A BIG DC CRISES

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
zickfun
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

A BIG DC CRISES

Post by zickfun »

Yesterday, I was trying to play Virtua tennis but it didn't boot, so i used toothpaste. After using it, the lens stuffed up and wouldn't read anything.......i am so screwed.........it doesnt play dreamsnes or anything but does boot up utopia once or twice...

how do you clean the lens ?
qatmix
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by qatmix »

erm, why did you use toothpaste?

Its not going to help anything using that on the Gd.

You have probably got it on the lense, you will need to buy a proper cleaner (around ?10), or you can try the white spirit on a cotton bud thang, but I really would opt for a proper cleaner.
zickfun
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by zickfun »

it works...toothpaste shaves off a thin layer of the cd, that u cant see (thats what i think, correct me if mesa is a wronga) or i think it smooths it out. its an abrasive. it cleans cd's so it hought itll work with gd-roms...pso
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

Lasers have diffraction Gratings on them (You'ld know that if you did physics in high school) The gratings have bout 500 lines per cm on them, a laser usally uses 3 of these. Get any little think larger than an nanometer and its screwed unless your really good at clening them, or use a proffesional product
farrell2k
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by farrell2k »

Don't use toothpaste. It's too sticky. Try baking soda(sodium bicarbonate.) It is a less destructive abrasive.
Sir Slash

Post by Sir Slash »

yeah useing toothpaste just baffles me... can't believe anyone would do that
WELCO
ME
TOT
HE
NEX
T
LEVEL

mariobro
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mariobro »

8-)

Toothpaste CAN work in a lot of cases. I'm amazed that no one has tried it.

It has to do with the abrasives used in its formula, not because it is a magic potion or anything,

But... if you use any kind of paste abrasive on a CD, you should remove EVERY single trace of paste left in it before you use it. If you use toothpaste, you should rinse the CD with water. This is perfectly OK. Then you must, of course, dry it.

Lighter Fluid (a.k.a Naphta, White Spirits, etc) Is one of the best cleaning solvents you'll ever find. I suggest you keep a bottle of Zippo Lighter Fluid and cotton swabs on hand. It works like magic on CDs. Isopropyl alcohol leaves residue, and industrial alcohol is VERY poisonous. Don't mess with that stuff.

There is a scientific principle involved... it's not some kind of "voodoo" crap. :)
"Until I finally made it, life was kinda hit or miss...
And I'd love to talk philosophy, but I gotta take a piss"
-David Lee Roth
Polymira
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Polymira »

Ok, when using toothpaste (or any thing else) rub from the inside of the cd to the outside...

I use toothpaste and tissue paper when cleaning cd's at times...

It leaves small scratches from the inside out and somehow can help scratched cd's... don't ask.. it works.

the Screen Savers also had a small segment on this a few weeks ago
--pSyCo
MidnightObsidian
Symbiotic Anomaly
Symbiotic Anomaly

Post by MidnightObsidian »

pSyCo wrote:the Screen Savers also had a small segment on this a few weeks ago
God, I miss TSS. I haven't gotten ZDTV (or TechTV, whatever) in almost two years now.

::shakes fist at Beaver Creek Telephone Cooperative::
I'm not Clessoulis. Seriously.