Which homebrew DC MP3 player is the best? I burned trash!!!

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
nakamichi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Which homebrew DC MP3 player is the best? I burned trash!!!

Post by nakamichi »

I'm looking for a decent MP3 player for Dreamcast which has high-quality sound(like the DreamSNES MP3 player or better),plays a wide range of encoded MP3s from 56kbps/22kHz/Mono(low-quality) to 256kbps44kHz/Stereo(high-quality),
that doesn't have bugs/errors and saves your DC's laser from overuse.

I went to DCHomebrew and downloaded DCMP3,which I heard was the best MP3 player and noted as a must-download.
But when I tried it,I found out it was one of the worst MP3 players I ever had! Pure junk! You wanna know why? Here's why:

The sound quality is poor(the DreamSNES MP3 player has way better sound).This player has very low dynamics(weak bass and muffled highs).

Most of my MP3s play for about 1:07-1:20 and then stop! No matter the size or quality,they stop playing! This is no good.

Low-quality MP3's 22kHz/56kbps/Mono,44kHz/64kbps/Stereo play at insanely high speeds and tend to freeze the Dreamcast.

After listening to about 8 MP3's,the player doesn't want to load any MP3 file! You have to RESCAN the CD in order to activate it again! No automatic memory flushing.This sux.

No loading MP3s to RAM,so you can repeat a song as long as you wish without accessing the CD.DreamSNES has 2MB! of buffer,that rulez :)

No artist/Track Name displayed.You only get a *~1 DOS filename displayed and nothing more.Blah!

No Previous/Next/Repeat/Shuffle,NO F.F./REW. feature! This sux.

Oh,and it doesn't even load the 14-minute trance MP3 file from DramSNES 0.9.8.!

There's a hidden secret "app" that does absolutely nothing!

So far,this program is trash,because more than half of my MP3s stop at about 1 minute or so playing.This is inexcusable.

So,I would like you to be honest and recommend me the best DC homebrew MP3 player(besides DreamSNES) that doesn't have these flaws and plays MP3s TO THE END with better sound quality.
Where to get a NERO IMAGE of it?

Playlists,eye-candy graphics,who needs that? I want just a quality MP3 player.

When is that good ol' Llama-flavored WINAMP going to be ported to DC? It rules,man!
WINAMP...winamp,it REALLY whips the llama's ASS! Meeeh! :)
It plays MP3s,MIDIs,MODs,WAVs,AIFFs,CDDA,MP2s,WMA,and everything else without plugins.But with plugins it can play every audio/video format possible.
Yes,imagine playing even SPCs,NSFs,YGMs,GBSs,SFDs,WMVs,MPEG,VCDs,DiVX,XA,ADX,...even DVDs and every picture format possible.
That really whips ass...the new WinAMP 3.0.
Mmmm...is it open-source yet???
I want a port...to DC!
Cless
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by Cless »

DC mp3 is the best one.
<Offical DNR & Reaper2k2 Fan> <Blindly waiting for a new OswanDC release>
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Cless wrote:DC mp3 is the best one.
DCMP3 is the worst one - it has no support for disc-swapping, no VBR support and hangs on songs over 10MB.

The ultimate MP3 app is To11 - it outputs all the file selection information to your VMU, getting rid of the need to turn on your telly. It supports MP3Pro files, which offer great compression and quality. Oh, and if you do turn on your telly you'll get a pretty visualisation to stare at.

If you don't have a VMU, then DreamMP3 is your next best choice. The sound isn't as good, but it supports disc-swapping. A new version is to come out shortly that will support various different sound formats, including MODs and will hopefully fix the problem of a loq-quality sound.

IF you'd rather a OGG Vorbis player, one huge step up from MP3, then DCDivX will play them, but this means re-encoding your MP3s, which is a total bitch if you've got several hundred CDs full.

And WinAMP will never reach the Dreamcast because it's not Open-Source - and if it was, it wouldn't be of much use to us as it would be easier to write one optomized for the Dreamcast from scratch.

Oh, and this belongs in the Homebrew Apps Forum as it's not a game.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Cless
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by Cless »

I meant to say DreamMp3
<Offical DNR & Reaper2k2 Fan> <Blindly waiting for a new OswanDC release>
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure »

moved to homebrew apps.
How many more people do the Radical Islamic Subhuman Cockroaches have to kill before people realize they need to be taken out ?
FFXI Server: Gilgamesh
FFXIV Server: Figaro
Liberals click here !!!!
Moi
QuakeDev Respected
QuakeDev Respected

Guys you are wrong!

Post by Moi »

THe best one is not a MP3-Player.

IT's DCDIVX!

Why: 1.No loading time 2.Directionary Play 3. No compatibility problems!
Moi
QuakeDev Respected
QuakeDev Respected

DCDIVX!!

Post by Moi »

THe best one is not a MP3-Player.

IT's DCDIVX!

nakamichi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by nakamichi »

If I don't have a VMU(I only have a third-party 4x memory card),will I still be able to run To Eleven and see all the options & song info on the TV screen?

And does To Eleven support disc swapping?

If you say,the sound quality is very good,I should try it,but I don't have a VMU :(

So,can I still use it?
If it works with no VMU,where to d/l a NERO image of it?
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

nakamichi wrote:If I don't have a VMU(I only have a third-party 4x memory card),will I still be able to run To Eleven and see all the options & song info on the TV screen?

And does To Eleven support disc swapping?

If you say,the sound quality is very good,I should try it,but I don't have a VMU :(

So,can I still use it?
If it works with no VMU,where to d/l a NERO image of it?
It won't output anything like that to the TV, just a visulisation.

It does support disc-swapping

The sound quality is the best, as is it's features - but it's pointless without a VMU.

So no, you can't still use it. DreamMP3 is your best bet - whilst having inferiot sound to To11 it supports just about everything else that it does. A new release will be out soon that may fix the slightly dodgy sound. But the current release is pretty good too.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Kiley
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Kiley »

To-11 is the best IMHO
Daniel Kiley is still "dreaming"
Captain Tokyo
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Re: Guys you are wrong!

Post by Captain Tokyo »

Moi wrote:THe best one is not a MP3-Player.

IT's DCDIVX!

Amen! ;)

I have never had any problems with playing MP3's on DC-DivX player, whilst many of the DC MP3 players have had compatibility / sound quality problems.
It just depends what you want - A reliable high quality player, or something that has "extra features"...
Blaze MP3 player would probably be my second choice, but unfortunately it crashes a lot. :(
Last edited by Captain Tokyo on Thu Nov 28, 2002 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.