Sega is evil!

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
dude322mg
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Sega is evil!

Post by dude322mg »

I'm starting to really hate sega! My dreamcast now runs hardly ANY games anymore! Sega diserved to fail with the Dreamcast, in fact I think it was a mistake to make it! The how many systems have to fail until they realize that they should've went third party 3 systems ago :p. BTW, I probably will regret saying this but Im just really pissed right now.
(made by NeonGenesis)

Currently playin...

Mario Sunshine- 58 shines!

*Mr. Siggler is God**
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

STuff breaks, it happens.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Sultan of Saturn
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by Sultan of Saturn »

Exactly. Stuff does break. Get over it. Manufacturers grant 90 warranties that it will be free from defects. Car manufacturers usually give about 40,000 warranty. After these time periods, anything can happen. I have never had a console die on me and that includes all of my Sega systems. What does a Dreamcast cost these days? $40 used at pawn shops, $50 at Gamestop, for $75 worth of used games and accesories at EB you can pick up another one. Sega, Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, etc. are not all powerful and when you have many components, you are just playing the odds that none of them will go bad.
Formerly Known As "Chalavet".....
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Re: Sega is evil!

Post by |darc| »

dude322mg wrote:I'm starting to really hate sega! My dreamcast now runs hardly ANY games anymore! Sega diserved to fail with the Dreamcast, in fact I think it was a mistake to make it! The how many systems have to fail until they realize that they should've went third party 3 systems ago :p. BTW, I probably will regret saying this but Im just really pissed right now.

stfu.
It's thinking...
dude322mg
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by dude322mg »

Sultan of Saturn wrote:Exactly. Stuff does break. Get over it. Manufacturers grant 90 warranties that it will be free from defects. Car manufacturers usually give about 40,000 warranty. After these time periods, anything can happen. I have never had a console die on me and that includes all of my Sega systems. What does a Dreamcast cost these days? $40 used at pawn shops, $50 at Gamestop, for $75 worth of used games and accesories at EB you can pick up another one. Sega, Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, etc. are not all powerful and when you have many components, you are just playing the odds that none of them will go bad.

Yea, but I treat all my systems with great care and my SNES still works great but my dreamcast brakes within 3 years? I think thats fu cked up and my Genesis also broke! Even though I bought another one it still got me mad. BTW I got my new Genesis for just 5 dollars!
(made by NeonGenesis)

Currently playin...

*Mr. Siggler is God**
smelialichu
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by smelialichu »

Well that's the way it is with the 'more advanced' systems. They break easier, normally the lasers as you seem to have found out. t's sad but we have to live with it :(
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Maybe the GD drives were a mistake - they seem to wear out far to easily. I have personally only ever had two consoles break, and they were both Sega Master System v2s.

The first one broke when one of my friends tripped over the controller cable, causing the SMS to fall onto a concrete floor, which damaged the casing and the cartridge port, so we could only play Alex Kidd in Miracle World.

The second only broke because it got shipped by boat from Australia to England, and got damaged in transit.

Anyway, how many early model PSX and PS2s broke? And Xbox systems break too. Live with it.
The Kron
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by The Kron »

dude322mg wrote:Yea, but I treat all my systems with great care and my SNES still works great but my dreamcast brakes within 3 years? I think thats fu cked up and my Genesis also broke! Even though I bought another one it still got me mad. BTW I got my new Genesis for just 5 dollars!
Due to the fact that you have been playing backups on it has been a factor on the way your DC's motor and laser are now acting hence not being able play any games anymore, dont blame Sega for the problems on your DC that you have caused!.

I have had my Japanese Launch DC since December 1998 and it is still going as if it were brand new (not a single fault).

If you want to look at badly produced consoles go look at the first model Playstation and the Playstation 2 I dont know a single person that hasnt had a laser problem with them. I myself have had 3 Playstations (one after another having the jumpy FMV syndrome then suddenly deciding not to load a single game) and my Japanese PS2 has started showing problems over the last few months.
CupNoodle
Jim Dandy!

Post by CupNoodle »

The Kron wrote:
dude322mg wrote:Yea, but I treat all my systems with great care and my SNES still works great but my dreamcast brakes within 3 years? I think thats fu cked up and my Genesis also broke! Even though I bought another one it still got me mad. BTW I got my new Genesis for just 5 dollars!
Due to the fact that you have been playing backups on it has been a factor on the way your DC's motor and laser are now acting hence not being able play any games anymore, dont blame Sega for the problems on your DC that you have caused!.

I have had my Japanese Launch DC since December 1998 and it is still going as if it were brand new (not a single fault).

If you want to look at badly produced consoles go look at the first model Playstation and the Playstation 2 I dont know a single person that hasnt had a laser problem with them. I myself have had 3 Playstations (one after another having the jumpy FMV syndrome then suddenly deciding not to load a single game) and my Japanese PS2 has started showing problems over the last few months.
Well i agree with Kron that backups are a stupid idea and that its your fault that the dreamcast broke. But with the comment about the faulty Playstations and PS2s, my PS2 is fine, (granted it's only 10 months old) but ive opened it up to check the insides twice now. and my PSX i bought in 98, and it works quite fine as well.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Those PSX and PS2s were not the launch versions. They were probably 6th revision PS2, and at least 3rd or 4th revision PSX. By then, they had sorted out a lot of the problems, but the original Japanese PSX/PS2s were very badly made.
Heliophobe
Smeg Creator
Smeg Creator

Post by Heliophobe »

I think we're destined to see more modern consoles fail that in earlier days - in addition to the very powerful components they're expected to shoehorn into a small, cheap package, all modern platforms have moving parts - The Dreamcast has the drive motor, the laser arm, and a cooling fan (or 2?). These things tend to wear out faster than solid state technology.

True of the old stuff, too - my Atari 800 still works, but the disk drive is long since dead. My Amiga 500 works, but the hard drive failed long ago.

I also had a PSX die on me, it still starts up but the drive can't read discs any more. I got it around the time that PSX's dropped in price from $299 to $199. These things happen.
dude322mg
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by dude322mg »

The Kron wrote:

O...K... how the hell would you know that I run back-ups?

Oh and I never had a problem with my playstation or my PS2. Yet all my sega systems break. And even if I did run back-up's, EVERYONE hear runs CD-R's on there dreamcasts whether it'd be back-ups, emu's, homebrew games, ect... ect...
(made by NeonGenesis)

Currently playin...

*Mr. Siggler is God**
dude322mg
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by dude322mg »

Heliophobe wrote:I also had a PSX die on me, it still starts up but the drive can't read discs any more. I got it around the time that PSX's dropped in price from $299 to $199. These things happen.
Oh well lets all just assume now that Heliophobe is running backups. Its your fault your PSX broke, dont blame Sony for your problems :roll:
(made by NeonGenesis)

Currently playin...

*Mr. Siggler is God**
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

Man, just adjust the pot on the Dreamcasts laser, little by little till it reads games again.

I've had my Dreamcast for 2 years now, and its working as well as it did as when I bought the thing. However, I wish I could say my PS2 would do that, has problems reading DVD games sometimes.
dude322mg
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by dude322mg »

Dude, arent all PS2 games DVD-ROM's?
(made by NeonGenesis)

Currently playin...

*Mr. Siggler is God**
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

Nope, some are CD, most are DVD.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

dude322mg - DC backups are a very specific case. The DC games were designed to run from a GD, not a CD. If you transfer them to a CD, you have to move all the data around. That data was ordered carefully to not wear the drive out, and to make it load faster. Backups loose this, making the drive work much harder during the game.

DC homebrew stuff is usually OK, because it hardly accesses the CD at all. Emulators read at most a couple of megs from one continuous file at startup, and that's nothing.

PSX backups are the same media as the originals, as are many PS2 backups. That means that they will wear the drive just as fast as a normal game will, because the things are nearly identical.
The Kron
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by The Kron »

dude322mg wrote:O...K... how the hell would you know that I run back-ups?
Because I remember when you started on this site you ran a hotline server that had DCwarez on it, and in your early posting life you were very obvious.
dude322mg wrote:And even if I did run back-up's, EVERYONE hear runs CD-R's on there dreamcasts whether it'd be back-ups, emu's, homebrew games
Answered above by BlackAura, the way an emulator and warezed game run from a cdr are different. Emus and roms access the drive for a limited time, but a backup game is constantly using the drive and making it work harder.
reaper2k2
DC Developer
DC Developer

well

Post by reaper2k2 »

Ive never had a sega system die yet i have a sega 3000 for god's sake lol

the one before the mastersystem it works fine even today it was made 1983,

as for the back up thing thats some what true though some emulators like dreamsnes thats got no roms list will wear out your dc much faster

really though my dc is the first 1998 version and when i bought it it came with about 30 backups its showing no signs of wear at the moment

in aussie most of the dc games never came here the only way to buy them is backups for some game's people charge almost the some money as the real disk Lmao

ive replaced most of the backs with real dc games though by now i just like to have the real thing since im a collector of these things.....

ive replaced 25 of the the 30 now with real games

wish i could buy D2 i pay $50 au for it if i could
http://homebrew.dcemulation.com/dcgames/ *homebrew webbrowser games *

http://r2k2gate.topcities.com *dev site and my releases*
Im' a Commodorian are you?
mariobro
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mariobro »

:?

Yeah, I think the problem lies in the media format...

Just look at a sports game, where the drive is constantly accesing the disc.

Also, miniaturization. I, personally, could have lived with a bigger dreamcast, with better cooling, and an outboard power supply.

These things are meant for entertainment, so they shouldn't be that fragile.

it's very frustrating when the most complex components in a console (main processor, GPU) are in perfect condition, and its only the pickup (laser) that's busted.

But as they've said, the PS had its fair share of problems...

It's also frustrating when you're trying to assemble a nice collection of original games (45 in my case), and your console breaks, and some dork with 150 backups enjoys his DC with no problems whatsoever...
"Until I finally made it, life was kinda hit or miss...
And I'd love to talk philosophy, but I gotta take a piss"
-David Lee Roth