btm4k's 'Console Case' log

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
Tiffanycarcrash
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Tiffanycarcrash »

HEY! where the F is this console case anyway!!!! Dont tell me you won the contest without pictures of this geek box..........WELL?????
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Read the whole topic, and you will see plenty of pictures.
Tiffanycarcrash
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Tiffanycarcrash »

Can you just tell me what page its on? Ive read through a lot of it and have never seen a pic.
btm4k
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by btm4k »

Tiffanycarcrash wrote:Can you just tell me what page its on? Ive read through a lot of it and have never seen a pic.
http://www.dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewto ... c&start=40 Page 3

I really want to work on this more, but I have to wait untill I can find some car trim that goes around car doors To put around the holes in the top of the case that the cartridges fit into. I might have to buy some black or chrome ones and paint them blue.
SlimDady
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by SlimDady »

R u old enough to get a job????

Someone send this kid some money.. I wana see it finished
SlimDady
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by SlimDady »

Ohh about that door edge shit..

If you live in canada u can get it from canadian tire..
btm4k
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by btm4k »

SlimDady wrote:R u old enough to get a job????

Someone send this kid some money.. I wana see it finished
Money isn't an issue for me now. It's just time and finding that blue door trim. And I don't live in Canada, so anyone know of an online store?
El Guapo
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by El Guapo »

I just read this thread tonight and am really interested. Seems like a fun idea. I do have a few questions/comments about your project...

1)Are you going to have the S/NES reset buttons accessable?
This seems especially important in regards to the the NES, since often times games do not read correctly at first. The NES usually involves a lot of continous resets or power kills to operate. This would be fairly inconvenient in your current attempted setup, since interupting the power to the NES w/out using the RESET button would toggle the power of all the consoles together plus the fan. Also, some older NES games with save functions request that you hold RESET and POWER together when powering off.

2)(Instead of using just one power switch to all consoles simultaneously..)don't you also think it would be kind of neat if you could nicely mount the original power switches of each console in the front of the tower, next to either the controller ports or the cartridge slots? I'm not sure how feasable this is, but I do think you do at least need separate on/off switches for each console.

3)How difficult was it to firmly mount the SNES and N64 cartridge contacts in the front/top of your tower (without butchering its looks) to withstand the force of cartridge insertion...sometimes you have to crank down pretty hard to get the games into these consoles? Have you got any pics of the cartridge slots/contacts in your case?

I'm curious because I figure I'm probaly going to end up *attempting* something similar with every old console that I have, and it always helps to talk to someone who has tried it before.

Good luck.
SonOfMog
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by SonOfMog »

I'm sorry for bringing this topic up again but I was wondering if This is the kind of trim you were looking for. If that would work they also have it inchrome
"It is much more comfortable to be mad and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts."
- G. B. Burgin
btm4k
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by btm4k »

SonOfMog wrote:I'm sorry for bringing this topic up again but I was wondering if This is the kind of trim you were looking for. If that would work they also have it inchrome
Sorry for bringing this topic up? Why?

I think that is the same type of trim, but I've already found some black trim :(. I'd prefer blue but I guess black will have to work. Thanks for the link, though. Thats a cool site!
SonOfMog
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by SonOfMog »

No problem, You could paint it blue. I'm not sure if you need special paint though, still researching that. I'm going to a bunch of High performance car boards trying to find more info.
"It is much more comfortable to be mad and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts."
- G. B. Burgin
btm4k
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by btm4k »

I painted the case switch blue, but the paint is peeling/chipping off. I think special paint is needed.
ness1469
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by ness1469 »

An NES fits perfectly on most case panels, with little hassle. If you cut a hole in the side, it will mount so that when you open it, it pops out to the side. I pulled this off the other day, and it works pretty good.
MonkeyNut
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by MonkeyNut »

Check out http://gideontech.com/guides/psx_mod/

It might give people some ideas on how to do this another way, and also... check the rest of the site out for case mod ideas! You could have one funky system there matey!

Regards - MonkeyNut
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

How much more time do u think u need?
:headbang: Dreamcast :headbang:
btm4k
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by btm4k »

Warmachine wrote:How much more time do u think u need?
Heh, I didnt think people cared about this anymore. Everytime I look at the case (i.e. now), I think how bulky it is. I understand thats it too late to change, but still. *sigh*

Oh yeah, for the time being, the project is on *HOLD* (again). I need more time and supplies. These forums are too addictive!
Juggalo_Jay
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Juggalo_Jay »

I was thinking of making a case like this.... putting a Dreamcast, a megadrive (genesis) and an N64... if youre still looking for ideas, I found out you can use ordinary PS/2 extension cords for Genesis extension cords (NOT the playstation 2 but the thingy on an average, old type mouse.... kinda looks like a male/female VGA plug but with fewer pins) as they fit PERFECTLY.... maybe you had already figured that out but, just in case.... also, i thought maybe it would be a good idea to not cut holes in your case for the dreamcast (too late?), but to maybe just make a drawer for it, with the controller ports on the front (DUH!) and a handle and then when you need to change a CD, you just pull it out, pop in a disc and push it back in... that way you could also possibly make the Lid closing sensor switch thingy work... with a little tweaking..... (if you do this, dont forget to make the cables in the back of the DC long enough for you to be able to slide it out)
Cheese?
ness1469
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by ness1469 »

A drawer for the DC is a good idea, but the problem with that is that even with some shaved off it it, it barely fits in 5 1/2 drive bay. If you made a drawer system, it would take up AT LEAST 3 5 1/2 bays, one bay for the drawer portion, and 2 for the DC. It would probably still be a rough fit with just 3.
Chaniyth
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Chaniyth »

Isn't this like a ghetto version of Geek Box?
All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you.
sega-wont-die
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by sega-wont-die »

hey any new progress????????????
HOOKED ON FONIX REELY WURKED FUR ME!!!!!!!