Gypplay quality?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
sketch7
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Gypplay quality?

Post by sketch7 »

I was just wondering if Gypplay displays videos fullscreen and how good the quality is.
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

It's alright...

Post by fatheadpi »

When I put my first GyPlay disc together, it had probably about 50 - 60 percent speed of the movie, the picture quality is about the same as watching the movie in full screen on your computer. Of course, I later found out (and this is me recollectin' what gypsy said) that you should try to do about 320x240 with a 900k bitrate. Anybody know if cbr files play better than vbr files?

Ooh also there used to be this file setup for tmpeg with " optimized " video settings for dc, I'll see if I can find it later on today. Basically, off the top of my head, do an mpeg1 stream, 320x240, 900k bitrate, mpeg audio layer two, 224 kbps.

Hope that helps.
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
TheBouncer
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by TheBouncer »

I used it for the first time a few days ago & I was pretty impressed. I chucked a few music videos on the cd and it was pretty cool to see them run on the DC.
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

What settins did you use to get them to play fine? Also, you may want to consider that, being from london ,as i stereotypically assume all englanders are (insert flame i can already feel here), the files you were playing were probably 25 fps pal, not 29.97 fps ntsc. I really don't know and i'm not tryin to be an ass, but just somethin to consider.

Somethin i am going to try is to put part of cheech and chong nice dreams into an mpeg 1 format at 320x240 900 and 23.976 fps (god bless the international cinema rate of 24 fps), so i'll let you know what happens, gettin everything ready for a great big gyplay test disc. :roll:
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
TheBouncer
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by TheBouncer »

I converted all music videos to VCD format because the plan was to make VCDs to play on a DVD player, so yes they are 25fps PAL.
TheBouncer
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by TheBouncer »

Here are the settings i used when I converted original music videos

video: CBR 1150kbps 352x288 25fps PAL

audio: Layer-2 44100hz 128kbps

The video quality is a bit blocky so I may play around a bit more, although the frame rate is pretty consistent. The audio quality is pretty damn good though so I'll continue to use those settings.
Jelly_Warrior
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Jelly_Warrior »

The easiest way to make a video CD is to use Nero 5.5. Just tell it that you want to create a video CD and specify what system to use (PAL/NTSC).

Then all you gotta do is drag your files into the "video track" section of the window (it takes standard AVI and Quicktime format files) and Nero will then automaticly convert them to VCD format (in your chosen TV system).

It even has tools to create simple menu screens!

I've made 2 video CD's that work this way.
ultradude
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by ultradude »

Jelly Warrior:

that works..but u have to burn another CD with GypPlay files in it..that akes u waste a CD. Oh..and i remember useing nero for doing a VCD before..and the video was only playble in Xing MPEG Player. Strange, aint it?
TheBouncer
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by TheBouncer »

Besides, with TMPGENC you have more settings to play around with so it is possible to change audio & video quality. Easy CD 5 also creates VCDs although I have yet to try it.
It would be great if Gyplay could play files from other CDs because some of my VCDs are so full that it would be impossible to burn Gyplay on there also. Anyone have any ideas if Gyplay will have this option anytime in the future?
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Still haven't put together a working gyplay disc, currently 0-2, anybody have this problem: When creating a disc with self-boot buddy, it locks up, gives what looks like an underrun error? THis is wierd cus it only effects gyplay, nesterdc and dreamsnes all work fine. Haven't had buffer underrun errors since back when i still used windows blow ME and also sony cdrs (tdk, memorex = good). I'm using version 3.2, dunno if theres a new version out what with so many programs updating tho the files for dreamsnes are still the same.

Also whenever I try to burn a large file (like a that 70's show episode) the program ALWAYS screws up. Next disc probably just cut out to a piece or two of an episode i recorded.

and finally, is there a pad disc option for cd record? I've been learning to use the program from a non-gui command prompt approach, kinda curious if that option was in there.
Thanks for the settings bouncer, i got an idea i'm gonna try with those settings.

Well, wish me luck ,if it works, i'll have a post up tonight aboot how it went.
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

GYPPLAY NTSC TEST ARRAY ONE

Post by fatheadpi »

Figured out the bug i was running into when burning gyplay discs, you need to use the ip.bin file found in the ini toolkit for self boot buddy, or else things don't work, so now i'm 1-4.

For the files I had on:

ASF: FAILED
DCVCD (1.00 mbit, 352x240, 29.97 fps, IBBP) - PASSED
VBR VCD TESTS
480x480 AND 480x360: played, but overall FAILED
MUSIC VIDEOS (640x480 3.xx mbit): played, but overall FAILED
TESTS TO COMPARE EFFECTS OF I-FRAMES ONLY AND CBR VS VBR
CBR GOOD VBR ALRIGHT
I-FRAMES ONLY BAD, IBBP GOOD

FINDINGS: 1.00mbit HAD BETTER QUALITY THAN FILES ENCODED AT ~850 TO 950 kbit, BUT PLAYBACK WAS SLIGHTLY JERKY. FILES ENCODED IN IBBP MODE SLIGHTLY OUTPERFORMED FILES IN VBR AND FILES IN I FRAME ONLY MODES CONSISTENTLY. FILES ENCODED ANT ANYTHING HIGHER THAN 352x240 HAD SEVERELY HAMPERED PERFORMANCE, AND FILES WITH BITRATES MODIFIED TO CURRENT TARGET RANGES BUT POSSESING HIGHER BITRATES LOOKED LIKE CRAP. BLOCKING EFFECTS OCCURED MORE OFTEN IN VBR FILES THAN CBR FILES.

BEST PERFORMING FILE: DCVCD_TEST.MPG
ENCODED AT PARAMETERS SPECIFIED ABOVE FOR DCVCD
PLAYBACK SPEED: ~95-99% OF ORIGINAL
PLAYBACK QUALITY: BETTER THAN OTHER FILES, BUT STILL BLOCKY
AUDIO: WORKED, BUT AN AUDIOPHILE WOULD BITCH.

CLOSING THOUGHTS: I was going over some of the settings, and noticed that the DCVCD_TEST.MPG files was recorded at 352X240. This was a mistake, I should have done 320x240, the ntsc vcd standard. Pal users should stick to 352x288, although bouncer may find something better. I think the 320x240 will look niticibly faster after watching a file on an old disc that i believe was recorded somewhere around that resolution. The general quality of the videos is a mid to high level playstaion video (the better ones looked like the video off of tony hawk one for the playstation). The best video in places looked like a DC softdec video, ie Tony Hawk one for the DC, but in other places was little more than colored tiles, mainly in a commercial section for the simpsons. Note that for some reason I find animated things require higher bitrates.

NEXT TEST: I plan to do a little more thorough comparing in the 900kbit-1.35mbit region, also try out a that 70's show episode, and a few comparisons of 352x240 vs 320x240, also may unplay my vga box and go back to a normal dc a/v cable, have a theory about distorted resolutions. Pretty well done with my findings on the IBBP and VBR stuff tho, going with IBBP noticably reduces filesize countering for the loss of vbr, and helps boost performance.

Pretty cool huh? Hey bouncer, what say you and me set down an official guide to gyplay, do somethin nice for the site eh? Work out good what with you being in London and all. Lemme know what you think.
TheBouncer
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by TheBouncer »

Not a bad idea. I'm gonna give your DCVCD settings a try because I have a 60hz TV anyway. I just stuck to PAL settings because many older tvs over here only have 50hz.
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Alright, good luck with them. I'll do a new disc before break ends, methinks.

Now I'm runnin' into a bug where so long as I'm burning gyplay with self boot buddy and it's the first disc i've burned since the computer's been on, it'll go through, but the rest of the time, it locks up with another one of these goddamn blue screen errors. Am able to restart machine properly, and can bypass by burning a disc, restarting and burning another, but it's just a biatch of a thing to worry about. Note that I will spell it biatch from now on since every time i type B*I***C*H it comes out silly goose. Pretty gay. Wonder what that'll come out to.

Also, would appreciate anyone runnin windows xp to join in, preferably professional edition since i have a copy comin my way, want to make sure all dc software i use to self boot works under windows xp, had no luck with 2000 terminal at school.

See ya later everyone.
TheBouncer
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by TheBouncer »

I've been using Lilmuckers Selfboot Toolkit v: 0.1.3 - DISC JUGGLER EDITION to burn my DC discs & haven't had any problems yet.
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

I'll have to look into that package, but do they have a NERO alternative? I really really really hate disc juggler, and make it a point to rarely use images since i've never had good luck with them.

Other than that, been busy recording my cds onto my computer, got an mp3 cd player for x-mas, so puttin a road mix from hell album together. Just might do a second test disc tonight, if I pop a few nodoz or some ephedrine, and if my machine stops messin with me when i try to multitask and rip a cd at 16x at the same time.

Have you tried out the dcvcd settings yet? And I think we'll shorten the name to DVCD or may DCB, somethin 4 letters or less.

Lemme know what yous find out, I hope to do one more good test before break ends, but got hectic schedule ahead of self, scored big time at x-mas altough got nothing for dc.

You wouldn't happen to have a sega saturn would you? I'm looking to buy parts like a memory card for mine, may get one of those ultimate combo cards. I'd like to score either the vcd saturn (supposed to be able to playback vcd's with 100% quality) and a 3d controller or the upgrade kit, the vcd kit for dc ( one of em allegedly plays svcds, which would be hellatits) and the 3d controller.

Since I have a 30 dollar gift card i'm gonna see if I can't score me some dc goodies at musicland.com, also have a 20 dollar gift certificate.

Good luck and happy trails,

Mike
TheBouncer
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by TheBouncer »

There is a program included in the package that converts DJ images to Nero's format.

I haven't had time to do a test disc yet, but when I do I'll post the results here.

I do have a Sega Saturn. Where can I find the VCD player for that?
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

It wasn't an upgrade, it was a white jap sega saturn that had a video cd board built into it (DOH!). You wouldn't be lookin to sell your machine or anyparts would you? It's damn near impossible to find parts here in the us.

Well gotta go, happy new year.

See ya,

Fathead
TheBouncer
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by TheBouncer »

Nah, I sometimes still use it
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Well some bad news. Today the cpu on my machine burned up, or broke or something, goddamn anthalons. Gonna try and just get the repair money from the warranty co. and about 200 bucks and drop in a p4 processor with a tricked out cooling system, but i'll be busy backing up old data and may wait a lil bit for my copy of xp, so no gyplay disc unless i test out my mom's pc with the stuff, probably unlikely to happen tho, since i don't wanna break her hp. We'll see what happens, until then, I officially place bouncer in charge of everything here. All bow to bouncer. Good luck to all, hope to be back in a few days.

See ya.
Hatecrime69
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Hatecrime69 »

for the saturn it was both, the white saturn and various compines made vcd add in cards for existing saturns