Painting the dreamcast.....really worth the trouble?

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
hehehaha
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Painting the dreamcast.....really worth the trouble?

Post by hehehaha »

I was thinking about painting mines for fun, thought it'd be kinda kool and unique, and maybe get a few extra dollars just b/c of the looks if i do sell it. But after reading the instructions from the site on how to paint it, it looks like a big hassle, is it really worth the trouble? You gotta buy like a few diff kinds of pant, and paint a few layers on it. Looks like a week's work.

offtopic question about the VMU LED light-do u need a new battery for it to light up or does it get the power from the dreamcast console? ANy problems saving or showing the pic on the VMU?
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

About the length of time to paint a dreamcast, it should take no more than 48 hours, should you decide to clear coat the paint. If you don't coat it then you should be able to have it done within 24 hours or so.
Krylon (I think that's the spelling) is most recommended, however any spray on plastics paint should work.... I even got away with using some blue polycarbonate stuff on one of my DCs.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

any mod to make a dreamcast nicer is worth it, be carefull though.
CupNoodle
Jim Dandy!

Post by CupNoodle »

Im just gonna buy a clear blue case, i already did some light mods, blue power light, orange modem light...its cool, but with the clear blue shell itll rule.
Sultan of Saturn
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by Sultan of Saturn »

Although I have never tried it out, I would probably think that it is not a good idea. My guess is that the paint would probably be more prone to attracting dust as well as holding heat. I could be dead wrong, but it is your call. If it works, more power to you.
Formerly Known As "Chalavet".....
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Id be less likely to buy a dreamcast that someone painted to be honest. Unless maybe someone from Sega had done it. I don't think it will raise the value of it any.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
hehehaha
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by hehehaha »

i think if u sold a clear colored dreamcast on ebay, more ppl would wanna get it since its unique and not that many people have it compared to the original one.. im curious, where can u get those CLEAR cases? those DO look kinda cool, gives the dc more characteristics.. and is it a hassle to change the case?
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

Its as easy as disasembling the whole DC, and reassembling it in the different case. Its not hard to do at all.
MarHel2
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by MarHel2 »

on ebay.de someone recently sold a DC with KoF99 design. Black paint and the cover picture on the GD-ROM lid. Didn't look too professional to me.

Was I being stoopid not to get it for 70 ? (ca. same in $). From the picture it looked like self made, and I didn't find anything on google about a limited Kof99 DC....

Instead, I bought a Jap. DC w/ Lightgun, THOTD2, VMU and pad for less money....
-Azathoth-
Jounin Shinobi
Jounin Shinobi

Post by -Azathoth- »

You got a good deal.