Sega brand VMU - Battery life

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Chaniyth
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Sega brand VMU - Battery life

Post by Chaniyth »

Is there away to extend the life of the batteries (for the LCD) on Sega brand VMU's? I put mine on sleep, and the batteries still drain??? :| :?:
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

There is a relatively simple mod you can make that let's it run on standard batteries or through an AC adaptor.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Yea I don't understand why they have to drain power from the batteries when ou have it shut off but they do. With Average use they die in 1 or 2 months I have found. Best thing to do is just take the batterys out when not useing it. Or make that mod they are talking about.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
H-Guy
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by H-Guy »

One way to help it is to not keep the card plugged into the controller.
Chaniyth
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Chaniyth »

I think that's what caused it... drat!
H-Guy wrote:One way to help it is to not keep the card plugged into the controller.
All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

H-Guy wrote:One way to help it is to not keep the card plugged into the controller.
Nah I took the card out of my controller and it still died in like 2 months of not useing it.
H-Guy
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by H-Guy »

Veggita2099 wrote:
Nah I took the card out of my controller and it still died in like 2 months of not useing it.
Yes, I know that too, I guess thats the average battery life on those VMUs but keeping the VMU not connected with the controller is key to keeping those batteries from being severely drained.

I dont play the VMU games so I dont really worry about it. On top of that it looks like if the batteries die your game saves are not lost.

Basically, its not the end of the world.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

H-Guy wrote:
Veggita2099 wrote:
Yes, I know that too, I guess thats the average battery life on those VMUs but keeping the VMU not connected with the controller is key to keeping those batteries from being severely drained.

I dont play the VMU games so I dont really worry about it. On top of that it looks like if the batteries die your game saves are not lost.

Basically, its not the end of the world.
None of the games was ever worth playing. They had less gameplay then a Atari 2600 game. Only ones I played was Chao Adventures (sonic adventure 1) and Pita's Quest.
someoneElse
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by someoneElse »

H-Guy wrote: Yes, I know that too, I guess thats the average battery life on those VMUs but keeping the VMU not connected with the controller is key to keeping those batteries from being severely drained.

They're not going to drain any less noticably in or out of the controller socket.
Most people never use the VMU games it seems, but why waste the batteries if you don't have to, right?

The only sure-fire way to keep them from dying out is to keep your little plastic Tabs that are inserted into the battery compartment when you buy a new VMU, or to make one yourself.
Can you survive Darwin's Blade? Sign up Today