Dreamcast still has 2 to 3 more good years left!

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Chaniyth
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dreamcast still has 2 to 3 more good years left!

Post by Chaniyth »

Well, the Dreamcast was introduced in the US in September of 1999, which marked a new era of videogaming, the first true 128-bit system that can still whoop todays systems... yes I honestly beleive it does/can.

However, Sega decided to kill off it's ultimate creation at an early life, however as we all know, in the console world, a console lasts 5 to 6 years before a new console comes out, thus this means Dreamcast has 2 - 3 more years before it's "death" according to the console realm of life.

I think and I feel professional development houses really should start coding for the Dreamcast again, they should look at it's fanbase and rethink their thinking... heck even Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 was released a few days ago for the Nintendo 64 (What the heck kind of poppy-c*ck crap is that!?) I know that games would still sell quite well for the Dreamcast! :)
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Sorry but ps2, Gamecube, and Xbox are all better then the dreamcast in there hardware aspects. That is a fact not a opinion. As far as the games goes that is completely opinion based. The reason Sega canned the DReamcast is simply because they was not making enough money. That means people was not buying enough of the games for it. There was some good games for it but not enough to keep people happy apparently. Some people blame warez, some just say Sega pulled the Plug. Personally I beleive people don't trust Sega Consoles. a lot of people feel screwed over the Sega 32x, Sega CD, Sega Saturn, Game Gear, etc etc. My friend bought the Saturn the day it came out and he was furious when it failed. He will never buy a Sega System again. I was screwed on the Game Gear I paid 150 bucks for that thing and like a year later it bombed. NEver was any good games for that system if you ask me.

The only thing I find amazeing however is the fact that Sega had a modem and on-line gaming ready the day the Dreamcast was released. However the ps2 nor the gamecube even has a modem with it! Im not sure about X-box but I know ps2 nor GAmecube is up and on-line yet in the U.S.

But still newer consoles are better that is why there still on the market. Just about everybody who has a dreamcast more then likely has one of the 3 consoles on the market. For the ones that don't chances are they are either poor, or plan to get one soon. If they are poor then they wouldn't be buying 50 dollar games anyways. So it would be better to make games on the newer consoles which has a higher fanbase and better system specs.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Kiley
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Kiley »

It better last another 3 years - I cant afford a GCN, PS2 or XBox

:(

Kiley
Daniel Kiley is still "dreaming"
anal=probe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by anal=probe »

Hollywood Hasney wrote:
Veggita2099 wrote:The only thing I find amazeing however is the fact that Sega had a modem and on-line gaming ready the day the Dreamcast was released. However the ps2 nor the gamecube even has a modem with it! Im not sure about xbox but I know ps2 nor GAmecube is up and on-line yet in the U.S.
PS2 is the only one online yet out of the 3 :)
Yeah, and for quite a while too.... ever since Tony Hawk 3 has been in stores.
drunkensailor
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by drunkensailor »

gamegear had better games then ANY other handheld machine,like shining force,phantasy star and mini panzer dragoon,great games!!!

about the fact that people don't trust sega that's a crap story,never any of my sega systems died nor did any of my friends eventhough I've heard numerous story's about psx's who broke down within a year and a nes system will ALWAYS die after 2 years or so
come in peace and leave in pieces

life is hard but the frontside of a train is harder
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

drunkensailor wrote:gamegear had better games then ANY other handheld machine,like shining force,phantasy star and mini panzer dragoon,great games!!!

about the fact that people don't trust sega that's a crap story,never any of my sega systems died nor did any of my friends eventhough I've heard numerous story's about psx's who broke down within a year and a nes system will ALWAYS die after 2 years or so
It's not that SEGA systems break, it's that they fail as consoles and never get enough decent games (excluding Dreamcast and Mega Drive).
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Chaniyth
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Chaniyth »

I'm not talking technically more advanced, i'm just saying Dreamcast CAN handle todays games quite well.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Well, according to the standard lifecycle, the DC should be officially obsolete in 2004. So, it would still, in theory, be getting games produced for it that might be as good as, say, new PS2 games. But unfortunately, we'll never know that for certain.

Oddly, Sega systems never failed much in 'Europe' (which means anywhere but Japan/US). The SMS was more popular than the NES, the GG had a lot of games made for it for a long time after in was discontinued in the US, and the Euro Saturn outlasted the US/Japan versions too.

I think that the GameCube and XBox are far more powerful than the DC, but I'm not too sure about the PS2. Yes, it is slightly more powerful, but the specs are so close and the systems work sufficiently differently that you can never be sure. I do know that early DC games looked/played better than early PS2 games, despite being released a year or two earlier.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

drunkensailor wrote:gamegear had better games then ANY other handheld machine,like shining force,phantasy star and mini panzer dragoon,great games!!!

I played tons of Gamegear games and didnt like any of them. I couldn't tell you how many fun Gameboy games I have played though.
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

Hollywood Hasney wrote:Anyways, for that opinion about the GG, I think it was 0wned by the Lynx and NGP anyways :P
Given that the NGP was a few years after the GG then there aint much to think about is there? of course it were better. The Lynx might have been a contender for the colour pocket console market but for 2 facts, 1 it ate battaries at an alarming rate & 2 it couldn't fit in your pocket even if you were wearing clown pants, some alright games for it though (mainly ports like Gauntlet & Rampage). The GG biggest advantage was that it was a pocket SMS, great news if you can find a second hand one with the adaptor, which gave it tons of games (admitidly not all good, but there was some great games).
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
Chaniyth
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Chaniyth »

Atari Lynx, NEC Turbo Express, and Nintendo Game Boy were Sega Gamegear's main competitors.
SonicJam

Post by SonicJam »

Veggita2099 wrote:a lot of people feel screwed over the Sega 32x, Sega CD, Sega Saturn, Game Gear, etc etc.
The gamegear didn't fail. It lasted from 1991 until 1997. It had like 200-300 games or something, and a LOT more if you used the master system to gamegear adaptor.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

SonicJam wrote:
Veggita2099 wrote:a lot of people feel screwed over the Sega 32x, Sega CD, Sega Saturn, Game Gear, etc etc.
The gamegear didn't fail. It lasted from 1991 until 1997. It had like 200-300 games or something, and a LOT more if you used the master system to gamegear adaptor.
I bought mine is 1996 towards the end of the year. I never did find that many games for it around here. I remember playing 2 different sonic games, Robocop vs terminator, Mortal Kombat, X-men, Some pool table game, and thats about it. None of them was any fun to me.

Yea I guess it technically didn't fail but compared to Gameboy it did. I mean even now Gameboy regular games still sell for 15 bucks or so. Considering they was made back in the same era that NES games was that is pretty good.