converting VMU Savegames (US to Europe)

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
ZeR01killah
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ZeR01killah »

I have a problem, but I dont expecting a whole solution form someone,
just some hints, where to start and what's important for this specific problem.

I have shenmue as a US version and shenmue2 as an Europe version.
The problem is, the savegame from the US version is not compatible with
shenmue2.
Is there a possibility to "hack" somehow the vmu-savegame, so that i can
play shenmue2 with my old gamestates ?

thx for answers of any kind ;)
Sanchez
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Sanchez »

It would all depend on the format of savegames that ShenMue 2 is looking for. Is it supposed to play v1 saves at all or only european or is this just some hack you're looking to do.

In the end, you need a valid Shenmue save that works (or can be imported, etc.) to compare against. You might then be able to simply hex edit the difference in the files.

Just make sure to create a backup of your good save so you don't corrupt anything......
ZeR01killah
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by ZeR01killah »

Yeah, you're right, I got the same idea while i was on the way from work.
Just searching for a header that defines the game, and keep on comparing the two savegames until I find something.

Later i found on the net an other solution for this problem, it has nothing
to do with programing, but i will post the url anyhow.
Sure, the first way is much more interessting... I will definitly try it out, when i got more time. Whenever it will be ... ;)

(raaaaaaaaaaahhhh, I didn't even got the time to play shenmue, the problem with the vmu savegames told me a friend.)

Here's the URL for the simpler solution:

http://www.planetdreamcast.com/news/new ... ordcount=0
Wedgesama
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Wedgesama »

Ok... that post thing does NOT work. It is total bullshit.

I figure I'll ask here since you guys seem to know a bit more than the idiots at other forums I've asked at.

Shenmue II needs a European Shenmue I save to continue. Now, There has to be some way to convert a American Shenmue I save into something that the European Shenmue II can recognize. ANY help will be appreciated.

-Wedge
Dr Wily

Post by Dr Wily »

Hmmm. The problem with most European saves is that they come in 2 'flavours' - 50Hz and 60Hz, and they are both *totally* incompatible; in fact I can pretty much guarantee if you have a US telly (which Im guessing you do) and 50Hz saves will be unplayable.

My only suggestion would be to check out http://www.booyaka.com which is probably the best site for info about the VMU on the net.

And of course, if worst comes to worst, you might just have to bite the bullet and download a European Shenmue save... *make sure you get a 60Hz one if you do this*
Wedgesama
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Wedgesama »

Well, Shenmue II works fine on a 60hZ tv... which is weird... *shrugs* it doesn't work with a VGA, but works on a NSTC tv. -.-;;; Sega should have made it so we could convert easily! :evil:

Anyway... I tried Booyaka but couldn't find a European Shenmue I save... =.= any other VMU sites?

-Wedge
Dr Wily

Post by Dr Wily »

booyaka have apps that let you mess with saves, which is why I recomended them... the only other Euro VMU save sites I know about are the offical Sega UK Dreamarena (which I don't have a clue what the URL is) and the recently-deceased

http://www.vmucenter.co.uk or maybe it was http://www.vmucentre.co.uk

but neither are currently working...
Wedgesama
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Wedgesama »

Hmmm... ok. thanks

-Wedge
Sanchez
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Sanchez »

Does anyone have US vs European savegames? I mean they'd obviously be different, but I'm hoping it's within the header, and as such could be easily changed (unless they do nastiness and hash the data....)
Dr Wily

Post by Dr Wily »

Check the booyaka link I posted dirty; they have savegames for Japanese, US and UK versions...

also, slightly off topic, the reason theres a comparitive lack of Euro saves around is because the Euro Web Browser encypts files when uploading (presumably for security reasons) so you can't email saves like I believe you can on the US / JAP browsers; so only people with those Nexus thingys can upload save games... and as those nexus thingys were never released in Europe officially... well, you see the problem...
Wedgesama
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Wedgesama »

DirtySanchez... I have my Shenmue I cleared file, and two different European cleared files... -.- Except I don't know where to start...

-Wedge
Sanchez
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Sanchez »

Open them up in a hex editor... see what's the same and what's different....

If you want to send them to me, I'll see what I can find....
ReGex
FrNES Creator
FrNES Creator

Post by ReGex »

Your Shenmue I US savegame should work just fine. I got mine to work with import Shenmue II on the first try. Are you sure you're not just not using the interface right?? (Start New Game -> Use Clear File)

-ReGex
Wedgesama
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Wedgesama »

[quote="ReGex"]
Your Shenmue I US savegame should work just fine. I got mine to work with import Shenmue II on the first try. Are you sure you're not just not using the interface right?? (Start New Game -> Use Clear File)

-ReGex
[/quote]

Are you using the Japanese import? cuz it works with that one... but not with the European one.

-Wedge
ReGex
FrNES Creator
FrNES Creator

Post by ReGex »

Nope, My version is Euro, imported from the UK.
-ReGex
uNciViliZation
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by uNciViliZation »

8| from the UK and it works? damn... i should try it again :roll: but wait i think i started the new game like u described it and im also shure that i had the right vmu in the slot... but it didn't found my ShenMue I (US) savegame :(
ZeR01killah
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by ZeR01killah »

need to try it again too...

the url with a soultion to convert us savegames to pal isn't working anymore, fortunetly i copied the text. i will post it here, when i get home.
ZeR01killah
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by ZeR01killah »

"This explains how to convert ntsc saves to pal i think you will need this for shenmue2 pal version.. so people dont delete your old Shenmue Ntsc vmu file couse you can convert it and shenmue2 should come to europe so its a great thing to be able to convert the ntsc save to pal...

1. Download this.
http://user.tninet.se/~ndi657k/dci_vmi.zip

2. Email your save to yourself using DC Browser 2.0 or above. (just click attachments and u can attach the save)

3. Now go check yer email and download the save file, it will have the filename like this Shenm_us.vmi.

4. Rename the save file A.VMS.

5. Put A.VMS in the same dir as the program you downloaded in step 1 and run this command line. "DCI_VMI.COM A.VMS" (minus the "'s for you morons out there).

6. The program will ask these things.... (most of these settings dont matter anyways, but some of you people will get confused and ask so ill tell you exactly what to put)

Is A.VMS a (D)ata file or a (G)ame file? (D/G):
PICK D

Filename for DCI Output File (max = 8 chars, without .DCI):
JUST TYPE IN "NONE"

DCI File copyable? (Y/N)
PICK N

Filename that appears in VMU directory (max = 12 chars): (THIS IS VERY VERY
VERY IMPORTANT!) Type in Shenm_uk.vmi

VMI Program Description (max = 32 chars):
TYPE IN "NONE"

VMI Copyright Information (max = 32 chars):
TYPE IN "NONE" AGAIN

ALL DONE MAKING THE VMI HOOORAY!

7. Now, you end up with a file called NONE.DCI and A.VMI, delete NONE.DCI. Now what you need to do is upload the A.VMS and the A.VMI to some webspace somewhere. Once youve done that you can connect to the internet with your dc and put int he url for the VMI file. This will allow you to select the card you want to download the VMS to (make sure u have 80 blocks free).

8. Now that it is downloaded pop in the euro version of shenmue and use yer save, hooray."

Whether or not this method will work for sure has yet to be seen. I would imagine that if you happen to own both the US and PAL versions of of Shenmue, you could try it out and see what happens. The rest of us will have to wait until the sequel is released in Europe. Hopefully this information will get as many people playing the game as possible.

We'd like to once again thank SteelRush, figosamigos, IGN, and Shenmue Dojo for the information.[/url]
uNciViliZation
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by uNciViliZation »

Hey, ReGex... i tried it yesterday but it didn't work! im realy wondering why the hell it worked with u're Savegame... i asked some other DC Freaks and all said that ShenMue II didn't "see" the ShenMue I Savegame.

@Zer01killah >> what is Stefan doing? ;)
Will Work For Bandwidth ;]
ZeR01killah
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by ZeR01killah »

If anynoe tried this method above to convert the savegames, please give a report here.
thx