FOF is coming today!

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
mmboy
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dance Mat

Post by mmboy »

What does your PS to DC controller converter look like Cryptic(or any1 else for that matter)? is it this one (has any1 sucssesfully used a dance mat w/ this one )?

(I bought it used and it doesnt have a name on it, and I'm going out to buy a dance mat to night 8) )

Last edited by mmboy on Wed Oct 16, 2002 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sig down :( gehy boomspeed... any1 wanna host it? where could i host it?
yodanut
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Re: FoF

Post by yodanut »

mmboy wrote:Damn i spent 3hrs dling the DJ version, and win i unzipped it the .cdi was corrupt, any1 else have this problem (got it from dcemulation.org)??
Same thing happened to me as well. The ZIP file itself was corrupt. It wouldn't decompress the DJ image completely. I tried repairing it in WinRAR, but it didn't work.

I'm downloading the DJ image from redfutura now. Hopefully I'll have better luck with that one.
Metroid Evolution
Helping evolve the Metroid series.
mmboy
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

fof

Post by mmboy »

damn yodanut, great minds DO think a like. I started to DL the Image for redfutura too :) hopefully this one WORKZ :o I'll let you know when mine finishes :P
Great One
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Great One »

yo, what will the final version include??
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Re: FoF

Post by ZacMc »

yodanut wrote: Same thing happened to me as well. The ZIP file itself was corrupt. It wouldn't decompress the DJ image completely. I tried repairing it in WinRAR, but it didn't work.

I'm downloading the DJ image from redfutura now. Hopefully I'll have better luck with that one.
I just downloaded the DJ image from DCHB and it extracted ok for me..
mmboy
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

FoF

Post by mmboy »

I couldn't get the FoF cdi to work on version 3.5 (the DL from futura actually works!) so i'm DLing 4.0 as we speak more info on this 2morrow :)
mmboy
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

fof

Post by mmboy »

I cant wait to try it... Looks so incredibly cool... *drool*... damn all 56k modems to the deepest pit of hell... can't wait 4 dance mat...
TheSimms
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by TheSimms »

Yeah, I'm also looking for a dance pad now that this game is out, and I see a lot of people are. I think it's time to get some suggestions for pads up here, so if anyone has any comments about pads they already own, that would be appriciated.

I've been looking at pads, and personaly don't want to spend the money for a hard one...The soft ones, however, probably need some modding becuase they slip or whatever on the floor. Also, most (if not all) low priced pads I've seen are PS1/2 pads, not DC.

So it would be cool if anyone who already owns a pad could tell us how well they work (espcially on the DC with a PS to DC convertor), how long you've had them, if they bunch up or slip and what you do to prevent this, etc...

Also, if anyone has any suggestions for PS to DC convertors, that would be great too.

I'll try to post some info sometime, and thanks to everyone who contributes...
Dan Potter
DC Developer
DC Developer

DDR Pads, FAQ, Swap CDs

Post by Dan Potter »

Hey all, this is Dan (CA guy). I wouldn't have used "Cryptic Allusion" as my login, but the one I wanted was taken. So I figure this is as good as any ;)

Anyhow, to get down to business... the DDR mat setup I'm using over here is a "CCL SmartJoy" PSX adapter attached to a used RedOctane Ignition Pad. The Ignition pads are pretty pricey, but you can probably look around and find one on eBay or something if it's too much. Not sure about the SmartJoy adapter, I got that from Roddy (music guy). With that thing set to the steering wheel mode (kinda weird, but it works), I get pretty reasonable results.

I've also setup a FAQ and a guide to creating Swap CDs. You can find it here:

http://www.cagames.com/

Dunno if it'll link-ize that or not, I'm still not used to these web BBs... (I'm from the days of dialup BBSes myself :))

Hope that helps!
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I downloaded the raw files from Redfutura, and they work fine for me (multisession disc booted with DemoMenu).

This game is very, very nice. It's pretty much professional level, graphics are cool, the music is very good, and it's good fun too. Except that it's missing a couple of features (like the editor), it looks like a finished commercial game. Great work, guys!

Shame that I'm useless at it right now. Better practice some more.
TheSimms
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by TheSimms »

:o wow, thanks for the disk swaping FAQ already! I didn't think you'd get something that long up by tonight.....

Man, i better get working on adjusting those GAP values...

I'll make sure to post if i find the perfect GAP value for a song if i find it

PS - From the song select menu, how do you get back to the main menu? Not in Disk Swap, but normal play....
Plautus
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Plautus »

First off, I would love to see people post adjusted step values (or step files) for their DDR songs, if not here than somewhere else (I have Club Mix & 2nd Mix for DC, and the soundtracks for 2nd and 3rd Mix. I'll be ripping and encoding tonight!).

Second, at the moment, I'm using "Dance Performance" pads by Topway made for the Dreamcast. If anyone is looking for pads right now, do not buy this particular pad. It is crap.

Third, if you're the crafty type (some soldering involved) and want to have an inexpensive but wicked-awesome pad, here are a couple of homemade designs, upon which I'm basing my own pad (which is almost finished).

http://tursi.yiffco.com/stuff/text/ddr/
http://www.angelfire.com/d20/ddrhomepad/

Mine is like the top one, with vinyl and strawboard rather than cardboard. I may yet get around to building a metal pad.
TheSimms
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by TheSimms »

setting up the swap disk was a real pain....I'm about to burn it, we'll see how it goes..or if it goes at all.......

UPDATE: texture.cpp error, must have forgotten something...

UPDATE2: compared my tree to the sample one and i'm missing nothing, maybe it's a burning problem...

UPDATE3: This is sucking, the game is good, I'm just trying to hard.....I'm going to bed.....
Last edited by TheSimms on Wed Oct 16, 2002 10:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DJ Geki
DC Developer
DC Developer

Greetings from your local DJ

Post by DJ Geki »

Hey everyone, this is DJ Geki. Many thanks for the complements guys! I truly appreciate it. The reason I'm writing this reply is because i saw a post somewhere that suggested that we use some popular electronic music in the game because the DJs probably wouldn't mind it being distributed for free. While I would love to do that, there is no way in hell it's going to happen. We would be distributing music that is copyrighted. Granted, the music I wrote (as well as the SFX and Voices) are copyrights by me and/or CAGames, but I gave the permission to distribute those songs. If we distroed FoF with, say, an edited down version of Darude's "Sandstorm", Darude would probably come to my apartment, and give me a nice solid kick in the knickers, then sue me for copyright infringment. Anyway, I'm sure we all knew that, which is why the CA Games team (myself included) decided to do away with any copyright infringment issues, and I just wrote all the music myself.

Now, also note that in the final release, those aren't going to be the only songs. We've got some really exciting sources which we still can't reveal (no matter how much I want to) that we could POSSIBLY get some tunes from. If we do, the game will be all that much more diverse. Let's all just hope for the best, mmkay?

And don't worry, I'll be adding some more of my signature tunes to the mix :)

Glad you all like Feet of Fury! Enjoy the beta! SHOP AT OUR CAFEPRESS STORE!!! The stuff rules...and it looks good too (plus almost everything is on sale now) :)

http://www.cafepress.com/allusion

DJGeki
DJ Geki
DC Developer
DC Developer

How to back out

Post by DJ Geki »

TheSimms wrote: <SNIP>
PS - From the song select menu, how do you get back to the main menu? Not in Disk Swap, but normal play....
To get back to the menu screen when in ANY mode of play, just press the "Start" button and the "B" button simultaneously. That should kick you out of whatever you are in, unless you are loading.

DJ Geki
yodanut
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by yodanut »

Fof is amazing! Can't wait for the final version! A few questions, though.

Is battle mode the only mode that will be available, or are you planning some sort of challenge or story mode?

The graphics look great so far, but are any changes/enhancements planned? I'm specifically referring to the background during the game itself. I like what it does now, but it gets a bit repetetive. Any chance of some sort of dynamic visualizer, or is that asking for too much?
Metroid Evolution
Helping evolve the Metroid series.
Dan Potter
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Dan Potter »

yodanut wrote:Fof is amazing! Can't wait for the final version! A few questions, though.
Thanks!
yodanut wrote:Is battle mode the only mode that will be available, or are you planning some sort of challenge or story mode?
Right now that's the only thing that's available. We at least wanted a story/arcade mode, and we were thinking potentially of a couple of different "endurance" modes. :) There's one other that I'm going to save as a surprise, because it would just be coolest that way. :) I will say it will be the strangest thing you've ever seen in a music game.
yodanut wrote:The graphics look great so far, but are any changes/enhancements planned? I'm specifically referring to the background during the game itself. I like what it does now, but it gets a bit repetetive. Any chance of some sort of dynamic visualizer, or is that asking for too much?
I actually had code in place for a bunch of different effects back there, but it turned out to be too slow in practice. :( There's a couple of different possibilities we're considering, it'll all just depend on how various things go (including improvements that happen to KOS to allow new effects).
DcSteve
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

hi

Post by DcSteve »

hey dan, does FOF support the official japan DC DDR Dance Pad!?
sjackal
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by sjackal »

would it be possible for people to submit their own music creations for review for inclusion in future releases?
(can we submit our own stuff?)
DJ Geki
DC Developer
DC Developer

Re: hi

Post by DJ Geki »

DcSteve wrote:hey dan, does FOF support the official japan DC DDR Dance Pad!?
I believe I can answer that!

Yes, it SHOULD. The dance pads, as someone so elequently put it earlier, are just glorified (and blown up) controllers. As long as the sensors are in the correct positions underneath the top layer of the pad, then all is well with the world. Now, that's not to say that the official DDR pads from Japan DON'T have anything stopping them from working, but you never know. I've actually never used the official DC pads from Japan...just the official ones for PSX. They work fine with an adapter. Can't imagine why they wouldn't work straight-up.
sjackal wrote:would it be possible for people to submit their own music creations for review for inclusion in future releases?
(can we submit our own stuff?)
As far as submissions go, the buck stops here (with me). If I can take any work off of Dan's shoulders, I'll do it (too bad I can't code...sorry Dan!!!). If you want to submit a song, get in touch with me via my email listed at the CA Games website ( http://www.cagames.com ), and we'll work something out.

Good luck with your submissions! I'm looking forward to hearing them!

And make sure to shop at our cafepress store!
http://www.cafepress.com/allusion

DJ Geki