Network MP3 player?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
torne
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Network MP3 player?

Post by torne »

Are any of the MP3 players for the DC capable of playing Shoutcast/Icecast streams, or playing mp3 files accessed through http/ftp? I have a 'network jukebox' and it would be nice to use my DC as a front end.

If no player can do this right now, are there any projects which would like my help? =)

Torne
doragasu
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by doragasu »

There is a network version of To Eleven MP3 player with network support, but you need a BBA to use it. This version isn't capable of playing MP3 from CD's, so I haven't tested it yet (I have no BBA). You can download it from http://to-11.sourceforge.net/.
sonick
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by sonick »

wow, thast f'n cool! If only i had a BBA :P THat would be so awesome lol
ShadowofBob
ShadowOfBob
ShadowOfBob

Post by ShadowofBob »

I tired to get it to work, but I had truble browsing to find my Directory with MP3's. Maybe it works better if you are running linux since I was using WinXP. Another cool prog that actually fully supports browsing network is PCSXDC. I can load up PSX .bin's over my network and never have to burn a CD to test games.
torne
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by torne »

That sounds pretty cool and I'll try it once my BBA arrives (hopefully soon). What I was really after, however, is support for standard protocols a la Winamp - playing MP3s through HTTP. My jukebox is a web server using mod_mp3 on Apache, which is a funky module that streams mp3s/oggs to you (support for searching, browsing, autogenerating playlists from directories..etc). Using all of that would need, well, a whole web browser, so that's a bit much, but supporting download via HTTP would be a great start, and supporting HTTP shoutcast would let me listen to di.fm without booting my PC =)

I'd be interested in helping to develop this kind of functionality, even. I haven't programmed much on the DC yet but am capable on other platforms. If To Eleven can get to the point where it can support HTTP, then I can certainly hack mod_mp3 in order to produce output suited for parsing by it, thus alleviating the need to understand HTML. That would rock.

I'll have to email the author and ask him about it. =)

Torne
gnateye
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by gnateye »

bump!

im hoping for the same thing. any help i can get or give let me know

i would be nice to do without the bba, i bring my ddc with me when i travel and would love to listen to my netradio stream while i am in a hotel room across the country.

next level would be to incorperate visualizations ala winamp (soundjam on the mac) so it play pretty pictures while playing music 8)