why do we emulate on the dreamcast?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ZacMc »

mik wrote:
Hollywood Hasney wrote: Yep, soon to be public beta. From what I heard now, full-speed without sound :mrgreen:

"The dreamcast is more powerful than a ps2" Exsqueeze me? Especially not in arcade emulation terms since it has 128mb of RAM

"We will be on PS3 before PS2 is hacked" Again... HUH? Theres been demos running off of CDRs for about a year now, visit http://www.napalm-x.com Theres even a coders cable

I doubt GC will be hacked much... it don't even READ CDs
I don't think HH wrote all that..
dcemuler
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by dcemuler »

hmmm....
it's simple ,
1) SEGA RULEZ 4 EVER
2) I'M NOT GOING TO BUY ANOTHER CONSOLE THAT IS NOT FROM SEGA
3)DC has a excellent video card ( play house of the dead 2 )
4)I can't play shenmue & sonic adventure on pc
5) excelent joystick
6) vmu to easily trade files with my friend ( much better than floppy disk)
7) I can EASILY connect my tv to a stereo sound
and thousands of things , but I have more important stuff to do than keep saying why we prefer dc emulation than pc emulation
Seeking only strenght
Couldness that could burn a person
Throwing away pride
Stopping time with hatred
orgazmo
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by orgazmo »

I have to agree with Hasney...
I grew up playing my nes on my dad's 46" television and when I moved out on my own, I bought a 64" bigscreen tv...
Once you're used to playing games on those, emulation on the pc just doesn't really impress, no matter how superior the emulators may be at the time...
It should also be noted that the pc emulators are good because they've had such time to become so.
Who would have thought back at the time of the DC's launch that in just a few years, we'd be playing the nes and master system at near perfection, plus (in a slightly less perfect state) playing the 2600, genesis, snes, doom, quake, wolfenstein and many other amazing emulators on the dc from the comfort of our own living rooms. Just imagine with the leaps that have been made already, what is still to come...
Van_Lardo
DCEmu Hanger On
DCEmu Hanger On

Post by Van_Lardo »

2 people here have 64 inch TVs?!!! :O

I'm DEFINITELY getting into the games industry if that's what you can get! Even a hanger on such as myself can only scrape together a 34 inch telly (which I thought was massive... I guess size DOES matter!... Unfortunately... :oops: )

(By the way... speaking of size mattering... the board seems to have gotten much bigger! I never used to have to scroll left/right to see the whole page before! :? Whassupwitdat? Although the emoticons have been updated too... Nice! :twisted:
Image http://www.geocities.com/vanlardo HELP! I CAN'T POST ANY MORE MESSAGES! I KEEP GETTING MESSAGES TELLING ME TO COME BACK LATER!
IUG-13

Post by IUG-13 »

dcemuler wrote: hmmm....
it's simple ,
1) SEGA RULEZ 4 EVER
2) I'M NOT GOING TO BUY ANOTHER CONSOLE THAT IS NOT FROM SEGA
3)DC has a excellent video card ( play house of the dead 2 )
4)I can't play shenmue & sonic adventure on pc
5) excelent joystick
6) vmu to easily trade files with my friend ( much better than floppy disk)
7) I can EASILY connect my tv to a stereo sound
and thousands of things , but I have more important stuff to do than keep saying why we prefer dc emulation than pc emulation
Let's see...
1 - Yup
2 - Yup
3 - Yup
4 - ehh
5 - Yup
6 - Yup
7 - Yup and amen!
dcemuler
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by dcemuler »

Who was the genius who had the idea of make emulation on dreamcast???
Seeking only strenght
Couldness that could burn a person
Throwing away pride
Stopping time with hatred
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

Yea good ques!
:lol:
In the words of Q-Tip : Looking for vibes or positivity, not negativity / 'Cause we gotta strive for longevity by online gaming
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Two words:

Jimi Hendrix
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
RC
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

DC4ever!

Post by RC »

Well, another thing is PC Gaming sucks anyway.. It's all based on system requirements and is made up of losers(Gets hit by a pipe). Not to mention a TV is way better than a monitor(With any fancy graphics card) and it gives you more of a classic feeling that way. Not to mention Dreamcast's controller kicks ass :D
Sakiru
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Sakiru »

PC gaming is superior as far as FPS/RTS are concerned. How ever I would take a nice console RPG over any PC RPG, with the exception of DiabloII (but it isn't even really that much of an rpg). Now that we have that cleared up, why DC is a great system for EMU:

1)No modding required
2)Putting the system to work
3)Can be obtained cheaply
4)Has the coolest memory card (VMU)
5)Did I mention no modding?
Heliophobe
Smeg Creator
Smeg Creator

Post by Heliophobe »

why do we bump seven month old threads?
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure »

Heliophobe wrote:why do we bump seven month old threads?
i guess he wanted to say something. nothing wrong with that.
How many more people do the Radical Islamic Subhuman Cockroaches have to kill before people realize they need to be taken out ?
FFXI Server: Gilgamesh
FFXIV Server: Figaro
Liberals click here !!!!
ndr008
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by ndr008 »

another thing, PC games requiring installing it so HDD space, drivers, and updates, patches for your hardware, bug with certain devices, incompatibity due to OSes etc, too much crap to get a game running.

And that is why i still prefer consoles, just connect, slap in CD, and get gamming, conenct another couple of joypads, and you're multiplaying.

Other then that, when it comes to top end graphics, obviously you have to go for a PC. I have an ATI Radeon 8500 with TV out and hook it to the TC, and use my PSX pad on the PC with a 1024x768 res, or play need for speed V at 1600x1200 on the 19"" monitor, just beautiful.

But consoles are way more practical, sure u might not reach such peaks of graphics, but at least u can buy a game with the asssurance that when u go home, if all ur hardware still works, all will be running flawlessly, no installs and shit like that.

:wink:
reptilezero
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by reptilezero »

you know if you get tv out, and a psx-usb adapter for your pc, you'll never go back to playing emus on the dc...NNNesterJ blows away nester on the DC :) not to mention zinc is pretty kick ass, along with zsnes, mame, etc :)

edit - hehe :) someone already knows the joys of tv out and psx pads i see :)
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

this is a bit late of a reply to the orinigal topic but lets just put it this way. to quote president Kennedy, "we dont do it because its easy, we do it because its hard". many of us could go to programing for the xbox with its easy to port system, but why? that takes the fun outa it, the challenge.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

meh, sometimes its nice to try a whole lot of different stuff without having to defrag your HDD because youve been creating / deleting lots of files.

Hopefully thats a good enough answer to see this question die for another 7 months :o
Sakiru
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Sakiru »

I didn't bump the thread. It was right near the top of the forum. So... yeah.
Chaniyth
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Chaniyth »

This answer is simple... we have Dreamcast, it's a multifunction machine, therefore we emulate on it.

It can also be simpler, by saying... Because the Dreamcast can do it.
All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you.
Hawke
Wastelander

Post by Hawke »

...that and it reads cdr's with no modchip :D
Chaniyth
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Chaniyth »

Holly Hasney wrote:Yep, soon to be public beta. From what I heard now, full-speed without sound :mrgreen:

"The dreamcast is more powerful than a ps2" Exsqueeze me? Especially not in arcade emulation terms since it has 128mb of RAM

"We will be on PS3 before PS2 is hacked" Again... HUH? Theres been demos running off of CDRs for about a year now, visit http://www.napalm-x.com Theres even a coders cable

I doubt GC will be hacked much... it don't even READ CDs
Uh, PS2 doesn;t have 128megs of RAM! It's only got 32megs of RDRAM, and 4megs of video ram.
All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you.