sure on that either :?

mp3 support, This was supposed to be in there, but i dont think it made it into the final product.

Theres a few more, but none else i can think of right now. everything else in the engines the same as Darkplaces.

BTW, im very excited that you guys are attempting another port, ive burned beros soft port with Transfusion to test it, it works, but the menus do not. I think NXQuake will be the best. If u could, after u get the quake specific stuff done and working, possibly add little stuff like custom skies support and hardware filtering? ive obviously havent seen nxquake, but it sounds cool.

I hope ive been a help to you.
Try Transfusion, the most ambitious TC for Quake! http://www.planetblood.com/qblood
Cless
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by Cless »

This game looks wonderfull. I cant wait till its on DC if its possable. You make the levels right? Your very good at mapping. Have you worked with Quake 2 at all?
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Well, at the moment, nxQuake is pretty much just the same as WinQuake, maybe with a little less memory. I was planning to add a load more features later (many of them inspired by DarkPlaces, actually). I was going to rewrite the rendering system later on anyway, and that'd probably get a lot of it working. I'll download a copy of it later and have a look at it.
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss »

Well... I know for a fact qBlood doesnt work on QuakeDC. Even before the more engine spacific features were added it didnt work. It crashed while going through and meshing the models. When I replaced the models near the crash in the mesh order it still crashed anyway so I'm farly certian its not actually the models that were the problem.

I forget which member of the qBlood team I was in contact with at that time... :?

Now with BlackAura and nxQuake (or maybe Reaper2k2 and RADQuake) there is a good chance of a qBlood compatable engine being released.
My old Sig was broken. Enter the new Sig!
reaper2k2
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by reaper2k2 »

Seeing as ive never got into quake mods or quake very much before some one will have to test the port i put out to day then tell me what they think was the problem and ill try fix it improve it ....

ITS a very early version first release so its bound to have some major bugs some were seeing as ive only played it for a hour or to total only big problem i noticed with RADquake is random reboots or maybe there not that random i wanted to get it out for my birthday which is the 30TH of DEC happy birth day to me for tomorrow sydney time lol
http://homebrew.dcemulation.com/dcgames/ *homebrew webbrowser games *

http://r2k2gate.topcities.com *dev site and my releases*
Im' a Commodorian are you?
bloodite
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

TransfusionDC

Post by bloodite »

Ive never tried the game with Titaniums's port, just Beros soft port. It seems to work on that. Qblood (now known as Transfusion) has greatly matured, but it still possibly might not work on QuakeDC. Ill try it on RADQuake today and Ill also try it on nxQuake when I find it. BTW Happy B-day Reaper! I think what u guys are doing for the community is awesome. I just wish I could do more. Im planning on making Total Conversions for these ports, a few I have in mind are:

Friday the 13th: Return to Camp Blood- My sisters boyfriend (who is really cool, hes got his own wicked band) suggested this since hes a real horror buff (kinda like me) I myself like the idea of playing Jason Voorhees, trudging through a 3d recreation of Camp Crystal Lake, slaughtering campers and councellours alike. in my game however, a new owner of the camp has bought the aging camp, and once again the menacing masked man returns! This time hes really pissed, and decideds not only is he going to kill the camps new residents, but hes going to the nearby town to finish off the owner as well! youll lead Jason on his gory quest through an entire recreated camp, an rv park, and the town.

Terminator: Bleak Future- Seeing the new Terminator game made me want to make a tc based on Terminator so ppl on DC can enjoy struggling to survive in a post apocalyptic future.

A 3d Final Fight like beat-em-up - this obviously has no real title, but I plan on making a decent one. The roadmap for this one will have you beating the crap out of punks in various locales, including a harbourfront, on a bus, in a Central Park like park, and alleys, subways, over rooftops and other cityscapes.

Much of the sketches of levels for the Jason game are already done, but the models snd such arent there.
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss »

The final fight style one would probibly be the easiest to do start to finish. Dreamcast doesnt really have much in that department of games to start with... and few quake mods have even attempted it.

Its also the only one that doesnt touch on other peoples copyrights so theres less chance of a foxing ;)

Was you thinking of the final fight style one being first person, 2d (sidescrolling with no depth movement) 2.5D (sidescrolling with depth movement), Third person (over the shoulder) or ??

The other ideas sound good... but for safety's sake I'd try to rip out the copyrighted elements if it was me. Terminator doesnt have to be called terminator for that story to work. Post apocaliptic people running from a killer robot? Simple concept that anyone can understand ;)

The Friday the 13ths one would be a bit harder to pull apart and still keep it interesting. But I think it could be done with effort. You'd just have to contruct your own story around it with new names and places. It wouldnt have the deep background that Jason has... but it could still work.
My old Sig was broken. Enter the new Sig!
bloodite
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by bloodite »

The Final Fight like game will be third person over-the-shoulder gameplay. And your right about there being few DC games like this, the only ones that come to mind are Fighting Force 2 (I liked the first better) Nightmare Creatures 2 and Zombie Revenge (the gameplay type is similar) That's why I decided to make it, for the fact that the DC dosent have a lot of these games. All of these mods (except Terminator maybe) are third-person. I for one, am sick of ppl making mods that are first-person. There are too many. As for the names, Jason3d was the friday the 13ths real game name, I just said Friday the 13th so ppl would know what im talking about (as if they dont know :wink: ) Im changing the terminator one though, due to the new game and T3 movie coming out next summer will draw unwanted legal attention towards my TC.

The Final fight one will be crazy. I got sketches going of the many places. Indeed this game will be quite different than what DC owners are used to. this wont be a normal Final Fight clone. Im taking full advantage of the true 3d to make some stunning levels. One level will have u running throught apartments, breaking stuff and jumping from balcony to balcony, to get to the roof, when..... Im not going to say anything else:) Another has you dodging traffic on a busy intersection (kinda like Fighting force) The game has numerous QuakeC patches applied to it(cause I cant code worth beans, no biggie, since Ive found tons of patches that do whatever I may need, plus i intend on learning a little QuakeC)

The fighting game will have in game cutscenes 9thanks to a killer QuakeC patch ive found) and the voice work will be done by members of 13 Stitches, my sister's BF's band, as well as my step brother( don't worry these guys sound like thugs, dont' tell em I said that :wink:)

The Terminator game will probably be the last Im doing, as the Final Fight one
as well as the Jason one will be done first. Ive just thought of a cool name for the termintor clone: Future Resistance. I hope there isnt a game called that :lol:

Im making a killer story with the help of Dan, my sister's BF. The guy loves the movies, so he wants to help.As for the games story depth, u really cant get that deep with a guy thats tracking ppl down killing them.
Cless
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by Cless »

So maybe it just be but i'm noy understanding. Is this gonna be able to be ported or is it gonna take a special recompiling to get it runing?
bloodite
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by bloodite »

As it stands, Transfusion can run, just without some goodies

1. Since our code was desinged to allow a human player access to the server at any time regardless of the amount of bots playing, the maps have to be properly loaded through the menu, which dosent function correctly under glquake. Hence in order to play with bots, youd have to recompile the exe with the map menu information changed to reflect the new maps instead of ID's maps. Technically, u can still load the maps using the console, but our code wont allow bots to play that way.

2. the awesome skies we got wont show because they are custom skies, a feature not in regular quake.

3.Transparent textures LH made these so that we didnt have to make sprites of everything or fake the transparency, this isnt in normal quake.

4.limits stretched the map limits and such were extended to the maximum values the BSP format could handle. We didnt really make any use of this, as all the maps load fine in glquake.

5. model limits stretched some of our models are higher than 200 units, which makes certain levels, which have these models, not load in glquake.

thats about it. Ill post more when I remember them.
Cless
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by Cless »

So are you gonna work with someone like BlackAura or Reaper to get this working 100% playable?
reaper2k2
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by reaper2k2 »

you have to send one of us the modded quake source you used and i may try making a version that support what you want

so the whole source you used to make the exe as you put it has to be

given to me if you want me to try make it work on the dc

THE big word here is TRY

bloodite
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by bloodite »

Reaper, im thankful for your offer to port the engine itself, but it would be really taxing on the DC. Transfsuion uses an enhanced Darkplaces engine to run it, so typically you would be porting an engine even more taxing than Darkplaces. It may work, but itll be slow as hell. Since Transfusion works on normal glquake, just needs some additions. I believe that would be the best course of action IMO.

glQuake with these additions would be fine:

- fix menus to load the transfusion maps instead of IDs maps one of our coders is willing to do the code on this, he just cant compile the exe under DC. If nothing else is done THIS HAS TO BE DONE for Transfusion to work.

-model height limit raised

-Transparent color: make a certain colour render transparent in the game (this optional, I was intending on replacing the textures with fake ones.

-custom skies Makes you able to make skies from ordinary textures. The ones in Transfusion don't move.

bsp limits raised to maximum this may not be nescessary.

That's all thats really needed, BTW, i think it would be better to use the 3d hardware for this since not only does it look better, itll help speed it up IMO.

If you need to talk to someone about the menus, Tim Hale our project coordinator and the coder whose fixing the menus might help. his email is timhale@planetblood.com

If u still want to try porting Transfusion Engine, u can find it here: http://blood.sourceforge.net/snapshots/ ... 021211.zip
Cless
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by Cless »

I cant wait to play this on DC I think the modding of the quake engine will be easier than the port but reaper mite just want a channel and port it.
reaper2k2
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by reaper2k2 »

[[[[[[]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]====================>

fix menus to load the transfusion maps instead of IDs maps one of our coders is willing to do the code on this, he just cant compile the exe under DC. If nothing else is done THIS HAS TO BE DONE for Transfusion to work.

get him to send me the code that need moding to the quake1.zip source that was put out by id software and ill compile it for you guys

just the source patch that will make these changes all give full credit to the coder

ITS a elf or a bin but the same thing

ill take a look at it but it be best if he sends me the files that have been edited to get the menus working etc ill compile release it for you to try or just to your team to test deal?

BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

reaper2k2 wrote:[[[[[[]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]====================>

fix menus to load the transfusion maps instead of IDs maps one of our coders is willing to do the code on this, he just cant compile the exe under DC. If nothing else is done THIS HAS TO BE DONE for Transfusion to work.

get him to send me the code that need moding to the quake1.zip source that was put out by id software and ill compile it for you guys
Actually, I was about to say the exact same thing. Is it just different map names (which I can code a workaround for - a custom maplist like Quake 2), or does it also start the levels in a different way?
bloodite
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by bloodite »

Im not sure about the map loading, Ive just observed the results in glquake, since Transfusion is a standalone game, it dosent use any ID files. So when I click on run server under multiplayer(which is the menu area in question), it shows our menus style, but the maps are labled as the ID ones, and trying to load any map goes to the console saying it couldnt load that particular ID map e.g. start bsp. Therefore, I believe its still fixated on IDs maps.

All I know is our code requires the maps to load through the menus. I dont even know if the bots will work even if the menus fixed cause Im not sure if anything else in the engine was changed, but its unlikely. Its probably best to look over the Transfusion Engine source to find this stuff out. most of the bot specific code was probably in the quakec.

Not to be a selfish prick or anything but I would REALLY like the 3d acceleration and the custom skies as well. software quake just dosent do this game any justice, and having the custom skies would mean saving me the trouble of going through 30+ maps fixing the skies.

Hmm, ive just remembered a small item, the single player option in glquake tries to load the single player maps, but since Transfusion is multiplay only with bots (like quake3), in DP its disabled with the text:" Transfusion is for multiplayer only".
That shoudnt be too hard to fix.

Again, im really glad u guys even looked at this post.

Tim hasnt worked with the code yet, but ill tell him that he can now.
ill give it to anyone willing to try a compatible port.
reaper2k2
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by reaper2k2 »

tell him when his done ill compile it and send it back reaperangel@yahoo.com

the highres version i did looks better then most PC versions its just slow lol