Is there any way of running saturn games on a dreamcast?

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
Ultima Wepon
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Ultima Wepon »

apart from throwing the DC away and buying a atrun of ccorse :?
The power of Ultima burns through his body, its eyes glow with the energy contained in its core.
After 2000 years of waiting, it has finally awaken, ready and prepared for the death of thousands...

The Ultima Wepon
Polymira
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Polymira »

sorry bro, but the answer is no.
--pSyCo
Tails Prower
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Tails Prower »

youd better go buy a saturn..
404NotFound wrote: hey mrinsulto or whatever your name is, for the last time
A DREAMCAST IS NOT A PLAYSTATION2!!!
DeGamer1
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DeGamer1 »

Ness Shady wrote: youd better go buy a saturn..
Yeah they are very cheap now. Not to mention a huge load of great games that are on the system. Your best bet would be Ebay.
Oh, no. NO! You can't do this to me. Don't give me a playstation. NOOOOOOOOOO! I don't want a piece of crap. Take it back and burn it to heeelll!!! Die Sony Computer Entertainment with you PS (Piece of Sh?t) and your PS 2 (Piece of Sh?t?2)
biohazard
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by biohazard »

Ultima Wepon wrote: apart from throwing the DC away and buying a atrun of ccorse :?
Yes, well it looks like you better go buy a "atrun" then. ;)
DukeofURL
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DukeofURL »

Actually there is, you have to buy a copy of NiGHTS revolution, then put it in and "bam" its wiped, then you can put a downloaded saturn game on it and it will load on the DC by swapping with the Utopia boot disc. :)

-what a strange message you posted
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Firstly, to DukeOfURL: What are you talking about?

Secondly, weren't there some saturn EMUs around somewhere for the DC? The DC cound probably run Saturn code natively (same CPU family) so an emu wouldn;t have to do much, would it?
DukeofURL
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DukeofURL »

I was making a reference to a very crazy post that ultimawepon posted regarding being able to wipe gdroms clean, then burn to it and do a trick with the utopia boot disc that would let you run it. -see -gd cdrom drive-(topic name) for the actual post.

Also, this has come up before about Saturn emus on DC and how it might be easy. Apparently it is not. Even though they are the same cpu family, that does not mean that it can run natively on the DC. Also concerning that the saturn had multiple processors, I think it would be a bit much for the DC to handle.
MidnightObsidian
Symbiotic Anomaly
Symbiotic Anomaly

Post by MidnightObsidian »

I think that a Saturn Emulator would be a pretty hard thing to do, not because of the different CPU (I don't know for sure, but I doubt that being in the same family makes for the same high-level instructions), but because there were two of them. This was a hell of an obstacle for developers (one of the main reasons that the Saturn didn't have too many games made for it before it "died"), because there had to be a LOT of extra coding put in to deal with the synchronous multiple processing.

Now, if there was a way to get around this, I would guess that it wouldn't be TOO big of a deal to emulate it. For one, I'd LOVE to see a Saturn emulator. Nights is one of the best games ever, as far as I'm concerned.

BTW, what's this about Night's Revolution? Was there a Nights for the Dreamcast?? >= )???
I'm not Clessoulis. Seriously.
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

One of the dreamcast technical sites states:
"Software written for the previous generations of the SH series processors,
which are the SH-1, SH-2 and the SH-3, will be able to run on the SH-4."

See URL http://www.segatech.com/technical/cpu/index.html and look under the "SH-4 (SH7750-type) Block Diagram" heading.

I know this information insn't really very useful as having our DC's SH-4 emulate only one of the SH-2s in the Saturn isn't really going to be helpful. It's still interesting to read though.[/i]
MidnightObsidian
Symbiotic Anomaly
Symbiotic Anomaly

Unfortunately, there's more to emulation than just the core CPU(s).

...Unfortunately.

(Thanks for the URL, 16-Bit Miles)
NiGHTSFTP
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by NiGHTSFTP »

Hmm, AFAIK... many programmers said "f?ck this, im gonna just use one f?cking processor"

So many games only require the Master SH2 to run, and fewer others use the Slave SH2.

So if someone could find a way to just hand off the instructions for the master SH2, there would not be any big deal. And that would lead to possibly emulating the 2nd SH2 partially.

Then there's handing off all the other instructions, video, audio :roll:

When the f?ck is satourne gonna go open source god dammit!
Signatures images may be no greater than cock pixels high by dick pixels wide in dimension and balls kilobytes in filesize. Multiple images may be wang, but in total they may not exceed the johnson specifications.
MidnightObsidian
Symbiotic Anomaly
Symbiotic Anomaly

Do most consoles really go open-source after a while, or were you just being sarchastic? I was under the impression that most emulators used software to leech the instruction sets and stuff, but I'd love to find out that I'm wrong.

And if so, where can I get Virtual Boy codes?
NiGHTSFTP
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by NiGHTSFTP »

actually, satourne is a Saturn Emulator.. not teh saturn, no sarcasm :D
Signatures images may be no greater than cock pixels high by dick pixels wide in dimension and balls kilobytes in filesize. Multiple images may be wang, but in total they may not exceed the johnson specifications.
MidnightObsidian
Symbiotic Anomaly
Symbiotic Anomaly

Oh... heh... ::hits self in head with large mallet::

I've never heard of Satourne before so I figured that you had just misspelled Saturn or hit the wrong keys.

Sometimes I swear I should just be put to sleep like a dog.